Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2020
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-09-13 15:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The thread is not hard to find

https://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=208852&start=30

If you click your own username, and then view posts, it would have quickly shown you the thread you were looking for.

Please stop posting non rumour information here. It just pollutes the thread.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-13 16:51
I did not know I could find by clicking on my username.
I always click on the 24hours or New buttons.

badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2019-09-13 19:41
So Xperia 10 and Plus we're absolute sales flops so people are saying the Xperia 20 which exists in prototype form may not be released at the end of the year or beginning of next year. The L3 also flopped hard but it could continue for the budget market.

I've heard nothing about Xperia 1 successor, bit worried actually since maybe the Xperia 20 and XZ4 phones were brutally shut down after doing most of the development.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-13 19:58
I think HK team was responsible for X20.
100% sure phone was killed.

Looks like that guy from Alpha ordered them to kill XZ4 and do x1 instead.
Probably XZ4 was going to be just a 18:9 version of XZ2P.

Mr Buks says X5 is Bahamut.
Where are Sphinx and Horus found when people were digging into the software?

Leaks of midranges were in october, I do not expect to be that soon again.
Unless the penta cam+ tof is the " X1 Mark II" ...

This is weird. I read about many brands.
Everyday I see things posted on slashleaks and tech sites.
I have never seen Uaprof of other brands, just Sony.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-09-13 19:05 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-09-13 20:52
i really hope X2 is a worthy successor. X1 was a great first try at something new and away from the current trend, which is great. But there are things to improve and X2 should be that and then some.

I'll be looking to possibly upgrade next year if something catches my eye, so I hope it is from Sony!

Apple has pretty much given up on innovation so it's up to Sony to carry the torch.. otherwise, we're only going to see innovation from chinese manufacturers.

what i'd like to see in X2 over X1...

- robust video editing software ON the device
- added flexibility and features in the cinemapro recording app. i.e., listen to what professionals have said about it and make it even better.
- use their best sensors in the cameras.
- RAW image capability in stock camera app
- headphone jack return (please but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me)
- wireless quick charging (i think sony has not gone this route cause it probably damages the battery more but still.. )
- BIGGER battery please. I don't care if the phone itself is thicker because of it. If it's justified, then i'm ok with it. That'll also give more room for camera stuff.

thats it for now.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-13 22:00
We all know Xperia have used 120Hz since X, of course sites keep ignoring for unknown reason. And other brands take the credits.

They have added some stuff to Cinema Pro.
You now can adjust WB, in case you dont want you dont use any LUT.
Audio output control, more focus controls ...I will post link on X5 discussion...

About your wishlist:

- I dont know if there is editing inside Cinema Pro now. I think Album still have video editor.
- The stacked sensor is considered the most advanced tech now, they just need to make it larger.
- People have been asking for raw since Z2, I highly doubt they will give.
- sadly jack is gone forever
- yes, Qi reduces the number of cycles your battery can give. Also as you increase charging speed same happens. Those phones with 45, 60W will for sure need new battery before 18 months.
- They could have used bigger battery, if ppl did not complain about weight of xz2 series. Also for example X1 screen has size of XZ2P, with oled now they would not give same battery because they think you can have same endurance with less battery.

Looks like they still do not see that costumers feel attracted to bigger battery. No matter if xperia with 3000 can last more than LG with 3300. People will look at numbers and make their choices.

X10 should have 3300, 10+ with 3600, X5 with 3500 and X1 with 4000.
If XA2U with massive 6" 16:9 (which is bigger than 6.5" 21:9) with 3580 mAh has a giant endurance, imagine a Xperia with at least 4000.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-09-13 21:03 ]
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 00:24
Before posting these wish lists consider:
- why is Sony using two Samsung sensors in their flagships?
- Sony make a 48MP sensor so why not use this particularly in the Xperia 5 as it has no RAM stacked sensor?
- 960fps slow motion was on the XZ2 from two years ago so why remove this?
- why have a glass body if you don't have wireless charging, why not go with a full metal body?
- remove the headphone jack to get people to buy a wireless set with your Xperia but if so few people but an Xperia why not put it back in? People will buy the wireless sets for their Samsungs and iPhones anyway.

Particularly with the camera sensors it seems like Xperia aren't allowed to use the top sensors or they can but can't optimise so they just use Samsung ones instead. There's something not right about them, surely using Sony sensors is cheaper than buying from Samsung while sending out your best hardware to your competitors. People from within were surprised and deeply disappointed with the Q1 results so Q2 needs to be strong or more heads will roll it seems and more restrictions applied to Xperia because I expect their budget to be cut further.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 02:06
- Samsung sensors are much cheaper. All iphones have isocell too. I think I posted that someone commented on reddit that isocell was part of the oled deal. I do not know if it is true.

- Months ago they said they see no benefits of using 586. They dont feel it has advantages over native 12MP.

- 960fps can have Two explanations: 1) they want to keep feature for "Premium "only or 2) They no longer care about it

- Same reason they use glass since Z, it is fancy. Phone looks more expensive. Look at XZP and XZ1, which one looks more Premium? Qi does not need glass, it can use plastic (LG G3) or carbon fiber too. For those who dont like to put case on, metal scratches easier than glass.

- according to them, before xz2 they were already selling more wireless than wired.

Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 07:31
Remember the article on sumahoinfo that showed screenshots from X1 users that showed it had around 3600 mah battery? I think it has more capacity than officilay stated. That must be how they are achieving longer lifespan. After Xperia X came with qnovo they offered battery care to a previous generation, I think it was Z5 which charged only to about 80%.

They won't use a bigger (arguably better) sensor on a down spec (compact) version of their flagship. I don't believe it's that they don't think it doesn't have any advantage over regular 12mp. For X1 they had an excuse (DRAM).

Now that Samsung removed the jack I don't think it matters anymore.

I think glass is easier to design and seal against dust and water. They used plastic frames/sides before, all cheap phones now have plastic frame with glass back. Why not use they for x20?

I hope removing 960fps is just a cost decision and newer gens will still come with it. I'm sick of Sony throwing away tech instead of improving it.

X5 cinema pro now has basic editing according to reviewers but it needs more.

Next year they should use the 48mp for the midrange and use that rumored 1/1.7 for flagships.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 11:14
I mean they were asked why X1 did not have the 586.
Then they said no advantages over native 12MP.
Especially the fact these QB sensors dont give extra details if you set 48.

Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 16:56
Sony Xperia 1 doesn’t have the Sony 48-megapixel sensor that powers the cameras of phones like the Honor View 20 and Xiaomi Mi 9. But Marsh said that was a measured decision rather than a conflict of interest. “The Tokyo camera team said “okay, because of what we want to achieve from a quality point of view, three 12-megapixel cameras will provide us with much better quality than one 48-megapixel camera”, he said.

“The 48-megapixel module is, for example, not memory stacked, so you can’t do the 960fps super slow motion that we can do on the 12-megapixel sensor. So that’s one example where they went “okay, you can have this, but actually we then lose this”. The larger pixel size and brighter aperture were also apparently a result of going for that sensor.

From
https://www.trustedreviews.co[....]ng-alpha-style-cameras-3666962

So it wasnt just a detail matter. I didn't find where they say 48mp doesn't give more details. If they can pair it with the same aperture of 1.6 it would at least match X1 with more dr to boot. They should go non qb but big sensor for flagship anyway. The more they get close to rx100 the better.
[ This Message was edited by: Ppl on 2019-09-14 15:57 ]
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 17:52
All tests show that you do not get more details when choosing 48MP mode.
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 18:43
I'm not saying that for 48mp mode. For 12 Mp it would match the X1, given the rest of the processing stays the same. It is a bigger sensor no matter the mp mode. Also Sony themselves claim that in good conditions it captures more detail in 48 mode. It'd have been stupid if another Sony guy came and said it didn't. Tests may say otherwise and I believe you, it's just that they probably didn't choose 12mp over 48mp just because of detail level in 48mp mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ_RmqhgFLM an interesting comparison.
Turns out GM1 is not a 48mp sensor. It only upscales whereas Sony actually uses individual pixels.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 22:47
Are we betting on any new premium device to feature the SD865? Or will Sony opt for the 855 or 855+?

I would love to see a CES announcement, would give Sony an edge up on the rest of the announcements and reveals at MWC. But maybe MWC is more likely, but if the phone isn't anything special, it could easily be lost in the rest of the announcements at MWC, especially if it goes on sale 3-4 months later.

Will be interesting how Sony approaches the cameras on the new device, if they will stick to 3 and change around the specs or add another camera for a total of 4. Sony needs a unique selling point for the new phone otherwise it will fade away into the rest of the competition.

The glass back on the xperias are a nice touch, it does make them feel and look more premium but there is always the risk of the back breaking, but same for the front.

Battery

Looking at the FCC, I don't believe the Xperia 1 internal photos are available just yet but teardowns of the device exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0mDJn_mDU

So it says min 3200mAh but look below it also states 3300mAh, which matches the actual capacity from Sony's own specs.
https://www.sonymobile.com/gl[....]/xperia-1/specifications/#gref

So it will have at least 3200, but 3300 is probably the actual number, could it be more, perhaps, but I doubt it is as large as 3600mah from that article.

Camera

There seems to be conflicting evidence for the 12 vs 48 sensor, which is better or worse, ome coming from Sony themselves.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo[....]ress/201807/18-060E/index.html

Not sure what sensor sony used for that 12mp, but if it was one of theirs it could be the same as the 12mp from the xperia 1.

The 12mp sensor in the xperia 1 is 1/2.6", not great not terrible, but for sure smaller than sony's original 1/2.3" size, like in the IMX220, which has an area of 29.73mm^2 according to wiki but I do not see the area or full dimensions in the sony document. But using simple math and Pythagoras, the sensor is a 3x4 size, it does yield 6.30 mm and 4.72mm so 29.73mm^2 for area.

The main 12mp is exmor rs, and wiki for exmor rs states its the IMX445, I do believe some sites confirm this using hardware apps on the phone where it has the sensor name. So if the 1/2.55" (7.06mm) size is correct and its a 3x4 size, the area is 23.92mm^2, about 80% of the size of a 1/2.3". But the unit cell size is larger for the smaller sensor (1.4 vs 1.2) since it has less pixels.

The new 586 is a 1/2inch time, which sounds like a lot but in fact is not that much bigger than the 1/2.3" size.
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo[....]ress/201807/18-060E/index.html

Again we are looking at a 3x4 size, again plugging it all into the magical math, we get 6.4mm x 4.8mm or 30.72mm^2, which identical to a regular 1/2" sensor. So how much larger is this than the standard 1/2.3"? A little over 3% larger, so nothing spectacular.

Compare that to the IMX600, a 9.216 mm (1/1.95") size, which has an area of 40.76mm^2, which is 70% larger than 1/2.3".

But it seems both of these lack the embedded memory for 960fps recording as mentioned in that trustedreviews article but does that not mean a 1/2" sensor with 48MP and embedded ram could not be created for the new phone. But a larger sensor size will need a larger module to have a 1.6 aperture, where as the smaller 1/2.6" sensor with 1.6aperture can be much smaller. No sure how large of a module it might be but perhaps it would create quite a larger camera bump that would not look that great.

For me 960fps is seems nice, I would would use it for sure if my phone had it, but it would not be a deal breaker if the phone was lacking the feature. That said, I am sure Sony will include since the competition has it, especially Sony has fullhd for 960fps.

I'd love to see a larger and better camera on the new model. I am sure the alpha team will bring even more to the second model versus first. But I don't expect any miracles, and but the 1 year between models does provide the engineers with more time to come up with something better.

One thing caught my eye in that interview,

“Even though we’re one company, there are still sometimes barriers that Alpha doesn’t want to give Mobile certain things, because all of a sudden you have the same as what a £3,000 camera’s got”, he said

Sony can deny as they did below...

There are no interdepartmental rivalries between the various divisions and business units within Sony that would impact collaboration...

But truthfully, we know this to be the case. Over the many models of the xperia from the Z1, I feel only the xperia 1 looks like it had some proper input from the alpha team and previous years nothing was contributed by them, and if it was, it was negligible. I don't expect A9 or A7 level of quality from a smaller smartphone cam but I am sure some insight from them could be passe on be that hardware or software. Doubt professional photographers will drop their DSLRs for a smartphone.

Funny thing is, after that interview, Adam Marsh left Sony in March 2019. Probably just coincidence. He now works for HMD global.

Anyways sorry for the long post.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-09-14 23:32
Imx220 = 7.87 mm
Imx300 = 7.87mm
Imx400 = 7.73mm
Imx445 (X1) = 7.06mm
Imx563 (X5) = 7.06 mm

But even before X1, xperia already had stuff from alpha.
Predective Hybrid AF, Stacked sensor, 960fps, anti-distortion shutter

If I am not wrong , Alpha does not have EIS.
EIS is pretty rare on cameras.

I dont know about x5, but I am not the only that think SteadyShot is getting weaker since XZP.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic