Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > once and for all, propoer charging habits, how?

Previous  123  Next
Author once and for all, propoer charging habits, how?
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-07-23 09:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well, actually the first charge did take about 4 hours before the indicator stopped blinking, normal time would have been closer to 2 hours. The charging circuts are completely cut off, since overcharing a Li-Po battery can severely damage it. Additionally it doesn's say anywhere in the manual that the first time you charge you should charge for longer then 4 hours
If I had all the answers, I wouldn't have any questions.
Answers to the most common questions on Esato forums
LamerDeluxe(tm)
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-07-23 11:35
You need to calibrate the battery in the beginning. To maximize batterylife.

That means charging for twelve hours because the phone doesn't know exactly when to stop charging yet. When it stops charging it will trickle charge. So after twelve hours you'll be sure the battery really is full.

Then the first two-three times let the phone run down completely until it shuts off by itself. Don't worry, this won't hurt the battery, the phone will shut off before the battery is completely discharged.

This trains the battery and tells the phone's battery meter how much power the battery actually has.

You'll notice an increase in battery life during this process. After that, charge the phone when it's at something like 30-50%, it won't hurt it if it runs down completely once in a while.

EDIT:
It's better for your battery to immediately recharge it when it's run down completely.

Short and little my span of attention is.

[ This Message was edited by: LamerDeluxe(tm) on 2003-07-23 10:36 ]
wrath000
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-07-23 11:59
LamerDeluxe:
What exactly are you talking about when you say "calibrate the battery". Do you mean calibrate the battery meter? It's an electronic device, not a tick counter. The remaining power is not calculated from power used, but from power remaining.

you say:
--
That means charging for twelve hours because the phone doesn't know exactly when to stop charging yet. When it stops charging it will trickle charge. So after twelve hours you'll be sure the battery really is full.
--
Where did you get the 12 hours from? That number is from 5 years ago used Ni batteries.

The phone does know when the battery is full. It has to. That's one big MUST HAVE with Li-Po batteries, you have to know when it's full.

[ This Message was edited by: wrath000 on 2003-07-23 11:01 ]
Carlsb3rg
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-07-23 12:08
Quote:

On 2003-07-23 11:35:49, LamerDeluxe(tm) wrote:

This trains the battery and tells the phone's battery meter how much power the battery actually has.

You'll notice an increase in battery life during this process. After that, charge the phone when it's at something like 30-50%, it won't hurt it if it runs down completely once in a while.

[ This Message was edited by: LamerDeluxe(tm) on 2003-07-23 10:36 ]

i didnt know my T610 battery has AI.
Blade Runner
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-07-23 15:17
Quote:

On 2003-07-23 11:35:49, LamerDeluxe(tm) wrote:
...charging for twelve hours because the phone doesn't know exactly when to stop charging yet...

I've always laugh when some wize seller seriously trying to convinced me that I have to charge a battery 3 x 12 hours, this is so sad, 21st century and they are still living in the past, so sad ... just plug it and unplug it wherever and whenever you want, it will last for years and after that you will sell your outdated model and buy a new one with fresh battery.

Stay cool, live life at full.
janahan
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-07-23 15:44
just to finally lay this to rest..

- Li Ion batteries do NOT need to be run down.
- charge until the indicator stops moving (the only exception to this rule is Sony video cameras with Infolithium)
- it takes three or so charge cyles to reach peak capacity.
- VERY bad to completely run down battery, but there is protection against that.
- number of charging cylces on Li Ion is a bit "misleading" since it means FULL recharge cylces, therfore a battery which has 500 FULL cycles can do 1000 half cycles, and over 2000 top-ups.

best rule.. just top up your battery evey day. it wont harm it.

I haev an old R320s whcih is nearly 3 years old. the battery is still as crisp. Same with my T68, which is one and a half years old. on its original battery, nowhere near in need of replacing just yet.
Owned (order of purchase): Nok 8110, Nok 6150, Nok 8210, Nok 6210, Eric r320s, Eric T68m, SE T300, SE P800, SE T610, SE S700i, Mot V3i, SE K800i
eztoril
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-08-13 10:59
The site below explains how to charge new phone batteries (as to their knowledge):

www.rechargeable-phone-batteries.com/about_rechargeables.htm

Especially, read the paragraph "Charging new batteries".
Zacay
K500
PM
Posted: 2003-08-13 12:29
eztoril and everyone else, read all chapters!!
http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap1-page1.asp
Heres a interesting book,

The table clarly states these batteries has low tolerence for overcharging.
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page2.asp

About li-ion
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page6.asp

About li-ion polym.. yes there is a little little difference
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page8.asp

And for the one that said, "i didn't know my battery is AI"
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap7-page1.asp

And good information on how prolonging the life of our precious batteries:
http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp
Read especially the Simple Guidelines!

interesting read!!
biach
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-09-14 14:57
how come when i initially charged my phone after an hour no battery sign still showed up???i know i placed the sim card and battery correctly..whts wrong???
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-09-14 16:38
Its normal.In the manual it's stated that it might take three hours before the battery sign shows up. At the first charge of course.

This message was posted from a T610

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-09-14 16:42
701, where did you get that from? The manual for all recent SE phones including T68, T68i and T610 says it may take 30 minutes before the battery charging sign shows.
lucpool
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-11-21 00:47
I have a e-mail from SE, about some battery questions I had for the 610.
The people from the technical office say : we recommend to our customers,charging at least 10 times for 12 houres !! Always to that when battery is totally empty !
I asked why it is not in the manual,they will announce it in the new manual prints they said !
For people who would like to see the original mail, i can send it to you
greetings
luc
antwerp
belgium
Thanks for help and answers !
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-11-24 12:17
@masseur: u r right, i mistyped.30 mins is the time..never happened to me, though.

it`s a sticky,damn it!
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=5503&forum=15

[ This Message was edited by: 701 on 2003-11-24 12:11 ]
Quico
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 01:00
Hi everyone!!!
This is what is hapenning to me:
I just got my t610 on saturday,and I was thrilled!!!!I couldn't wait to get home to charge it and start using it.I got home,put my SIM on it, and turned it on just to check everything was OK.I then turned it off to charge it.Yes, in my knowledge,I think I have to charge the battery for about 12 hrs on the first time.I did that!But, the 12 hrs passed, and stil blinking icon on screen,on the last "level" of the chraging icon!!I let more 4 hrs pass by,and still blinking icon on the last "level". I thought,"Hey,it must be because it's the first charge,and the battery doesn't accept full charge... maybe normal...", and plug it off the charger. Then yesterday,I ran out of battery.Put it on charge through the night,and when I woke up, the same thing was going on!!Blinking on the last "level" of charging progress. This time,it was plugged in for about 7hrs.Today I sent an email to SE,asking what the hell is going on!!!Waiting for the answer...
Could it be because I turned the phone on for just a minute before I turned it off again to charge it?!

I also noticed one more thing:
In that first 16 hrs charge, when I plug the charger off, the battery indicator was yellow!But it seems all "leves" are coloured, but instead of green, I have yellow icon. When does the icon turns yellow??How many blank "levels" are there when it turns yellow??? I never saw my battery indicator green!!

I'm a little concern about the quality of after-sales service,because I live in Portugal... Let's wait to see the answer to my email.
Did anyone experienced this?!?!I'm so pissed off!!!!!Just spent €250 and I'm wondering how do this kind of weird problems happen on such a popular phone, more than tested!!!!!!I had a 3310 for 3 years and never had a single problem!!!

Thx in advance.... Best regards

[ This Message was edited by: Quico on 2004-02-12 00:12 ]
Drago
T630
PM
Posted: 2004-04-03 15:36
Iam still confused. Got my T630 (black) today. The store told everyone, regardles of brand or model to charge 15h at leasty first time. What to do?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi