Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > About Weblicon SyncML server

Author About Weblicon SyncML server
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 11:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
GOwin, I checked your logs and found nothing wrong, except for the fact that the sessions were not finished.

This seems to be a recurring theme. I honestly don't know what is happening because everything looks fine from the server side. I have a feeling that it is (like mentioned) a connection or time out problem, but if these problems are happening on the phone or in the gateway then I don't really know how to fix them.

One side note.. I think a lot of these problems are stemming from the fact that you guys have HUGE amounts of data. While this of course theoretically makes no difference, it does add to the processing time which increases the chances of connection problems or time outs. So if you just want to see something work completely, success will be much more likely with 20 or so contacts, etc.

Also, everyone please be careful to not make any syntactical mistakes when entering the settings. Someone keeps hitting the server with WlcSyncMlHandlingDA instead of WlcSyncMLHandlingDA and this just can't work. Hopefully very soon I will have a much easier URL.

I want to thank everyone for giving me mountains of log files to look through. While things may not be perfect now, you're helping to vastly improve the product.

Jeff

ps.
I asked and the java pim mail client is a work in progress and is not expected to be fully functional. Sorry about that.
Epedemic
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 12:05
i get syncronization interrupted too :/
jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 12:19
Epedemic, what phone are you using?? I don't seem to be recognizing it.
Epedemic
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 12:44
A t68 with r2b

This post was posted from a T68

GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-15 13:26
@jeff, you know i found it a bit funny that you were telling us that we got HUGE amounts of data. I dont suppose you were expecting a \"realistic\" list of 20 contacts? ;-)

This post was posted from a T39

jnichols
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 14:33
yeah, yeah.. I know..
point taken.

no, I definitely realize that you guys are using realistic sizes of data. But as backwards as it sounds, I'm really going for SyncML compliance right now, and for this dealing with realistic data sets is not really an issue. Because, as I said, theoretically the size of the data set makes no difference within the protocol. However, in a real world setting (ie. you guys) it potentially can make a difference. Especially since we're dealing with things like wap gateways and third party phones that I have no control over.

So the best I can say is bear with me while I try to iron out some of these issues. What are your experiences with other servers?
Do you find similar problems or am I the only one. This kind of info could really help me.

@GOwin: I just took a look at your last sync attempt at 12:40 GMT. The server was happily waiting for the 'next' message from the client which never came. This had nothing to do with the size of the data set, and it's very hard for me to find out what happened when the phone gives its usual 'Synchronization Interrupted' spiel. So remember that there's at _least_ three factors involved.. phone, gateway, server

@blumx: Glad things worked out. There are some pretty big discrepancies within the SyncML community on how to properly handle 'special' characters. Basically everyone is doing it there own way.. sometimes they're compatible and sometimes they're not. For example, I have no problems with non-ascii characters sent from the Nokia 9210, but it is a known issue that these don't work with the T-68 for me. Hopefully this is something that will be resolved very soon.
Dimension
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-03-15 15:43
How come I always get a "Synchronization failed" message?
gomichaelkgo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-03-16 01:44
Jeff,

I have some suggestions for the HTML client and a comment about the sync process. I had also set up a SyncML account with truesync.com.

In comparing the process, i notice that it always takes the SAME long time (about 8-10 minutes with CSD) to sync even if I have only changed one contact. With truesync, it would initially take a long time to sync, but then subsequent sync sessions only lasted about 20 seconds or so.

Also, the truesync.com html client had a nifty "delete all contacts" or "delete all calendar events" function, which was good in ensuring that contacts/events were not duplicated. It looked like I would have had to delete all 200 or so of my contacts one by one on the weblicon html client.

Too, it would be nice to be able to include/ un-include the columns in the contact listing or be able to reorder the columns. Our phones don't store addresses, so it would be more informative to show the phone numbers in the contact listing columns.

Thanks, I think you've done some great work!
-Michael
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-16 06:39
Yeah, the HTML interface does need some improvement.

I deleted over 30 contacts (synched with outlook) the other day, and I had to delete them one a time.

Hmm... could the problem be with our networks? I tried increasing the timeout value to 300 (maximum for my R2G T39) but it seems that it didn't do anything good at all.

gobrutz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-16 10:26
Gowin:
I tend to agree that the problem is with the Globe network. A lot had change since we started talking about gprs in this forum. I was failing the sync with weblicon also but I succeeded when I reduced the volume of data in my phonebook and calendar. Then I slowly filled it up by subsequent syncs. And like Gomichaelkgo, I also failed re-sync with Starfish without reducing the data.

Jeff:
Starfish has a complete multipoint utility to sync the celfone (some models of Ericsson, I guess), PC desktop PIM, Third party Web Based PIM (Yahoo) and their html/SyncML server. If Weblicon can come up with something like this plus the present wap browsing capability (not available in other servers), then it will be an attractive package for service providers and users.
lolongan
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-03-16 12:14
The french accents (é, à, ù,...) are not handled properly.
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-16 15:15
@jnichols, i have a perfect first sync!

It took around 5 minutes or so to sync 102 contacts, on my T68 using the Ericsson developer gateway over Smart GPRS. At least weblicon got the numbers right, where truesync did not.

Maybe you should add Philippines now in your list of country codes

@gomichaelkgo, my second sync (with one modified contact) took less than 30 seconds.

@gowin, looks like Globe's GPRS is "choking."

[ This Message was edited by: arnoldc on 2002-03-16 17:09 ]
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-17 09:21
That's great arnoldc!

Globe's Tech Support and Customer Service will get an earful from me later today!

@arnoldc
have you tried using SMART's standard gateway for synching?
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-03-17 10:19
@gowin, oh yes, i have synchornized using Smart's WAP gateway. It is a little bit slower though, i.e., 30 seconds using Ericsson developer gateway and 40 seconds using Smart's gateway.
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-03-18 01:49
Am I missing something here? I understood SynchML to mean synchronisation but I can only get it to upload. I.e. if I change something or delete something on the web/java client it DOESN'T change the phone. Is this correct? If so what exactly is the point?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic