Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Agile Messenger and everyones problems

123  Next
Author Agile Messenger and everyones problems
kpence
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-04 01:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There are so many threads on here concerning the connectivity issue of agile messenger 2.0...it all boils down to: the old version used port 80 which is open for WAP gprs accounts and version 2.0 uses other ports which are CLOSED on most WAP accounts for most of the providers. AM 2.0 does NOT work on Tmobile Tzones, only on Tmobile Internet. I think most users cannot justify to spend an extra $19.99 (the cost of Tmobile Internet here in the US) a month on their mobile service just to chat. I have seen so many people say on this and about 3 other forums that they cannot use this program anymore because of this issue......emailing agilemobile does nothing because they don't seem to care. You would think that a company who makes a program that seems to be so popular as agilemessenger would at least make some sort of statement on their website about this issue. I know it is a freeware program, but they have lost so many users. It is a great program. Maybe if we all emailed agilemobile, they would address the issue....I have emailed them 3 times about it and got no responce. Their website even says they wont respond to email questions about freeware....i hate to say this, but FIX the problem and charge like $12 or so and give support for it.

Doesnt someone from AgileMobile read this forum?????
jtrascap
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-04 12:35
You can change it - t-moibile in the Netherlands uses a different server for Internet connectivity.

Before I go any farther - there seems to still be a MSN problem. My P800 seems not to like MSN much as the users are never connecting or updating. ICQ still works like a champ though, so I blame MSN.

Anyway, to get Internet connectivity, give this a try:
* Disconnect from GPRS.
* Go to your Control Panel > Connections tab > Internet Accounts
* Select your GPRS setting, then click on the EDIT button.
* Then the ADVANCED button
* You'll be looking at your Tmobile login and password. The Address has to be changed from "wap" to "internet".
* Click on the PROXY tab and TURN OFF any Proxy settings.
* Click DONE and DONE and DONE and try it again.

Now, this works in the Dutch T-Mobile system, so it should work for you. I had to call T-Mobile and sound techy enough to get second-tier help, which had the information (and frankly, I *am* that techie. I can make an operator cry...)

Good luck...
kpence
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 01:04
Nope...doesnt work. TMobile US has an internet account which is different from the WAP account and you have to pay a lot more for it. So, unless you are paying for the internet account, changing the address to "internet" or "internet2.voicestream.com" doesnt do anything and not even the built in browser will work. So for us here in the US, especially on Tmobile, there are 2 solutions: pay $19.99 a month extra, or hope AgileMobile changes it back so that it connects to a master server. As a matter of fact, IM+ and TipicME also DO NOT WORK with tmobile for the exact same reason.
bensonl
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-03-05 22:46
Kpence is right on!!
If u r on T-mobile USA u can only connect to AM2 with the $19.99 internet plan. The t-zone plans wont work. I'm on the $19.99 and can access AM2 (and several other programs). Did not work when I was on $4.99 t-zones. Changing the name wont fool the serve either (tried that too last month).
Don't think I would have gotten the internet plan just for AM2. But some of u out there may think different.
Excellent summary Kpence.
Life gives u a thousand chances, all u need 2 do is take one. (PA, USA - P900 T-Mobile)
jtrascap
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-06 13:17
Seriously - this is a problem with YOUR T-Mobile, not T-Mobile in general.

Here in Europe you pay for GPRS and per-megabyte, so it's to their advantage to leave the system open for you to abuse. You might be on a flat-fee GPRS system there, which could explain the difference in access. Since they're supporting your access by flattening the price, you're probably supposed to play in their backyards, kind of like the first AOL, Compuserve or eWorld.

Guess that'll change with competition, but let's get back on topic.

There IS a problem with MSN, but I can't tell if it's with Agile or network servers locking up these ports...it took a long time for any account to come online. Most of my contacts didn't see me as available, and now that I seem to have it working, friends on the KPN service are having troubles with their previously-working accounts.

Weirdness - at least port 80 always works. Perhaps Agile can be convinced to add a "Always Use Port 80" option.

[ This Message was edited by: jtrascap on 2004-03-06 12:23 ]
nkasuri
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-06 23:20
I'm using Agile Messenger on GPRS in Pakistan. It seems to work flawlessly here. I haven't had trouble chatting with any of my contacts, and I can see them as soon as they come online (and vice vera i'm assuming). If someone adds me to their contact list, I get a message on my phone. Works just like MSN on my Mac. Pretty damn good. I am paying a per mb charge for GPRS however. So I doubt they've blocked off any ports.

[ This Message was edited by: nkasuri on 2004-03-06 22:20 ]
kpence
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-07 03:45
The T-Mobile US gprs is unlimited for a flat rate fee. That is why it seems that only people in the US can't use AM2 on either of the tzones plans. TM used to charge 2.99 for 1mb a month, but they decided it was too difficult to monitor usage so they made it unlimited and raised the cost a little. It is kinda funny because Opera works fine for me and i can view anything on the net I can with my home pc. I told TM that and they said that was impossibl, then they asked what phone I had which I told them and then the conversation was over..."we do not support that phone, i cannot help you any further".
coolfighter
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-07 07:07
Greeting
i have install Agile messenger on p900 , it connect to msn and it worked with me , but the problem is that it doesn't show anyone online . all on my list are offline , even if i open nsn on pc i see all my users online , go back to Agile messenger its all offline , i receive messages i can read them but cant reply , it say user offline , so pls guys what do u think is the problem
kpence
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-07 16:21
I have heard of several people who have had the same problem. I think it is probably a server issue. I know agilemobile has had problems with their servers and it has caused problems like yours.
ionur
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-07 17:04
I have the same problem with msn. I cannot reply because the contacts seem to be offline. ICQ works fine though.
kpence
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-08 21:32
I would guess you are not in the US. Or you are not on Tmobile....I am curious to know if there is anyone in the US who uses ATT or Cingular and has not had any problems with AM2.
ghettokidd_3187
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-09 20:27
Let me give my 2 cents. I live in Chicago. I have the T-Mobile T-Zones PRO plan and Unlimited Internet Plan. Dunno if they're the same but oh well. NEwho I can't connect to IM+ or AgileMessenger. Tried alot, but can't do it. I had a Nokia 6610 before I had purchased my P900 with same plan and everything, and when I had a messenger app installed it would connect (though sometimes it wouldn't). It would really help if someone would do something about it or atleast tell me what I'm doing wrong.
kpence
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-03-09 22:34
unless you have the $19.99 Tmobile Internet plan, you cannot connect with AM2. That is the only plan which supports it.
jtrascap
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-03-10 11:22
Ghettokid - check with your Tmobile service group. When they send you the automatic setup for the phone, they always send only the WAP settings...I've NEVER heard of them sending the correct Internet settings without having to manually communicate with them.

In the Internet profile, under the ADVANCED button, there is an address field. In the Netherlands we have to change this:

Last year it needed to go from "wap" to "internet_am2"

This year there's been an "upgrade" and it's gone now from "wap" to just "internet". That, and a reboot, worked for me.

[ This Message was edited by: jtrascap on 2004-03-10 10:24 ]
ghettokidd_3187
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-10 17:28
I do have the $19.99 plan. But still. Oh--this-is-so-FRUSTRATING.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi