Previous  123 ... 262263264 ... 385386387  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2018
Ambivalent_
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-04-26 11:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2018-04-26 09:47:33, badassmam wrote:
Juve supporter here, still hurting from two weeks back and I'm sure Bayern fans still hurting from last year's exit because you know how hard it is to beat the 12 men of Madrid. The foul in the first minute should've been given to Bayern was much worse than the one Madrid got in stoppages against Juve plus Madrid players are immune to yellow cards it seems and are never punished for diving...I could go on all day about this.

Anyway, been in Turkey last week and took some amazing slo-mo videos on my XZ1C, took some lovely underwater videos too. Had two horror flights with the little one, delayed both ways but was able to play endless Peppa Pig episodes for the boy without worrying about the battery. The phone is dented around all the metal edges but no glass cracks and scratches plus the plastic is very tough.

Back onto topic, speaking to a Sony guy he was saying that the XZ2 line is like a warm up before they start going through a refining phase with the XZ3 lines I assume. With that it seems like ambient flow will be the main design language for a while. I spoke about the FPS position moving back to the side and he said they can't do it with an integrated power button for US patent issues but we spoke about having it on the side here people use it like that HTC squeeze phone somehow but I think they will actually move the FPS higher next time because he acknowledged that its easy to smear the camera lens particularly the dual lens.

We talked about the design and I said I like the loop way more plus I said the new Compact should have better battery endurance. His response was that they would be sticking to 1080p for the future and he was right in saying that the current LCD quality is excellent so unless they can improve on this with the OLED, LCD will remain in a lot of their devices, reading between the lines I think the OLED panel will be very high quality so 4K perhaps? I told him that ambient flow as a metal device would be so much nicer and lighter which he hinted that the XA lines may get that sort of flavour.

Camera from Sony is big focus he says and he sort of hinted that the XZ2P had to be the device to introduce the dual camera despite him admitting that the XZ2 looks better designed and proportioned, its like he hinted that the XZ2P is a fanboy device in that only those with much love for Sony will buy it rather than the mainstream. By that it seems like it could've been designed better to reduce the bezels and make it look like a proper step up from the XZ2.

That brings us to IFA. From talking to him I would expect something like the XZ2s, a slight refresh with a couple of new colours but nothing major. I got nothing out of him regarding the hero or Pro device that people are talking about. I think there will be a surprise, perhaps a big one. I don't know if that will be a note competitor or the OLED (4K?) device but it should showcase a first for Sony at least.

I've also been speaking to a few people from different companies. One thing that caught my eye was Huawei if it was them who have these really cool smart glasses. You get your display on the lenses but the frame have a motion detector so you can control your display with gestures. The example I saw was a 3D building, looks like augmented reality on your lenses but you could pinch and zoom, rotate the building and so on. The concept worked well for documents so the lady was talking to me, I asked her questions and she answered them from whatever she was looking at on her lens. Its a little creepy in some ways, she could've been watching a video while sitting there pretending to be interested in what I was saying.
[ This Message was edited by: badassmam on 2018-04-26 08:48 ]

Thanks for the great post! So no mention of in screen FPS? Any info on the devices with S855 SoC?

Btw. basically there is still a good chance that we haven't seen the best of Sony this year, there could be a "Pro" Premium @ IFA?
[ This Message was edited by: Ambivalent_ on 2018-04-26 10:35 ]
XperiaX
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-26 11:43
Thanks for great post.

So IFA could be:

XZ2s with dual camera and maybe FPS moved slightly higher.
XZ2 Pro - Samsung Note competitor. 4K OLED.
and maybe some new mid-ranger (XA3 with SD660, 18:9 FHD, thin bezel).

Completely new XZ3 lineup for MWC.

Any news on the rumored tablet?
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-04-26 15:15
With the under screen FPS the area of where the finger is read needs to be large and quite high because of the way you hold a phone, you have to be able to unlock whilst having it fit snugly in your hand or you risk dropping it. I personally prefer a physical button and I don't see the benefit of this.

I don't think the FPS position will move this year but possibly for the XZ3 in 2019. If you look at the XA2, the position is much better because the camera is at the top, this is ideal which is why I was banging on about the Arc design to allow space for a large sensor as opposed to the current design because even if the dimensions are the same the Arc gives the impression that it is a smaller device. Anyway, all speculation about the Pro device, what size it could be and it seems like spektykles is someone who would know.
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-26 15:41
Doesn't the JDI in-screen FPS allow the person to touch any part of the screen?
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-04-26 20:43
The Vivo phone has a sensor under the screen in one fixed position, it was done by Synaptics but not sure about JDI.
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2018-04-27 02:02

On 2018-01-23, Japan Display Inc. (JDI) wrote:
This technology has evolved within JDI to the extent that the company has succeeded in enhancing it to detect the changes in capacitance caused by the recesses and ridges of an individual's fingerprints. This further technological development made it possible to form JDI's new capacitive fingerprint sensor on a transparent glass substrate. JDI will expand the lineup to include larger or smaller sizes as well as this 8mm x 8mm sensor.

http://www.j-display.com/english/news/2018/20180123.html

So assuming that the sensor is now 8x8mm, therefore its not full screen.

venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 12:46
Tweet from XB says Sony expect to sell 10 miliion devices until April 2019.
blackzeros
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 13:07
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

well it doesnt look good for sony mobile, they also expect loss of money for this financial year...
AlvinZahranM
T250 Silver
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 13:16
Their mobile division isn't getting any better. Everytime their financial results came out, the mobile division always has bad news. Especially its Q1 2018 results... Horrific.
Daily Drivers: Galaxy S23 Ultra, Galaxy S22 Ultra, and iPhone 14 Pro Max
Secondary: vivo X80 Pro
Still using as a backup: Xperia XZ2
Still using (not as much): Galaxy Tab A 8.0
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 13:55
Some ppl still insist to say that sales would grow if phones had more SCREEN TO BODY RATIO.
It has nothing to do with it.
S7 had better sales than s8.

Most of the markets, ppl buy just cheaper phones.
Like Xiaomi Redmi, Samsung J or Moto G.

Sony Mobile is the one to blame.
Phones are announced at MWC but 2 months later they are not available everywhere.
I have no idea if XZ2 will arrive here. Ultra is here (about $730,00, similar to A8+ price) and XA2 may be soon.
Poor advertisement. On tv we only see PS4.

All my Xperia were bought online, because you dont find all models unlocked here.
Devices like Z2, M5 and Z5 just as carrier phones.
Right now only XA, XAu and E5 can be found here. A city with almost 140k citizens.
Here we have big department stores.

badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 14:32
The financials are context based and I think you need to look at individual sales i.e. how many XZ1, XZ1 Compact, XA1 etc. If you get an offset from one of the models like XA1 selling few at low price but XZ1 selling well at high price, it doesn't give the full story. My opinion is that the lineup should be even smaller so having one of the XA1 Pro or the XA1 Ultra as an example rather than both. They should go for L, XA, XZ, XZ Compact (could even cut this since the XZ2C has no benefits over the XZ2 and the sizes seem to be similar too), XZ Premium and be done there. One Plus sells one model only and see how well they have done.
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 15:26
XZ1c = 12,9cm
XZ1 = 14,8cm

XZ2 = 15,3cm
XZ2c = 13,5cm

Difference was 1.9cm, now it is 1.8cm.
It is like difference between XA1 and XA1u.

OnePlus has 2 devices per year, also sales count whole BBK.
Oppo sells better than the 2 siblings.

I think the delay and availability are the main issues.
I am not fan of XZ2, but how can I change my mind about it when I cant see the phone?
When I go to any store, there are many models of Apple, Samsung and Motorola.
1 or 2 from Sony or Asus.

How many ppl that want XZ2p will wait until June/July?

I think Sony should be faster like they did to XZ1.
[ This Message was edited by: Moe87 on 2018-04-27 14:37 ]
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 15:42
Moe, I feel your pain. Here in the States Sony phones are available but do not support T-Mobile VoLTE or AT&T VoLTE. Every other phone supports VoLTE on both networks out of the box at a lower price.

I think for the first time in over 15 years I will be buying a non-Sony or phone.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 16:56
@Moe87

The XZ2 is bigger than the XZ1 and so is the XZ2C compared to the XZ1C, so much so that while Compacts have always been fat this has started to move away from being compact. The spirit of the compact was always to be small, powerful, battery king and affordable and this is not the case with the current size and battery. Also, the XZ2 screen to body ratio is around 76% while XZ1 was 69% but the whole device is larger and heavier so as a whole, yeah you get more screen estate but its less pocket-able. I agree with the rest of what you say though. The XZ2P is dead already because they messed up for MWC and their next lot are coming at IFA therefore it will soon be forgotten despite how good it actually is. Even the announcement shouldn't have happened until it was a lot more ready and close to release.

My hope is for the mystery devices, it will have a first for Xperia feature and perhaps even mobile so waiting for that. From speaking to friends, JDI needs money and investment partners to start mass producing their displays so I don't even know if JDI could be an option at the moment unless it produces in low quantities.
Moe87
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2018-04-27 19:20
XZ2c is smaller than iphone 8 ..

Some ppl believe that Sony should not give up on low ends. Like R and L series.

In my country phones with 5" HD/16GB/2GB/13MP still have huge market.
Devices like Sony E5 or Samsung J5.

I read somewhere that the exchange taxes is one reason that makes Sony's situation even harder.
I agree with higher prices for flagships, but not like Apple style.
Here Sony charges same of Samsung and LG for flagships.

But cheaper phones are kinda expensive.
E5 was similar to Moto G4 Play, but price was between G4 and G4+.
There are many options out there.
Regular costumer dont know if E5 has better screen, camera and features than G4p.
They see same 5" HD and 16GB, but G4p was 890,00 while E5 was 1300,00.

Moto G6 costs same of XA1 here.
L1 same price of Q6+ ( 64GB)

Many chinese brands offer phones with old cpu and cheap pieces , then they put 4GB + 64GB and charge $150.
They also earn money with the advertisement that pop up on their phones because the chinese version of UI. Version without Google stuff.
How can LG or Sony deal with this?
[ This Message was edited by: Moe87 on 2018-04-27 18:21 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 262263264 ... 385386387  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic