@Grimslade
Cheers mate, T610 here we come...

[ This Message was edited by: mince-inside on 2004-10-21 07:25 ]
shark0
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-27 18:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Has anyone tried this with K700, as I am looking at diferent options for car kit, and what to now this works for other before being the first to try it.
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-27 19:00
so how tiz works? the caller's voice is heard tru the car's speakers?? radio/music is stop etc etc when theres a call..
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-27 19:03
would it be possible for you to take pictures of your installation or somehow post the installation manual on here?? i'm really interested in how it's installed...

thanks a lot
Grimslade
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2004-10-27 19:31
SharkO--I haven't yet, but I will try it with a K700, hopefully before the week is out. I'll let you know. I see no reason it shouldn't work fine.

@moogoo & 02--I would, but as I said, I chickened out and had a car audio shop do it. Before I wimped out though, I learned quite a bit. Here's what I know:

The kit comes with a small wiring harness and a speaker. It is possible to plug the unit directly into the supplied speaker and stow the speaker somewhere, like in the driver's-side footwell. If you do that, you only need to plug in a handful of things:
1.) Plug the speaker and the supplied mike into the command unit (which also needs to be hidden away somewhere like under the central console or in the footwell).
2.) Plug the button thing (that's the technical term; cf. the picture above for what I'm talking about) into the command unit and stick that onto your dash wherever it will fit (TBT is wired, so you'll need to thread the wires somewhere, of course...)
That leaves four wires: a black ground (earth) wire, which can be stuck to frame at any ground point you can find; a red 12V direct line, which needs constant power from the battery; a blue "ignition-sense" wire which basically needs 12V when the key is turned and 0v when not; and (optional) a yellow "telemute" wire. If you have a telemute pin on the back of your car stereo, hooking this in there will automatically mute the radio when you're on the phone (or the phone rings).
This is the stock setup, and if you go this way, your biggest challenge is finding constant 12V to tap into (some people use the lighter, which is usually tied to the ignition. But to do it right you want both constant 12v and ignition-sense 12v). This is where I chickened out; my car is six months old, and I just couldn't see myself chopping into my wiring harness and poking around with a multimeter looking for live wires.
All that said, I use a different setup (see below). The guy who reviewed it on mobile burn does it the way I describe above, and says the volume and sound-quality are A-OK.
But, as I said, I don't do it that way. I've bought the HCE-14 (I think?) Advanced Music Mute, which is somewhat misleadingly named since the yellow wire in the stock set up also mutes the music. What the HCE really does is pipe the sound from the handsfree through the stereo speakers. The HCE-14 (or whatever) is basically an extra wiring harness that you put between your radio and your speakers.
But... (confused yet?), the Advanced Music Mute won't do you much good unless you have ISO connectors on the back of your stereo (some do, some don't). If you don't, you might as well buy a third-party wiring harness, which will solve both the stereo-speaker problem and the power-supply problem at the same time. There are a few web sites that sell these; a complete harness runs 40 bucks or so, depending on the radio, etc.

So, to summarize: If you have a wiring harness for your car, and don't mind tearing up a lot of the fascia to run the wiring discreetly, you can probably get it done yourself. (Final point: Some cars are "pre-wired" for hands-free kits. If yours is, you probably have a connector somewhere behind the dash or glovebox into which you can plug or wire all of the connectors mentioned above. Whether or not you are prewired will depend on the age of the car as well as it's place in the product-line food-chain; the higher-end the car, the more likely it is to be prewired...)

Does that answer all your questions? Seriously, if not, let me know. I spent a lot of time learning about all this, and since I didn't install it myself, I'd like to put it to some use, if only to help others.

Brian

[ This Message was edited by: Grimslade on 2004-10-27 18:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Grimslade on 2004-10-27 18:57 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-28 03:46
that kinda helps.. hehe.. your "technical" terms need some work but that gives me an idea of what comes with the kit and what i need to do. that in mind i have a few options that i can look into and i will update this thread when i eventually get it installed, most likely with pictures too!! of course i won't be installing it for awhile since i dont have any money to spend on it at the moment so this might not happen until sometime in 2005 and hopefully the price will be cheaper then too

but thanks a lot.. it helped
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-28 23:26
@Grimslade
Thanx for the brief explaination... hahaha... its very usefull... with the colour led and all... but wat happens if there are 2 phones and both bluetooth in on, in the car? Which phone will it connect too??
Grimslade
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2004-10-29 00:30
It will connect to whichever phone it was connected to last, by default. If it can't find that phone, it searches for all the other paired phones in turn until it finds one within range. You toggle through the paired phones by hitting the button on the button thingie.
shark0
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-29 08:55
I am getting this unit installed today, I will update on my testing after I have got it installed.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-29 21:08
nice... pictures would be appreciated sharky
YEOPK
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 08:25
Nice picture. I used to have car hands free kit in the early 90s with my NEC phone. It is very useful indeed if u always travel alone. But if u are with someone, it can be quite inconvenient cos your conversation can b heard loud and clear. U know what guys like to talk about...!
However, costs is a factor here. It will cost about GBP300 plus installation here. With that sort of money, I could get myself a new Tungsten T4, although driving without handsfree can get me a police ticket.
equusmedical
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-23 23:57
K700i sync problems.

I have noted with my HCB-300 that probably 1 in 20 times I get in the car it can't find the phone, or the phone can't pair with HCB-300.

I believe it is the phone that is at fault and may have something to do with pairing it with PC at home, going to my car and the phone confuses itself and doesn't pair with car. Might be wrong on this.

EM
Grimslade
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-02-24 12:18
It happens to me with the K700 occasionally as well. I too suspect the phone, since it never seems to have a problem with the t610. When it does, I just select the the hcb as my handsfree before I drive off.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi