Esato

Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > Comments for Globe, Smart, Sun operators (PH)

Previous  123 45 ... 101112  Next
Author Comments for Globe, Smart, Sun operators (PH)
xxkennethxx
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-01-19 12:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2004-01-18 01:19:07, dragon7 wrote:
Hve 2 warn u on gprs usage u cn get billed +5k if u use it in combo w a PDA.

But what if i use GPRS only to surf with my P900? i mean without a PDA... will it be also very expensive for me? Im a normal WAP user... What is normal anyway? hehehe
Same Shit Different Day!
dragon7
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-01-20 16:31
wap normally is txt based so not much pic dwnloads much cheaper using p900 dan a pda to surf, question is will ur provider allow u access to other sites besides their own wap sites? main gripe is im willing to pay but smart/addict wont allow certain sites na rin
ynohtna
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-01-26 13:42
i think smart addict has blocked esato already(no gateway access). ive tried wap.esato.com or mobile.esato.com via gprs yet to no avail. but other sites like nokia.com no problem. it is only with esato. but comparing such minor gripe over globe's limitation at present and 20 months to go, still i would choose smart addict. much wider reach. much wider coverage. sa room ko, full bar smart and globe 1-2 bars and napuputol yung gprs signal. the only consolation with globe is it is free surfing on its wap page and yahoo only(mail and instant messenger). i am sure two years from now, both networks would be using 3g already....a z1010 for everyone!!!!!Yun nga lang, pagandahan ng service at matira matibay!!!!
have you ever wondered? globe is still at 8M subscribers yet smart is already at 13M. Globe was at 8M a couple of years ago.
also i was surprised and amused na pinatulan ng globe yung pasa load 10 ng smart by introducing yung php5.00. akala ko tapos na dun yung laban. pero matindi pala yung sa smart kase may pasa load 2.00 na lang. baka within the year may pasa load na piso na lang!!!! and as from Smart's CS, they have still lots of surprises for us this 2004. aside from Edge, ano pa kaya?????mmmmm.... digital tv viewing (for nokia 7700)....your guess is as good as mine!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: ynohtna on 2004-01-26 12:44 ]
adv99576
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-27 20:28
actually, both smart and globe are already on 3G. Both have already installed EDGE on their networks.

and about the signal, same observation as mine...
Want to know more about your cellular choices? (for Filipinos only) Go to this site: www.philippine-utilities.com.ph
adv99576
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-31 19:26
BE WARNED!!!

for those globe users who continue surfing using GPRS, thinking that it's still FREE, well, it's NOT ANYMORE.

Globe already charges P0.25/kb when you surf outside the myGlobe wapsite...

check out www.philippine-utilities.com.ph for more info
click on the RATES link to see comparative info
Want to know more about your cellular choices? (for Filipinos only) Go to this site: www.philippine-utilities.com.ph
randyrivera
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2004-02-02 21:50
they have two apn's, one is free which is www.globe.com.ph, versus the paid apn, internet.globe.com.ph
ex_crusader
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-03 14:50
ang akala ko hindi 3G ang EDGE. enhancement lang
adv99576
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-03 23:50
actually, EDGE is qualified to be called 3G when the user is on pedestrian mode (walking at a certain speed), cos in that mode, it can achieve at least the minimum data rate required of any standard for it to be called 3G.

but still, WCDMA and CDMA2000 are much more faster at pedestrian mode, even at vehicular mode (when the user is on a fast-moving vehicle at a certain speed).

if i said anything before that contradicts this, i correct myself. =)
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-04 02:11
EDGE is not considered as being 3G tho, but merely an enhancement or upgrade of a GPRS network. if GPRS is 2.5G, then EDGE would be 2.7G or something like that.

the attainment of 3G speeds is largely theoretical although the improvement over GPRS is supposed to be noticeable. it is supposedly enough to do some video streaming, but not at the same rate as 3G. i don't know if you can do good quality video calls on EDGE.

real 3G would be CDMA2000 or UMTS, although because of the extremely high infrastructure costs, i.e. a whole new system, we will almost surely never see real 3G in the philippines, or at least not for a very long time. just a question of economics. not enough data users generating sufficient data revenues to justify the cost of a completely new network.
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-04 02:21
EDGE is not 3G. It's a recognized enhancement for 2G systems (along with the more popular GPRS) converting them into a 2.5G network.

Hmm ... 2.7G? that's new to me
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-04 02:57
Quote:

Hmm ... 2.7G? that's new to me

yup it's a term i heard someone use to better explain EDGE. found it quite funny too!
abaya
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-05 00:33
You guys need to read this:
EDGE (Enhanced Date Rates for Global Evolution) is a 3G technology:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,32892,00.html
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-02-05 02:29
EDGE (Enhanced Date Rates for Global Evolution) is a GPRS upgrade, not real 3G. to hear it from the horse's mouth, this is what globe had to say earlier this week:

Telecom firms urged to
focus on basic services
Posted: 9:50 PM (Manila Time) | Feb. 03, 2004
By Abigail L. Ho
Inquirer News Service

IT WOULD be better to focus company resources on expanding basic telecommunications services than on rolling out more high-technology services like the third-generation (3G) wireless platform, a top telecom executive said.

Globe president and chief executive Gerardo Ablaza Jr. said the local wireless industry still has not fully explored all possible applications for its existing platforms.

The Ayala-led firm is currently offering general packet radio service (GPRS) applications, enhanced versions of the global system for mobile communications (GSM) platform that is dominant in the country.

Instead of just the basic voice calls and the popular text messaging, GPRS applications give users access to a wider range of services, including Internet connectivity and multimedia applications downloads.

While GPRS offerings have started to catch the fancy of many of the country's more than 22 million cellular subscribers, all of the platform's uses have yet to be explored.

Ablaza said this meant that now might not yet be the right time to start offering new services using a different wireless technology like 3G.

"I personally prefer 3G to come later than sooner. With the scarce resources we have, it is better to just have basic networks for the more basic communications needs of the Filipinos," he said.

He explained that Globe and its rival carriers have yet to fully address the communications needs of 100 percent of the country's population.

Services like basic telephony should still be a priority among carriers right now, although the introduction of new offerings would continue, he added.

Globe vice president for new products development Nicanor Santiago III earlier said that the European experience with 3G had a certain "sobering effect" on local operators, making them think whether or not it would be viable to get into the 3G market soon.

The availability of relevant services as well as viable billing schemes needed to be taken into consideration, he said.

"We're still into understanding the technology," he added.
abaya
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-02-05 05:51
Foer those who still not believe the artcile from nokia, here is adtional infor from SOny Ericsson:

EDGE

Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution

Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE) and UMTS are complementing 3G technologies that together will sustain the operator's need for nation-wide 3G network capacity to meet the traffic growth.

Both technologies will support the same type of applications, which will greatly reduce development and integration work and give transparency to the end-user.

Supported by the EDGE technique, existing GSM/GPRS networks can be upgraded to accommodate third generation mobile telephony services with data transmission speed at up to 384 kbit/s, giving three times improved frequency spectrum efficiency for data.
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-05 07:00
EDGE trivia: originally, Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution, but according to 3GPP specifications 3GPP '99 10.59 "Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution" is the correct term for EDGE. Specification also uses the term "Enhanced Data rate for GSM Evolution". Other incorrect terms include "Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution" (older version) and "Enhanced Data GSM Environment"

EDGE only offers enhancements to 3G-like data rates. It cannot be 3G as 3G is implemented using W-CDMA (now known as "3GSM") or CDMA2000, not GSM.

[ This Message was edited by: GOwin on 2004-02-05 06:19 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 101112  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic