Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 125126127 ... 228229230  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2019
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-20 21:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Damn, that new Samsung Fold is... kinda questionable in design. Oh it's a beast in specs alright, but the design is kinda iffy for me.

If this is the best folding phone tech can do right now maybe it's best Sony wait a bit longer.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2019-02-20 22:42

On 2019-02-20 20:03:07, Hawk12 wrote:

About the cam, I think they should stick with Hybrid AF and not use DP.
DP is hardware based, it has already reached its apex.
Hybrid being software based can be improved, just like they do with their mirroless.
More sensors with DP, more royalties paid to Canon.

Hybrid AF uses both contrast and phase detection techs, and from what I've read both technologies, at least in mirrorless cams and smartphones, still require the sensor for the autofocus to work, with software probably required to read that information and adjust the focus accordingly. So in what way do you mean is software based? Hybrid AF still uses the sensor for the autofocus to work. Do you mean software is required for the autofocus?

There is nothing wrong with Canon's dual pixel tech, it is still pretty great for photos and video, it was introduced in 2013, so pretty recently. Even Sony has a patent for dual pixel autofocus from 2017.

https://www.sonyalpharumors.c[....]-sensor-similar-canon-version/

Oddly enough the dual pixel sensor samsung used in their S7, is from Sony, so the DP tech is either from Sony, or Sony is paying royalties to Canon? Maybe? Again can't seem to find an article confirming this.

I searched and could not find anything about royalties to canon for their DP tech, so perhaps you have read an article that shows this?

On 2019-02-20 13:54:29, Hawk12 wrote:
A big phone like z ultra with 7.7mm would easily have space for 1".

In 7.7mm? unlikely. Less than 20mm though? could be possible for Sony.

A 1 inch sensor would fit inside the device I agree, the sensor itself is not that large after all, around 14mm x 9mm. But then how about the rest of the module, let alone the lenses you need to focus the light onto such a large sensor.

comparison of size of 1/2.3 and 1 inch, would be awesome to have such a large sensor in a thin phone, but not going to happen.

The bigger the sensor the larger the lens is required to cover it with the appropriate light. Sure you would be able to eliminate the need for interchangeable lenses and could make the lens as compact as possible but no way would that all fit in a 7.7mm body, a camera bump would be required, and I don't mean a few mm one.

Yes the Huawai P20 Pro has a 1/1.7" in it and this is much larger than Sony's current 1/2.3, plus it fits in a 7.8mm body but does it really? No, this is only the thickness of the actual body not including the camera from my understanding of the dimensions from photos. The module for the large sensor does seem to stick out in various photos.

This photo here on this article shows module and how it sticks out

https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=20528

While I can't find the actual thickness with the camera module (perhaps someone has seen real world dimensions with the camera bump), extrapolating from profile photos and using the 7.8mm thickness as a base, with the camera module the pro 20 is around 9.2 to 9.4mm. Yes this thicker part is only the camera module, and the rest of the phone is 7.8mm, the camera does not fit into this 7.8mm thickness fully.

Looking at other large sensor phones, we have the Lumia 1020, a 2/3 sensor (1/1.5). The thickness was 10.4mm but with the camera bump 14.5mm, which is not that thin but then the module did include a xenon flash with OIS, so understandable why it was that thick. I am sure Sony as a company with camera and engineering experience could make something similar thinner, but I doubt by much.

Here is the actual module from the 1020.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/textlad/9266132721

This is pretty big and I doubt it would fit into body less than 8mm thick. Btw the F is 2.2 on it, which in smartphone terms now could be seen as not such a bright lens but still not horrible if you ask me. Here is some info on the sensor:

http://image-sensors-world.bl[....]es-more-lumia-1020-camera.html

Here is the giant 1020 sensor module with some other sensors, maybe it would fit in the xz2 premium in the middle of the curve?

Bumping up to a 1 inch sensor on an xperia would require a much thicker phone, easily >15mm, and probably even more, I feel we'd be looking at 20mm phone to house such a sensor and lens. Even if Sony decided to use a camera bump which they could, they phone could be thinner of course and then the super large camera bump.

Do people remember panasonic Lumix smart camera?

https://www.gsmarena.com/pana[....]umix_smart_camera_cm1-6675.php

1 inch sensor, 21.1mm thick. F2.8, not the brightest lens but the large sensor would help in low light situations.

here is a review
https://www.dpreview.com/revi[....]ic-lumix-dmc-cm1-camera-review

So it has been done before and I feel Sony could easily improve on this, add oled screen, newer tech, smaller boards, etc, and I feel Sony could bring it down to 15mm for the camera bump? Even if it was at under 20mm for the camera bump, that would still be pretty decent if the lens was also at least F2.4.

Sony already has a compact 1 inch camera, their RX0, at almost 30mm, it is pretty thick, but it is also an action camera so it's made to be small and compact but not necessarily thin. Sadly the lens is F4.0 so not that bright.

While I would like to see Sony release a 1 inch camera on a mobile phone, I don't feel it will happen, at least not in the near term with the trend for companies to offer triple and quad camera setups, and nokia gearing up for 5 cameras. Even apple will offer a triple camera design, so even apple is not blind to where the market is heading.

I'd rather see Sony offer for example a triple design with the main camera featuring a larger than 1/2.3 sensor, and 2 more cams, wide angle and zoom.
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-20 23:11
Samsung flagships use isocell and exmor. Since s5 or s6.
So both are paying to use DP AF....

I remember to read c4 and c5 were getting it with android 6.

Software can improve it, exactly what Panny plans to do with s1/s1r.
Better software is bringing faster AF to a9.
Even a6400 has better focus than EOS R ..

Madmiraj_-
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 01:10
So we saw how it was with the galaxy fold.. It is still in development.. Not yet ready for mass production.. So there were no leaks, whatsoever.. Same case for the sony flagship.. It is still under development.. So nobody knows accurately what's cooking.. So more or less late april launch for the phone..
S10 family was pretty much ready since early january.. The production lines got them.. And that's why they leaked like crazy.. The amount of leaks explains the time too. . Cause if something is leaking, it means that it is ready for sale, it is undergoing mass production..

Only 4days left.. Still no sign of the flagship.. We know nothing about it.. It is exciting but still a bummer.. We don't know what to expect.. We might have high expectations now and if it turns out mediocre, we will be sad..

P. S I asked a friend of mine about the flagship.. He is a leaker.. Still he says that he hasn't heard anything about the flagship.. Only L3 and Xperia 10/plus..he did mention the names.. So it is going to be that for sure..
[ This Message was edited by: Madmiraj_- on 2019-02-21 00:12 ]
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 01:29
In some ways I prefer it this way, let us get leaks on all the low end stuff that doesn't matter. Save the flagship products for the surprise.

Excited to see what they announce
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-02-21 01:58
i'm excited too.

i'm not sure why it's called a "10" though. is it a 10 year anniversary? Doesn't really make sense to me. last fall would have been 10 year anniversary. now it's over 10 years and it's definitely been more than 10 devices... so...

either way, i hope it is something special. wow us sony.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Madmiraj_-
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 02:02

On 2019-02-21 01:58:40, moogoo wrote:
i'm excited too.

i'm not sure why it's called a "10" though. is it a 10 year anniversary? Doesn't really make sense to me. last fall would have been 10 year anniversary. now it's over 10 years and it's definitely been more than 10 devices... so...

either way, i hope it is something special. wow us sony.

I am excited too.. But I am more worried... Because if they are unable to launch it in March then there will be very bad sales.. The S10 family is good.. I really have to say.. It is just enough.. The notch? I dislike it.. But it doesn't matter now, does it? So sony really needs to take the phones to shelves sooner.. Otherwise even hardcore fans won't wait..
Bialynia
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 02:19
No renders or leaks still??
unfadedghost
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 03:29
1inch curved sensor is not so big . Also not required the lens
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2019-02-21 04:05
Renders or leaks of something that we haven't seen yet will appear a day .. maybe two before the press conf. that's if there really is a flagship that will be announced. maybe all we will see are what we've already seen leaked.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
ADIDA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 07:49
Zackbuks: Xperia 10, 10 Plus and 10 Ultimate
AlvinZahranM
T250 Silver
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 08:32
That's only a guess. Besides, that name is totally absurd.
Daily Drivers: Galaxy S23 Ultra, Galaxy S22 Ultra, and iPhone 14 Pro Max
Secondary: vivo X80 Pro
Still using as a backup: Xperia XZ2
Still using (not as much): Galaxy Tab A 8.0
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 11:55
Was there any posts with 7 and 6 these days ?
runtome71
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 12:19
Not get mad.
Get ready to be disappointed
Hawk12
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2019-02-21 13:14
As long it has front speakers, I dont care if final design might bring 1cm bezel or more.
Even an editor from gsma wrote article weeks ago to say his opinion about tiny bezel has change.
To him, phones like FindX design are very annoying to use.

Of course none wants an ugly phone, so far just XZ2c and E4 were ugly.

I miss the time midranges had same design of flagships.
M series was very fancy.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 125126127 ... 228229230  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic