Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > About Weblicon SyncML server

Author About Weblicon SyncML server
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-17 17:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi guys!

Sorry about the delay, I'll try to hit on everyone's questions/comments, but if I miss something, just remind me again.

Just to make an official statement.. which url you use (short or long) makes NO difference. If you are experiencing problems, it is either because of the connection through your SP or errors in the server. I wasn't so sure of this before.. but I am now.. so don't worry about switching back to that old, nasty, super long thing.

@GOWin, Thanks!! I hate to say this (because it looks like I'm just passing the blame), but I've looked at your last few attempts and I can't find anything wrong with them, everything is going well and then all communication stops.

@david_brandt, wow.. tough issue. From what I can tell, this is partly a weakness in the SyncML protocol and partly mismatched implementations between phone and server. SyncML provides a way of telling the other device what 'type' of numbers it supports, but there is no way to tell the other device 'how many' of them it supports. This is something that future standards might help resolve, and we developers will continue working on optimal solutions, but unfortunately there is no real 'bug' that I can go in and quickly fix.

@QyeTyme, first of all, thanks for the compliments!! that really means a lot to me and the rest of the team over here. The issue that you were having with your Calendar not being updated was actually a major bug with the server that I did not find until syncfest. and, as you have found, it has since been fixed.

@.V., jeez.. weird log.. well the reason you had to terminate manually was because the server and client were caught in an infinite loop, both asking for the others next message. This is a bug in the phone.. not telling the server it is done sending its data when it really is (I assume you have exactly 15 contacts in your db). But this is strange because I have never seen a T68 act like this. I wonder if the SyncML implementation is different between the T68 and the T68i?? Anyways.. you might want to try changing your db slightly (adding or deleting a contact) and then trying again.. and if it happens again I will take another look.

@arnoldc, again another strange log file.. your log shows problems in the same area as .V.'s, but under different circumstances. I just tried to simulate what you guys were doing with my T68 but it worked fine. Just out of curiosity.. which phone are you using? because unless I am missing something this also seems to be a bug in the client implementation.

ok.. that's enough for now.. don't want to wear out everyone's eyes

Jeff
.V.
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-04-17 17:29
My probleme is the same é each syncronisation. I got 400 contact in my T68i. Still freezing a 15 exactly and no contact on your web data base. I am a Sonyericsson Mechanical Center and I flashed My phone with R2b soft but stille the same.

I got a T68m and I was never able to syncro it...

Weird

ps : tried with another T68i and same things....

Ericsson Mechanical center / Service point
QyeTyme
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-18 18:01
jnichols,

You are right, the Calendar now works like a charm. I have found another possible problem that I thought I should let you know about. I say possible becuase it may be my usage model. What I do is sync with outlook on my PC using the weblicon sync client, and I also sync with my t68. If I edit a contact in outlook, like adding a phone number or email address, then sync, it will create duplicate entries in the weblicon server, and if I sync to the phone, it will create them there. If I delete the entries anywhere and resync, they will not be deleted on the phone, and therefore I have to manually delete them from the phone.

-eric
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 14:50
.V.,
I took another look at your logs and the same thing is definitely happening every time. From my perspective it looks like the phone is simply not handling a certain situation in the correct way. Have you ever used a normal t68 (I'm not exactly sure what a t68m is..), or has anyone else gotten a t68i to work correctly with weblicon or anyone else??

QyeTyme,
That's definitely a problem I should know about.. but it would be easier for me to trace it down if we switched over to email, so I could get a more detailed description of what sequence of actions you took (and when)..

Jeff
.V.
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-04-22 18:15
jnichols

No way to conect with a t68m

got this probleme with all the t68i I try to sync.

is some body able to make a correct sync with a t68i ?
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-23 04:14
@jnichols/jeff
well, i'd like to give my SP a feedback about the problem. Can tell me what i should tell them regarding the issue where communication stops between the phone and the server?
tomv
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-23 15:04
He People,

quite inpressive this weblicon tool i used it and it works like a charm (accept for deleting everything from the contact that took ages) What i wanted to know now is : is there a linux alternative that i can use myself on my own linux machine which works with php and mysql. This way i would be abel to sync my outlook faster and experiment myself with this SyncML, which i think is pretty cool

Tom
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-23 15:52
GOWin.. unfortunately most people here probably know more about wap connections and gateways than I do, and I'm also rather ignorant on how the phones handle these connections. What I can tell you is that a series of messages are being passed back and forth between the phone and the server. Every request-response cycle works in the same way. It appears to me that these cycles will be running smoothly, and then the phone will try to send another message to the server (or maybe just connect to it), but this message will never reach the server. This would suggest to me that the phone it keeping a connection to the server through some gateway, and some times this connection is broken and the phone does not know how to re-establish it within the same session. Like I said.. this is just my hypothesis, but it seems reasonable to me. Hopefully your SP (or maybe ever Ericsson??) will be able to clear some this stuff up.

tomv.. thanks! if you are referring to a linux version of our stuff for personal use, this is something that we are currently putting together (might not be ready for a while). It doesn't use php or mysql.. but everything it needs comes in the 'one-button-installer'. The downside is that I think it's going to be quite expensive (???) since this isn't really our main market. But anyways, you can check it out what we will be offering in the future at calmeno.de

[ This Message was edited by: jnichols on 2002-04-23 16:14 ]
tomv
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-23 17:17
tobad but i was expecting that, as i was looking for syncML i found an italian php site that is working on a groupware project which also will support syncML. This will mostlikely be free.

greets
QyeTyme
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-04-25 07:21
jnichols,

I think I may have found another bug. If you create a recurring appointment in outlook and sync it, it only populates the appointment on the first date it was scheduled.

-eric
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-04-25 14:57
It's not a bug.. it's a feature

Actually, that occurs because our application simply does not support recurring events at this time. This does have a fairly high priority, but as it is a difficult feature to implement, I can not say when it might be ready.

For some good news.. an upcoming release should resolve special character issues with Ericsson phones and should also fix the 'lost work number' problem. I'll let you know when it's ready..
salle76
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-01 15:35
I have an account on weblicon but the synchronization says it gets interrupted every time, still I have gotten quite a few of my contacts from my t68i on to the webpage. Does anyone know what could be causing the interrupts?

Also, weblicon doesn't seem to support swedish characters, like åäö (for instance ö will be ö in my contacts...). Will this be supported in the future?

Thanks,
Henrik
gobrutz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-06 18:05
Been doing sync these days with the short url & noticed sync process works more smoothly than before (sure glad Jeff can forego their penchant for movies, i.e. kubrick, titanic, matrix, etc.)

On the wap apps, the url is still too long for the T68 to bookmark after logging in. The url has been changed and had to be encoded manually if you want to log in without inputting the username & password everytime. The sms & email functions are having glitches from time to time. For sms, 2 trials went thru out of 5 (was able to send to Ph-Globe, Cn-CMCC but not to any Hk telecoms.) 1 email went thru out of 3.
I certainly hope Jeff can relay these to the wap apps team.
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-05-06 20:12
Managed to get the new server up on Fri. Took care of some issues that have been nagging me for a while. Most importantly got all character encoding issues taken care of, so all you non-americans with crazy characters in your words can be happy . Also I've changed the weblicon 'phone' number to map with other device's 'work' number, so the issues of losing your 'work' number through syncing should be fixed. Also worked with the wap guy and java client guy to make both of those applications 'sync-enabled' (but honestly I haven't really tested this so maybe someone that uses one of these clients could give some feedback).

As gobrutz kindly pointed out, things do seem to be stabilizing somewhat. The one issue that is definitely still open is the problem that .V. originally brought up. I still believe this may be the fault of the phone, but I've noticed that it is happening to others (i'm guessing anyone with a t68i), so I'm going to try to find a work around.
floke
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-05-07 11:51
Hi, I tried to sync the Calender on my T68i with weblicon webcalender using GPRS and it really worked nice. I'm impressed!
However, then I tried with the Phone Book. When I start the sync it comes to the point where the phone display says "Synchronizing Sent Entries" (auf deutsch "Synchronisierung läuft Gesendete Einträge"). Then it sends Entries for about a minute until entry 45 and then the phone resets!
Is this a problem with the phone? Known?
Or do I have an entry in my phonebook that is faulty?
/floke
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic