Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Religious Islamic mobile phone from Ilkome

Author Religious Islamic mobile phone from Ilkome
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-25 05:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Here's another Islamic Mobile i came across Compass Mobile Phone for Muslims.

LG Electronics (LGE) has created a buzz in the mobile phone industry after developing a device that especially caters to the religious and geographic needs of the huge Middle East Muslim market.

LGE announced that the company has completed the development of a GPRS mobile phone (model: G5300) equipped with a compass and programmed to indicate direction. This cell phone can point towards Mecca (Quiblah), a service that will prove very useful for Muslims. The company has launched the product on the market already.

Muslims perform Salat (prayers) to Allah in their prescribed ritual five times a day - at sunrise, noon, afternoon, sunset, and midnight. They have to face the direction of Kaaba (the House of Allah) in Mecca, but they have difficulty locating the direction in the desert.

By setting the -5300-compass to the north and inputting their location information, Muslims can now easily find the direction of Mecca. With this feature, the handset positions itself as a specialized functional phone in the Middle East market. In particular, it is expected to spur a boom in the region because the compass may be used even where GPS services are unavailable.

In addition to the Arab nations, LGE is set to expand the compass phone market to target the 1.1 billion Muslims all over the world, including those in Asian nations such as Malaysia and Indonesia. [addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-25 06:23
As you you would have noticed in my news article the ilkone i-800 has now been launched more details in my news report:

http://www.esato.com/news/article.php/id=102 [addsig]
JaymoFish
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2004-06-29 15:07
Wow, what an interesting idea... but I dont really see why phones need to have religous stuff on the initial firmware.
Just set a daily alarm for all your prayer times .
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-16 01:48
The Ilkone i-800,has now shipped in the Netherlands, and will soon become available France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, Belgium and Bosnia. The phone has been available in Lebanon, Malaysia, Turkey and Indonesia for some time.The Ilkone i800 not only has a built-in compass that points toward Mecca, but also contains a complete electronic copy of the Koran (along with a translation into English and a mini search engine).
[addsig]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-16 01:50
any info how big is the interest and how many were sold?
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-16 01:55
I dont have any information as to how many have been sold so far but i presume quite a few have been as this is a very usefull instrument for practicing muslims the world over. [addsig]
solidsingh
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-16 17:46
wers the sikh version?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-16 18:15
lol ask a Sikh expert, you could easily say where's the Shinto, Christian and Buddha version.

Anyway this is to comment on the Muslim phone not where is the others.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi