bronxdude
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
PM
Posted: 2018-11-09 14:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2018-11-08 15:41:33, vivftp wrote:

On 2018-11-08 11:40:07, bronxdude wrote:

On 2018-11-08 03:03:44, Archdragoon wrote:
Those old man don't really have the passion for mobile business at all...

I agree. They really need a total change of leadership in the mobile division. Someone who understands the market and knows how to fight for a dying division

Umm, didn't they get new leadership in mobile very recently? From the interviews we should be seeing the first results of the new leadership at MWC.

Let's see if he really understands the market
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-09 15:58
wasn't this guy in charge of the mobile or something after the first guy goofed it up with Z2? The new CEO is just doing what doing what a CEO should be doing if you ask me, cutting the lost. At this point I don't think the mobile department is salvageable. They certainly can use the designers for their other electronics electronics though. And software/hardware engineers for other ARM devices.
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-09 17:38

On 2018-11-09 15:58:57, Gitaroo wrote:
wasn't this guy in charge of the mobile or something after the first guy goofed it up with Z2? The new CEO is just doing what doing what a CEO should be doing if you ask me, cutting the lost. At this point I don't think the mobile department is salvageable. They certainly can use the designers for their other electronics electronics though. And software/hardware engineers for other ARM devices.

Smartphones I wager, are too important to just dump as a consumer electronics company. Though Sony strangely may well benefit on the whole in the short term from doing that. However, long term....It should look to completely revamp the business into a major revenue stream.

Take a look at Apple. Its iPhone business is basically funding the rest of the company almost singlehandedly. The profits they made off the last 10 years of iPhones is what has allowed them to build their own custom silicon which seems to be handily destroying even Intel's chips on a performance per watt basis. Its crazy.

I reckon it'd be short sighted to dump smartphones, because smartphones - particularly in the developing world - have become the primary computing device of millions, if not billions around the world. The opportunity is there. Maybe its not in producing the commodity smartphone as China will eat your lunch. Perhaps it is in the premium end of the market. They don't need to dominate it like Apple do, but if they can keep themselves a nice small chunk of the profitshare in the smartphone sector then that would be great.

I've been saying it for ages, and I will continue to repeat myself ad nauseum. Sony should not be making mid-range or low-end smartphones. They're not profitable and cannot compete with loss-leading chinese competitors. Bring Sony back to being the brand it once was in the 80s. A brand of unquestionable quality. Synonymous with premium.

On a side note, I think they should get back into the Laptop business, but that might be a bit silly right now. If perhaps they can sort their profitability out, or if there smartphone business is successful enough, they should re-enter it - again only really competing at the high end.

It goes without saying that I think they need to invest more in custom ARM-based silicon. And not just for smartphones. Imagine being able to power your own smartphones, Smart TV's, Cameras etc. with custom silicon. Imagine if you can go toe-to-toe with Apple in terms of performance per watt with your own designs....it would be perfection. Scale wouldn't be an issue cause Sony will always find a need for the chipsets in their own cameras and smart TV's, bonus is you get to roast Qualcomm-based smartphones in terms of performance. Imagine an ARM-based gaming future if x86 chips can no longer compete. Sony can extend their custom silicon design experience (Maybe partner with AMD for their fabs and GPU design experience) in building future gaming consoles.
Would be total vertical hardware integration.

Sony, if they play their cards right, could be a household name. Not just for gaming as they are now, but for personal computing as a whole, as they once used to be.
nikos_se
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2018-11-10 01:03
It's no secret that Sony Ericsson Mobile took a dip after Miles Flint left. Hideki Komiyama failed to leave a mark,and left in 2 short years.Bert Nordberg then was capable to transform Sony Ericsson from a feature phone company to a smartphone company.Kunimasa Suzuki,in 2012,did manage to create a kick-ass 2013 portfolio that had diversity:Xperia Z,SP,ZL,ZR,Z ultra,Z1 and the following year Z2,Z3,Z3 compact.After his departure Sony Mobile took a dip.Hiroki Totoki and his bad leadership resulted in awful devices like the X performance and XA.Sony Mobile shrunk down and had it worst quarters ever,under his leadership.The new CEO,Mitsuya Kishida has yet to show what he is capable of,however,i take the leaked designs of XA3-series,as a sign that Sony Mobile is at least trying to stay relevant.

All in all,I believe that Sony Mobile lost its touch once Japanese management took over.As long as,Europeans ran the company,the managed to make a difference and leave an impact,because they understood the market from a European perspective.It is not by chance,that not a single japanese company has had success in the smartphone area,even though they have the best displays and camera sensors available.Japanese management simply can't get that market.It's also a shame,that Sony is stubborn with choosing Japanese leadership,and not trusting European/American leadership.It is thanks to people like Miles Flint that Sony Ericsson was capable of delivery close to 2BLN$ per year in profit,when Sony was in red,and thanks to people like Andrew House that PS4 is the success that it is today.

P.S:Sorry for the rant.
AlvinZahranM
T250 Silver
PM
Posted: 2018-11-10 01:56
I missed the Sony Ericsson days pre-2009 and Sony Mobile's first year without Ericsson in a long time on 2013-2014 when they could achieve 12 billion euros revenue in a year (2007).

I see (and hope) that Mitsuya Kishida will turn the mobile business around just because of the XA3 family and L3 leaks. XZ3 (what XZ2 should've been) came in September, so I think Totoki still have something to do with the phone. We'll see his capabilities starting next year (like every other Sony executives), I also liked to see what's next for their Electronics division.

To their executives: if all of you are reading this, PLEASE F***ING GET A GRIP!
[ This Message was edited by: AlvinZahranM on 2018-11-10 00:57 ]
Daily Drivers: Galaxy S23 Ultra, Galaxy S22 Ultra, and iPhone 14 Pro Max
Secondary: vivo X80 Pro
Still using as a backup: Xperia XZ2
Still using (not as much): Galaxy Tab A 8.0
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-11-10 19:12
I heard from someone that ambient flow is gone, it should be gone for MWC but if not then IFA. I was told that the shape will be a departure from what we are used to, in my mind that means it will be less angular to accommodate curved corners and curved edges but that is pure speculation. I asked about it looking like the Xperia X because someone mentioned it here but got no reply.

It sounds like it will be pretty much on par with other flagships in terms of hardware, camera is a question mark so no idea if it is the fat dual camera from the XZ2P or something else. Not sure about the Premium, it depends on if there is a 4K OLED or not. If not then probably 4K LCD but let's see how that turns out.
ADIDA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-10 19:25
Sony's new smartphones info...

3 flagship smartphone with 5G and snapdragon 8150, new camera sensor IMX700+IMX380, NO under screen fingerprint... 21:9 Screen, QHD OLED, 4K OLED

2 Mid-Range Smartphone wiht Snapdragon 630.... No Snap660, 21:9 LCD Screen

New Low-Range Smartphone With Helio P22
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-10 21:44
Some posts on weibo suggest a design similar to X, other posts say similar to XZ.
Many talk about sided FPS, no mention if it's power button or separate.

Looks like Sharp will have for sale two sizes of 4K oled. 5.5 and 6.6 ( or 6.2). I don't know if it's 18:9 or 21:9.

Another weibo user says that among the prototypes of XZ4, few have headphone jack and one has notch.

As everyone here knows I prefer Lcd over oled. But on reddit and other forums Xz3 with screen issues are seen already.
Xz3 offers better image quality than Xz2, but the amount of money Sony Mobile will spend to replace those screens will make situation even worse.

There are very expensive laptops out there and they still use Lcd.
It still can be improved... One of the major Lcd suppliers ( LG, Sharp or JDi) will present a new kind of Lcd.
With less power consumption, more contrast and brightness.

Samsung and LG have been working with oled for so many years and could not get rid of the issues, just improve image quality. When all companies move to microLed, oled will die but LCD will still be around.

xpr
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 01:25

On 2018-11-10 21:44:50, Moe87 wrote:
Some posts on weibo suggest a design similar to X, other posts say similar to XZ.
Many talk about sided FPS, no mention if it's power button or separate.

I find it hard to believe. Why would Sony go back to such an old and dated design? Ambient flow seems to be good - people do praise the XZ3 for looking very good - so I see no reason why Sony would abandon it all of a sudden.

Looks like Sharp will have for sale two sizes of 4K oled. 5.5 and 6.6 ( or 6.2). I don't know if it's 18:9 or 21:9.
AFAIK Sony use JDI on the XZ3.

Another weibo user says that among the prototypes of XZ4, few have headphone jack and one has notch.
I don't see Sony using a notch - it's a dumb trend created by Apple and I believe it will disappear in near future.

As everyone here knows I prefer Lcd over oled. But on reddit and other forums Xz3 with screen issues are seen already.
Xz3 offers better image quality than Xz2, but the amount of money Sony Mobile will spend to replace those screens will make situation even worse.

Well, I guess you could find an even bigger amount of complaints on reddit and other forums about LCDs.

What are the complaints about XZ3? Would you care to provide a link?

I've read somewhere (can't remember where though) that Xperia's OLED is manufactured by a printing/injection process, which is different to what others do and it's also more expensive.

There are very expensive laptops out there and they still use Lcd.
It still can be improved... One of the major Lcd suppliers ( LG, Sharp or JDi) will present a new kind of Lcd.
With less power consumption, more contrast and brightness.

LGD has already done it - it's called MLCD+ and currently, you can find it on LG G7 or Xperia XZ2P.

Samsung and LG have been working with oled for so many years and could not get rid of the issues, just improve image quality. When all companies move to microLed, oled will die but LCD will still be around.

This reminds me that Sony has recently presented their latest micro led screen for cameras. It would be interesting to see it on a smartphone.
Oh, and LCD will remain not only due to good reliability, it's also cheap.
xpr
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 01:35
I've got myself an XZ3 recently and I'm very impressed with the screen. I've run some comparisons against Galaxy S9+, iPhone X, Pixels 2XL and the XZ3 has clearly the superior screen
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 05:38
Xpr, do you have a link to the micro led display for cameras?
Xperiaplus2
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 09:50
Hi everybody
Umidigi they fix new image senser from Sony with 48mp
https://youtu.be/LLe8JVdwyrw
ADIDA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 11:32
IMX586 is mid-range sensor.... new sensor is IMX700 just for sony's smartphones
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 12:13
The screen of XZ3 comes from LG. Like Pixel 3.
Only LG adopted the commercial name P-oled.
Inkjet print is cheaper than evaporation ( used by koreans) also the waste of materials is reduced. Panasonic has this tech.

Imx586 is not midrange sensor. It is much better than the ones used by IPhone, Pixel.
It probably will be used by Mi9 and BBK flagships.

https://sumahoinfo.com/post-26680 ( green /pink line)
https://sumahoinfo.com/post-26534 ( same weird issue found on Mate 20)

ADIDA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-11-11 12:19
Small Pixels, Small Sensor...... Yes, will be used OnePlus 7, Mi9 and etc, but not more premium flagships

Sony's new camera sensor more like 1 inch and 1/1.7 inch sensor other brand's flagships
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 202122 ... 228229230  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic