Author Sony Xperia XZ2 Announced
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2018-03-02 07:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2018-03-02 06:09:41, nikola1970 wrote:

On 2018-03-02 04:45:11, Tsepz_GP wrote:
How is it that this phone is 11mm thick yet has no 3.5mm jack??? What did they do with all that space?

I have not seen a high end flagship that is this thick in a long time.

They added dual shock like vibrators inside so it vibrates when you listen to music, so that took all the space Tell me, is there a more usless feature then this ever made in phones world?
[ This Message was edited by: nikola1970 on 2018-03-02 05:10 ]

Seriously!? Was this not a feature that Motorola brought with the Motorola E398 (ROKR E1) with the dual speakers that lit up back in 2004? I thought that was a cool feature when I was 14 simpler times in mobile.

I hope that whole mechanism brings some other features with it , as why waste so much space for just that?

This phone looks great BTW, just seems Sony took a few steps back in some aspects.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-03-02 08:35
Glad to see SONY cut the bezels and refresh the design but that FP readers placement makes the S8's look great.

Lack of the audio jack is a bummer too. Unless the phone is too slim to accommodate it, there is no reason to get rid of it.
Wait, there is...force users to buy their BT headphones like Apple did!
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-03-02 17:57

On 2018-03-02 07:35:36, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2018-03-02 06:09:41, nikola1970 wrote:

On 2018-03-02 04:45:11, Tsepz_GP wrote:
How is it that this phone is 11mm thick yet has no 3.5mm jack??? What did they do with all that space?

I have not seen a high end flagship that is this thick in a long time.

They added dual shock like vibrators inside so it vibrates when you listen to music, so that took all the space Tell me, is there a more usless feature then this ever made in phones world?
[ This Message was edited by: nikola1970 on 2018-03-02 05:10 ]

Seriously!? Was this not a feature that Motorola brought with the Motorola E398 (ROKR E1) with the dual speakers that lit up back in 2004? I thought that was a cool feature when I was 14 simpler times in mobile.

I hope that whole mechanism brings some other features with it , as why waste so much space for just that?

This phone looks great BTW, just seems Sony took a few steps back in some aspects.

its the nintendo switch HD rumble in a phone.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2018-03-03 21:13
https://www.phonearena.com/ne[....]-of-the-MWC-expo-2018_id102917

Guess Phone Arena likes the new Sony phones.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-03-03 22:55

On 2018-03-02 00:53:51, doministry wrote:

On 2018-02-27 04:15:01, Supa_Fly wrote:

On 2018-02-26 22:46:35, doministry wrote:
Nice to see a new tech for the camera developed together with the processor producer...
Mentioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgxguP_39LU

The one thing which makes me mad is the lack of headphone jack.
What the f..... we need to use this stupid cable.

SemiConductor Technology 10 nm LPP
- sweet mother Mary!

4K Video recording with stereo sound
- in the words of Popeye "Blow me Down!"

Gorilla Glass Back on XZ2
- WTF Sony ... seriously ENOUGH with the Glass Back! Enough!!!!

@Doministry,

Are you kidding me? You've had at least 1-2yrs from Apple's change from this ... 1 year from 3 other Android manufacturers following suit to prepare for this eventuality. In Fact ... as a former user, of which :Ericsson: created Bluetooth technology and standards, you've had about 10yrs to know this eventuality was doing to happy someday.

Breathe with me ... Listening to Digital content with Digitial sound that is degraded by converted to Analog sound before it gets to your ears is actually never been a good solution. Sony has done a phenomenal job leading the industry with Amplifiers and great ANC in former smartphones dating back (on Android) as far back as the Z3 lineup ... so hopefully they'll have a solution.

Now I'm aware you're in a band and previously back with the Z2/3/5 you've recorded directly on the Sony smartphone ... are you still doing this? Is there USB-C to 1/4" adapters that would work for say the Guitar and USB-C to Midi connectors?

I am not sure you know for 100% what you're talking about.
As a musician though, I can tell you one thing: jack and cables aren't going anywhere soon.
They're 100% reliable and top notch quality, otherwise they'd be replaced long time ago.
Geting rid of this connection on phones is just a f... lazyness.
And for the users - a big sh..t with carrying dongles. F.. the dongles, ask the new Mac users.
Bluetooth headsets? Give me a break. I have a pro level headphones, none of these are Bluetooth LOL.

The end of your post I don't get really, what are you talking about...
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2018-03-01 23:54 ]

Physical 1/4" and similar connectors haven't been replaced for direct instruments simply due to compatibility: Concerts more so (live shows) vs recording hardware. My point:

MIDI
Digital Instruments pioneered by Pioneer (Electric Violin & Bass) have both connections.
Roland ... huge in the industry with digital drum kits (they started this btw) and hugely popularized in the very early 90's as a viable solution for home/studio/touring concerts by the Def Leppard drummer (using 1 arm, he lost his other in car accident just 3yrs before their global massively successful Hysteria album tour) capable for doing MORE than what he was used to.
- I have a friend that plays drums for over 30yrs since we were teenagers. He swore by real drums and for the most part still does. However he couldn't play it in his apartment without serious complaints that his dad loathed yet had to force him to live by. I showed him a set of Roland drums in '89 far too expensive yet I said to him digital products drop in price and he could play drums through headphones and nobody will hear anything. He replied Kick pedal, I replied gym mats underneath absorb a LOT of sound. 4yrs later he's got his full kit and loves them!

Ableton, Logic Pro, etc are ALL "digital" professional recording software (others are sold with hardware 1U rack kits for hardware connections; Mugo I think is one) ... how do you think professionals augment/compose a lot of music? Not only by playing instruments.

There are a LOT of high-end quality Bluetooth Amps and headsets that support APTX-HD, WAV and other lossless codecs and can match just about any top end professional wired headsets: and I'm not talking about Beats, Bose, or small BestBuy brands. You just need to dig and research. I'm not talking about strictly bluetooth for our phones. MIDI as we know still has a latency that increases from 8milliseconds when multiple connections are daisy chained.

All in all a specific type of connection (like MIDI when it first debuted was rebuffed) shouldn't preclude horrible quality. I'm sure anyone of us can read about the initial reaction of the Electric Guitar and how it was received regarding use/sound quality and how it evolved Into popular culture especially after Jimi Hendrix blessed it with his soul.

As the connection improves ... your statement of "laziness" (which is when a standard is never evolved) will be applied. An example ... most headphones have only 20-20'000khz range this isn't a limit of the human ears hearing.

Currently in smartphones ... choosing USB-C is a matter of cost over the 3.5mm headset jack. The connection doesn't save on cost itself ... but the ability to not include an onboard DAC is where the savings are.

PS: Food for thought ... how many concerts can you recall an instrument professionally played/used without issue using a wireless connection?

Prince
Madonna
Def Leppard
Metallica
Bon Jovi
etc etc
all had small wireless connections for Guitars, Keyboards, etc to broadcast to an amp yet connected wired to the instrument itself (save for the digital personal keyboards used on a strap over the shoulder that many Funk bands used). That's my point. Bluetooth can and most likely will evolve to get to this professional use, and for the average consumer this is already very capable and useful.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2018-03-04 01:59
The camera is looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9n4tI6S5Hg

ADIDA
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-03-04 05:41

On 2018-03-04 01:59:01, DACHA wrote:
The camera is looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9n4tI6S5Hg

is not real test
nikola1970
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-03-04 07:32
Yes, that is fake.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-03-05 16:07

On 2018-03-03 22:55:45, Supa_Fly wrote:

On 2018-03-02 00:53:51, doministry wrote:

On 2018-02-27 04:15:01, Supa_Fly wrote:

On 2018-02-26 22:46:35, doministry wrote:
Nice to see a new tech for the camera developed together with the processor producer...
Mentioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgxguP_39LU

The one thing which makes me mad is the lack of headphone jack.
What the f..... we need to use this stupid cable.

SemiConductor Technology 10 nm LPP
- sweet mother Mary!

4K Video recording with stereo sound
- in the words of Popeye "Blow me Down!"

Gorilla Glass Back on XZ2
- WTF Sony ... seriously ENOUGH with the Glass Back! Enough!!!!

@Doministry,

Are you kidding me? You've had at least 1-2yrs from Apple's change from this ... 1 year from 3 other Android manufacturers following suit to prepare for this eventuality. In Fact ... as a former user, of which :Ericsson: created Bluetooth technology and standards, you've had about 10yrs to know this eventuality was doing to happy someday.

Breathe with me ... Listening to Digital content with Digitial sound that is degraded by converted to Analog sound before it gets to your ears is actually never been a good solution. Sony has done a phenomenal job leading the industry with Amplifiers and great ANC in former smartphones dating back (on Android) as far back as the Z3 lineup ... so hopefully they'll have a solution.

Now I'm aware you're in a band and previously back with the Z2/3/5 you've recorded directly on the Sony smartphone ... are you still doing this? Is there USB-C to 1/4" adapters that would work for say the Guitar and USB-C to Midi connectors?

I am not sure you know for 100% what you're talking about.
As a musician though, I can tell you one thing: jack and cables aren't going anywhere soon.
They're 100% reliable and top notch quality, otherwise they'd be replaced long time ago.
Geting rid of this connection on phones is just a f... lazyness.
And for the users - a big sh..t with carrying dongles. F.. the dongles, ask the new Mac users.
Bluetooth headsets? Give me a break. I have a pro level headphones, none of these are Bluetooth LOL.

The end of your post I don't get really, what are you talking about...
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2018-03-01 23:54 ]

Physical 1/4" and similar connectors haven't been replaced for direct instruments simply due to compatibility: Concerts more so (live shows) vs recording hardware. My point:

MIDI
Digital Instruments pioneered by Pioneer (Electric Violin & Bass) have both connections.
Roland ... huge in the industry with digital drum kits (they started this btw) and hugely popularized in the very early 90's as a viable solution for home/studio/touring concerts by the Def Leppard drummer (using 1 arm, he lost his other in car accident just 3yrs before their global massively successful Hysteria album tour) capable for doing MORE than what he was used to.
- I have a friend that plays drums for over 30yrs since we were teenagers. He swore by real drums and for the most part still does. However he couldn't play it in his apartment without serious complaints that his dad loathed yet had to force him to live by. I showed him a set of Roland drums in '89 far too expensive yet I said to him digital products drop in price and he could play drums through headphones and nobody will hear anything. He replied Kick pedal, I replied gym mats underneath absorb a LOT of sound. 4yrs later he's got his full kit and loves them!

Ableton, Logic Pro, etc are ALL "digital" professional recording software (others are sold with hardware 1U rack kits for hardware connections; Mugo I think is one) ... how do you think professionals augment/compose a lot of music? Not only by playing instruments.

There are a LOT of high-end quality Bluetooth Amps and headsets that support APTX-HD, WAV and other lossless codecs and can match just about any top end professional wired headsets: and I'm not talking about Beats, Bose, or small BestBuy brands. You just need to dig and research. I'm not talking about strictly bluetooth for our phones. MIDI as we know still has a latency that increases from 8milliseconds when multiple connections are daisy chained.

All in all a specific type of connection (like MIDI when it first debuted was rebuffed) shouldn't preclude horrible quality. I'm sure anyone of us can read about the initial reaction of the Electric Guitar and how it was received regarding use/sound quality and how it evolved Into popular culture especially after Jimi Hendrix blessed it with his soul.

As the connection improves ... your statement of "laziness" (which is when a standard is never evolved) will be applied. An example ... most headphones have only 20-20'000khz range this isn't a limit of the human ears hearing.

Currently in smartphones ... choosing USB-C is a matter of cost over the 3.5mm headset jack. The connection doesn't save on cost itself ... but the ability to not include an onboard DAC is where the savings are.

PS: Food for thought ... how many concerts can you recall an instrument professionally played/used without issue using a wireless connection?

Prince
Madonna
Def Leppard
Metallica
Bon Jovi
etc etc
all had small wireless connections for Guitars, Keyboards, etc to broadcast to an amp yet connected wired to the instrument itself (save for the digital personal keyboards used on a strap over the shoulder that many Funk bands used). That's my point. Bluetooth can and most likely will evolve to get to this professional use, and for the average consumer this is already very capable and useful.

To be honest with you, this post is super f... annoying.
You want to teach me? I am so happy for your drummer friend, I will just repeat: I am pro musician
for the last 26 years. So what the hell do you want to explain to me?

It is simple - headphone connector is CUT from the phones because it's just much more simple to manufacture the
device without it. End of the story. The same goes with physical buttons, physical keyboards etc.
Headphone connectors have not been replaced in he Pro department just because they work perfectly.
It's still the most optimal and stable thing. This is not going anywhere.
a w a r e
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-03-05 17:00
The is no single benefit to remove the 3.5mm jack apart from Sony being able to sell their more expensive headsets and dongles.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-03-05 21:12
are we still on the lack of headphone jack? it is what it is.. accept it folks. if you don't like it, don't buy it. sony will get the picture..

personally, i would miss it cause i use a wired headset for phone calls as i hate holding my phone for more than 2 minutes. que sera sera... hopefully the pro/premium model doesn't make this same mistake and if it does... it will be re-done in the 2019 model.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2018-03-06 00:14
I feel if sony goes for an OLED screen in the next high end phone, the headphone jack may return?
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-03-06 09:14
I've got BT earphones, headphones and speakers that I regularly use yet on long bus travels etc I use a wired earphone..mainly cause of the battery. I still feel its way too early for makers to avoid the 3.5mm jack unless they are simply trying to ape the Apple trend.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2018-03-07 13:58
Benchmark score

Link text...

http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobi[....]8/1/rv/sony-xperia-xz2-review/
[ This Message was edited by: tai020381 on 2018-03-07 12:59 ]
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM