Previous  12
Author a WARNING for Live! owners
jamesward
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 18:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Is it me or is there an echo here??

And about the IMEI change, I don't suppose i could get Vodafone on it and make it legit?
onionz
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 20:05
Full text of the relevant act:

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2002/20020031.htm

Only the manufacturer or someone acting with the written consent of the manufacturer can change an IMEI number in the UK.

Anyway, forget that idea. All you need to do is get your phone flashed using sonyericssonserver's logger to the latest R1L. Go back to mobileexchange by all means - they should be able to do it, after all they will be using the sonyericssonserver method themselves!!
superthomo
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 20:19
Glad i got an unbranded vodafone t610 It was the last in the shop in Winchester and i wanted to go on vodafone, i think it was actually an o2 phone with no branding what so ever, it had official sony erricson everything, nice white and green booklets software etc. I have no branding of any sort, the company just slapped in a vodafone sim card Why is this such a big deal to everyone anyway? Whats so bad about this vodafone branding stuff?
p.s. i also got a radio handsfree which has a lovely little sony erricson logo on it and free months free insurance at £7.99 and half price line rental for first 3 months! All for free!!! GOOOD DEAL!
phones4u
jamesward
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2003-08-01 21:54
But it was from phones4U, aren't they notoriously bad?
Anyway, I got mine on a free upgrade but as soon as my new contract is over I am switching because Vodafone coverage where I am and where I go is terrible.

I think Vodafone have lost rather a lot of custom from this T610 business, i know 2 people who would have chosen voda, but didn't.

Having said that, the T610 is a fantastic phone, all my friends are jealous, except one who has it on O2, damn him... Damn him to hell

Always wondered how these BB code things worked...
senergy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-08-05 05:28
when i suggested changing the imei i meant just doing it to bypass EMMA's restricitions, ofcourse i would change it back to the original after the non voda firmware was flashed onto it.
as for hte legality's of it, its like changing the number plate on your car with a black texta.. the imei is not yors to change, also like the MAC address on your ethernet card. That said i am for making imei numbers ilegal to change. When all the telco's get around to blacklisting stolen phones the trade in them will drop dramaticlly.

some one in the know please advise me how EMMA knows you have a vodafone, it doesnt seem to be imei, or serial, is it because of the customized software already loaded on it? doesnt seem to be.... i dont even know where a SE service center is in sydney so i cant go hassle them myself.

and if anyone else lives in sydney do you know where i can get my branded t610 unbranded.

maxwell_hung
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-09-23 11:13
I bought a voda branded phone from phones4u a couple of weeks ago. I took it into our local SE service centre for the software to be upgraded in the hope the vodafone live crap would be gone. No joy, although it done come back with R1L which is much better than what it had on before.

The vodafone live crap is on a language pack as either EU7 or EU6, I took it back to the SE shop and asked them to flash it to EU2, which would have removed the voda crap. He said there software wouldn't allow him to overwrite EU7 with any other language pack.

Hearning this and getting pi$$ed off with vodafone by the minute I decided do it myself. I orrowed a t28 data cable from a friend and bought 3 credits for the sonyerricssonserver software. One to unlock it, one to flash to EU2 (which removes the vodafone live menus and desktop icons) and one to flash gdfs (to remove all the vodafone wap links for mysounds etc.. and all the voda images). This cost me £25 for 3 credits from cellular-support.com.
So I now have a lovely original SE looking T610.

The only problem I can perceive from this is that, although I have flashed the AVR to EU2, the ARM is still flashed as EU7, so if I took it in to have any more flashing done by SE, it would put it all back to EU7 (ie the vode crap). So I think the next task is to flash the ARM to EU2 as well, except the t28 cable won't do this.

I hope this is of help to someone.
N.M.E.
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 04:11
I took my VL! branded phone back and had them change it..It's rubbish. I couldn't stand the lack of colour in the menus...

I guess changing an IMEI on a phone would be similar to changing the VIN or Engine# on a car...Obviously on less of a scale :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that the VL! stuff was actually stored on ROM in the phone somewhere? Wouldn't that make it unchangable?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
maxwell_hung
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-09-24 08:33
Where did you buy the phone from N.M.E? I rang the shop back (phones4u) after I received mine and they told me that's how they received them from vodafone and they couln't do anything about it. Maybe I should have taken it back in on foot.

No the voda stuff is stored on flash but the SE service centers can't remove it if it's already on. I was told that vodafone had told them not to do it, but this isn't the case. The software they use won't allow them to do it.
N.M.E.
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-09-26 07:32
Mobilecom in Adelaide. They are a multi-network vendor so they had some non-branded ones. They charged me an extra $100 for it, but it was well worth it in my opinion.

It was hard to get them to do it, but I just played the angry customer and they did it.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi