Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Xperia 1 Unveiled

Previous  123 ... 212223 ... 282930  Next
Author Xperia 1 Unveiled
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-07-09 19:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
How do you explain the disparity between the 9 score and the verge's consistently average to low score for Sony phones? If it's genuinely good then most reviews should be around the same. But 2-3 full points is a lot
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-09 23:27
That is why I say there is a lot of bias sites.

Gsma: 8,4 ( it was 9,2 before Samsung users demand them to change because s10+ has 9.0)

Iphone Arena : 8 ( weird because XZP got 8.7, more shocking is the fact iphone Xr got 9.0 and they think Xr is better than Mate 20:Pro and Note 9)

Verge : 6,5

Android Central : 9

AndroidAuthority : 8,5

Trusted Reviews : 8,0

Techradar: 8

What pisses me off is that other devices that have worse screen, worse audio, slower performance, worse photos, worse video skills, notched screen get higher score just because are cheaper and battery lasts more (mostly because 1080p screen) ......

If you say you consider s10+ better it is okay. There are things s10+ does better, there are things X1 does better. But is ridiculous lower score than Mi9 , OP7 Pro amd Oppo Reno.

Genza25
K750
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 02:21
I really don't understand why you are making a fuss about ratings, for me a review using a scientific method or at least using a method that makes sense is much better and can be used as a reference.
blackzeros
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 08:51
verge is sony hater and phonearena is a joke , did you see sony wireless buds article, this is beyond absurd level.
Luca-S
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 11:47
I just got mine, I'm delighted!
The screen is simply the best by far, period.
The sound is weird to me, but it's really good. (a bit "HTCish")
The performance is top notch, as Sony always do.
The battery will be evaluated during the rest of the week.
The camera is some steps above all other Sony's and it's better than S10. (that my sister has)
The ergonomics is pleasant and screen's sensitivity is one of the best I tried.
The fingerprint scanner on the side is the best place.

The best review is made by the user, during the time of use of the mobile phone.
I don't care about these reviews anymore.
The only useful thing is to know what comes in the box and 3D (benchmark) performance, because I like to play games.
Are you nervous?
fulaan
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 12:16
hello could someone please list the names of the ringtones and notifications on the x1
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 12:26
Does xperia UI still allow multiple users ?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 14:14

On 2019-07-09 19:27:33, moogoo wrote:
How do you explain the disparity between the 9 score and the verge's consistently average to low score for Sony phones? If it's genuinely good then most reviews should be around the same. But 2-3 full points is a lot

Easy, the publishers all have their own conditions for what rates highly, from accessory support, customer service and overall post-sale support to features and overall quality of the device, they all weight these up differently and it’s all down to what they prioritize.

Don’t get lost in the Ratings alone.

TBH, I don’t even look at ratings, I just look at why they talk about regarding the parts of a phone I find most important.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-07-10 15:42
Well that's exactly what I mean. I don't care about ratings but your statement makes the implication that review sites are more objective than subjective. You said "There’s no need to be shocked mate, when a device is genuinely good they will give it a good rating."

But if it's a genuinely good phone, then all people should give it generally similar ratings. You don't see review sites smacking down a highend DSLR with such a point disparity simply due to their personal preferences. Obviously, reviews are based on the reviewer's personal tastes, but many of these so-called tech sites are supposed to have some objectivity built in for many of the standard features like screen quality, sound quality, performance, and battery life. Personal preference really only comes in with design, color, feel, camera results. Even so, as you said, if a device is genuinely good, then all reviews should reflect such. There shouldn't be such a great point disparity.

I've never put much weight on tech review sites simply cause it really does come down to personal preference and you really never know if there is any money involved in the background. For a device you use every day and rely on every day, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Doesn't matter if anybody gives it a 1/10, if you give it a 10/10 then F@%! the rest

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 20:24

On 2019-07-10 15:42:26, moogoo wrote:
Well that's exactly what I mean. I don't care about ratings but your statement makes the implication that review sites are more objective than subjective. You said "There’s no need to be shocked mate, when a device is genuinely good they will give it a good rating."

But if it's a genuinely good phone, then all people should give it generally similar ratings. You don't see review sites smacking down a highend DSLR with such a point disparity simply due to their personal preferences. Obviously, reviews are based on the reviewer's personal tastes, but many of these so-called tech sites are supposed to have some objectivity built in for many of the standard features like screen quality, sound quality, performance, and battery life. Personal preference really only comes in with design, color, feel, camera results. Even so, as you said, if a device is genuinely good, then all reviews should reflect such. There shouldn't be such a great point disparity.

I've never put much weight on tech review sites simply cause it really does come down to personal preference and you really never know if there is any money involved in the background. For a device you use every day and rely on every day, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Doesn't matter if anybody gives it a 1/10, if you give it a 10/10 then F@%! the rest

There will always be a point disparity, no device will meet a high level for every reviewer and looking at all reviews they seem quite happy with it. Nobody gave it a 4/10 or something.

Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-10 22:02

Here's a little bit of bts. He's talking about Huawei here. I think he deleted this later but I screenshot it.

Also a tip for the yt channels you hate: just close the video before it gets to the middle, this hurts them the most. Sooner you close the better.

(just saw tech chap's comparison and it was way too biased towards Samsung)
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-11 00:45

I dont feel any surprised after reading this.
That is why I always say sites are too hard on Sony, Htc and even LG.

When I read that Iphone Xr is rated above Note 9.
That Mi9 gets 1.0 more than Xperia 1.
I know Essential is a very ugly phone and had some issues, but reviewer giving 4/10 is ridiculous. No product can be that bad.

I understand different opinions anout battery endurance because it is impossible to find two people that use exactly the phone same way. There are other things that have influence on it like the temperature. Phones will have issues on hotter days.

But quality of screen , audio and camera cannot consider personnal preferences.
I dont like oled fpr few reasons, but if it is offering very accurate colors I have to say.

Few sites say you can barely use X1 outdoor. That the auto brightness boost (bit over 600 nits) is only for videos. Other reviewrs say they did not have issues.
Different opinions for audio, camera and that "edge" feature.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-07-11 00:26 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2019-07-11 06:52

On 2019-07-10 22:02:00, Ppl wrote:

Here's a little bit of bts. He's talking about Huawei here. I think he deleted this later but I screenshot it.

Also a tip for the yt channels you hate: just close the video before it gets to the middle, this hurts them the most. Sooner you close the better.

(just saw tech chap's comparison and it was way too biased towards Samsung)

So If they are super positive about Sony do we then go back to watching the full video and supporting them?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2019-07-11 06:57

On 2019-07-11 00:45:58, Hawk12 wrote:

I dont feel any surprised after reading this.
That is why I always say sites are too hard on Sony, Htc and even LG.

When I read that Iphone Xr is rated above Note 9.
That Mi9 gets 1.0 more than Xperia 1.
I know Essential is a very ugly phone and had some issues, but reviewer giving 4/10 is ridiculous. No product can be that bad.

I understand different opinions anout battery endurance because it is impossible to find two people that use exactly the phone same way. There are other things that have influence on it like the temperature. Phones will have issues on hotter days.

But quality of screen , audio and camera cannot consider personnal preferences.
I dont like oled fpr few reasons, but if it is offering very accurate colors I have to say.

Few sites say you can barely use X1 outdoor. That the auto brightness boost (bit over 600 nits) is only for videos. Other reviewrs say they did not have issues.
Different opinions for audio, camera and that "edge" feature.
[ This Message was edited by: Hawk12 on 2019-07-11 00:26 ]

The Essential Phone was riddled with endless bugs and build quality issues, with the speaker mesh falling out on many units, the camera was also a bit of a mess, it took quite a few Software updates to get it to a decent product. Many first batch owners felt like Beta testers, so I am not surprised someone gave that phone a bad rating, it got some revised changes during its run.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2019-07-11 05:59 ]
Ppl
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-07-11 10:02
When bendgate happened Apple also blacklisted some tubers. Huawei, Samsung follows the example of Apple in experience, I guess they thought why not copy their reviewer policies.

So don't expect every one to be fair about products. Make up your own mind. But I think Sony is wasting resources sending phones to those but maybe they believe that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

@Tsepz_GP the old like subscribe comment and share works if you are serious about supporting channels. I just get out whenever I can smell BS a mile away. Bad comments or dislikes benefits them.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 212223 ... 282930  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic