Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > T39 Battery Life

Author T39 Battery Life
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-20 01:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Orange still claim to not be aware of the problem. They are being particularly obtuse with me too - refusing to send me a new replacement. I am not amused! I have a relative that works with someone in the BBC Watchdog research team -- I may have to let them know about this fiasco

Alternatively, I shall cancel my contract with Orange through my insurance. Either way, said network should buck its ideas up or I will do my utmost to drag its name through the mud!!

Yours very irritated,

--Matt
gblades
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-21 22:48
I suggest you try again as some people are aware of the problem.
Try giving them detailed facts of the problem:-

Phones manufactured between weeks 8 and 13 of this year have the fault that they do not exceed 75 hours standby. Swapping batteries between affected/uneffected phones shows it is a problem with the phone itself.

The latest batch of phones Orange have from Ericsson (dated manufacturered week 13 onwards) come with the updated R4A007 firmware and standby fix already applied.
MAKTIGER
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-05-22 02:58
Hello,

I am just reposting a message I posted in another thread for general info.

"...Just to let you know that I received my T39m back from CELESTICA (Ericsson's Advanced Service Centre in the UK). Just a reminder, my T39m was connected to ORANGE (UK) and was "02W08" version phone with R3xxx software on it. I had suffered the same battery standby/talk-time problems as Chemo and others.

SonyEricsson and my phone supplier told me to send my phone to CELESTICA for a software/firmware upgrade. Although the turn-a-round time was 10 working days, CELESTICA sent my phone back via courier which I receive yesterday morning.

NOW, is my phone fixed? YES, YES, YES!

I sent my phone off after only 4 days after purchase. The battery standby and talk-time was "74hrs" and "4" respectively after full charges. Now after a full charge, my phone reports "275 hrs" standby and "7hrs" talktime. The new software version on my phone reads as "R4A008"

If anyone else has similar "battery" problems I would recommend that they contact SONYERICSSON Customer Services immediately, get a reference number, then provided they give you authorisation, send your phone to one of their advanced service centres e.g. CELESTICA (UK) with a full explanation letter enclosed.

Anyway, my brother has the same problem so his phone is already on its way for a software/firmware upgrade.

Now that the battery is sorted, I can start experimenting with the phone's other features.

Regards,

MAKTIGER"
Chemo
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-23 13:03
Glad that MAKTIGER and everyone else are finally getting their T39s sorted out...it's still ridiculous how neither Orange or SE were aware of the problem. I'm just happy to have a fully working T39, the battery was fully charged last Friday, and has about 1/4 power left with moderate usage! Not bloody bad!
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-23 19:04
I spoke to someone at Orange yesterday, detailed the problem in full and laid my cards on the table. Half an hour later, and they agreed to send me a new phone... BUT I can't take delivery for a fortnight (I am out the country camping -- methinks m'battery won't last long!) ...and since they have no way of testing handsets before dispatch (??) nor any control over which batch they are from (!!), they can offer no guarantee that the replacement will be better.

Fingers crossed!!

--Matt
Chemo
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-24 12:33
Yeah Orange have been pretty useless about this. AFAIK though, all their T39s should be sorted out now, so if you get a replacement it should be fine. Me and a mate of mine got replacements last week and they're fine.

sgreenbank
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-24 14:57
Matt

Orange promised me that I would get a phone with the correct standby times within about 2 weeks as they had a load on order. They had also sent some they already had in stock to SE to be fixed. I don't see why they can't promise you one with the bug fixed.

Mine arrived last week and the standby was 256h.

The advice about full charging/full discharging the battery 3 times to attain full charge does not seem to apply to the Lithium Polymer battery as I have now had 4 phones, 4 chargers and 4 batteries. The first,second and third charge for all these have resulted in similar standby times (consistently 75h for the first three phones and approx 256 for the 4th phone) for each charge.

Steve
MagicBoy
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2002-05-31 00:44
I've got a T39m with software R3B006 , build 02W07 which is exibiting the common symptoms of a 76hr standby life. I have had the phone replaced 3 times and the battery 4 times by the retailer - The (B)Link. I suspect that the phones were all from the same batch.....

I've spoken to Ericsson support and One2One but no-one will admit any problem. All I'm getting is "speak to your retailer" (who supplies your equipment........)

Any suggestions????
mick james
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-06-06 20:03
I rang Orange on 150 this morning and reported the battery life problem on my T39.
Once I said I’d tried another battery and had the same problem they immediately offered to courier a new phone to me the same day.

I’ve just taken delivery—standby on the slimline battery that came with the phone jumped from 69 to 219 hours. Talk time is 8 hrs 15 mins.

The slightly larger spare battery I bought--because I was getting such poor charge time—fluctuates between 275-315 hours fully charged and about 12 hours talktime.

Seems like Orange have got their act together on this one but thanks to everyone on this forum without which I’d never have realised I could do anything about this problem.

BTW phone is dated 02w13

[ This Message was edited by: mick james on 2002-06-06 19:06 ]
Allione
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-06-11 10:48
Hey-hey!

Today I have finally got my mitts on new T39 that isn't afflicted with the battery life problem! Finally, a result!! As the original newbie to this forum that posed the question initially, I would like to thank you all for sharing your experiences and ideas with both myself, and the good people of this forum. Without your insights I would not have pursued this issue relentlessly, and would have remained angry at my T39 for being 'sub-standard'.

Cheers,

--Matt
dust
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-08-02 12:53
Hi all,

Maybe it was said elsewhere... I just thought this information might be useful for some. I just had my T39m with a 70h bug fixed at an Ericsson SP this morning. As you knowm it's a patch that can be easily flashed, without need to send the phone back.

The problem is that the bugfix seems to be hidden extremely well. At least the SP here in Seitzweland could hardly find it. He told me they know about the problem, but had to send back the phones until now. Well, now he knows how to deal with it himself The bugfix seems to be hidden within a lengthy scrollbar that appears just after the phone is hooked on and the software is started... this scrollbar is usually used to select the language setting for the phone. It had some funny entries like "T39 Chile (...)" at the top. Among others, there's an entry "T39 Standby Fix" (nothing like "70h" is mentioned there, I checked the entry out myself). So, if you need a fix and go to a SP, be prepared to tell them where to look for it

Good luck, Andy
nikosxeng
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-12 20:27
9 days with 80 mins talk..
in 1800 network..
with 1400 mAh battery..

[ This Message was edited by: nikosxeng on 2006-04-12 19:28 ]
Matteus
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-12 21:20
I tried several t39's and times vary much. Now a pirate battery of 1000mA has 14 days standby.

This message was posted from a Z1010

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi