Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 555657 ... 686970  Next
Author Unveiling Xperia XZ Premium
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-19 19:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
yes the IP68 certification is for fresh water. It is not for salt water. The manual expressly says salt water exposure is bad and should be avoided. Not to mention lots of sand and hot jacuzzi water for who knows how long. the salt probably did some damage for sure and the hot temps of jacuzzi water probably didn't help either.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
DentyCracker
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2017-07-19 19:55
I killed my first Z3 in Negril via the salt water route. Luckily I dried it thoroughly and was able to get it warranty replaced
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-20 01:57
I know, I had been using my phone in hell, but I bought the phone so that I can use it, not to protect it

Anyway, salt water was not the major killer of the phone. I took my z5p to Spa last time (iceland blue lagoon thingy), and connector was oxidized. Had to scrub the minerals off the USB port before I can charge it.
venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-07-20 04:47
Got my XZ Premium! Still setting everything up but I'm so excited
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2017-07-21 01:51

On 2017-07-20 04:47:05, vivftp wrote:
Got my XZ Premium! Still setting everything up but I'm so excited

Congratulations!
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-21 03:32
congrats VIVFTP.. you will absolutely love it!
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-07-21 04:52
Thanks. Admittedly I was hoping to wait and see if the rumors of a new flagship Ultra would turn out to be true, I just couldn't wait any longer. My Z Ultra, after a botched screen repair that messed up the antennas was all but dead after some recent drops.

Fortunately this XZ Premium is pretty much everything I wanted out of my new phone. Absolutely amazing device. My parents have the X Performance, and this just seems to perform so much better overall. I never put much stock in the few complaints people had about this phone like the bezel being too large. It's absolutely perfect for me and my giant thumbs. The loudspeaker performance was a bit worrying before I got it because the Z Ultra is pretty damned quiet (became even quieter after the botched repair) and I was hoping to get decent loudspeaker performance from my new phone. This thing is more than adequate for me.

Other than that, the screen is damned beautiful, performance is snappy as f*ck, I'm SO damned glad to have 64GB to play around with as the Z Ultras 16GB left it crippled to install things. The fingerprint sensor is great. Haven't played around with the camera much, but at this point I'm just glad to have a phone with a flash, lol.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-21 20:58
Glad to hear you're loving it vivFTP. XZP is definitely an all around beauty. It's performance, display, and sound quality are top notch. Though the volume from the speakers may not be as loud as others, I think the quality is better. Not to mention LDAC support for bluetooth streaming.. awesome.

Like you, XZP will probably be my phone for the next 3-4 years.
moogoo
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-07-23 12:59
Hmm, gotta say the phone had me worried yesterday. I was out with friends at a restaurant and was just fiddling with the camera app when I noticed it was stuttering when looking at moving objects. I wasn't recording or taking pictures at this point, just looking at the screen. At one point the image on the screen even froze for a while and I restarted the phone.

The device was slightly warm, but not hot. Dunno what caused that.

Also, most of the time when I am indoors I can't seem to get more than 2 bars of signal strength. Most of the time I get either 1 or 0, but I can still use the net. Maybe I need to take the phone to my carrier to have them configure it?
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-23 15:26
Yes, there is a bug with the camera software, and camera functions has a chance to crash the system.

Btw red is incoming either end of this month or beginning of next
venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2017-07-23 16:53

On 2017-07-23 12:59:04, vivftp wrote:
Hmm, gotta say the phone had me worried yesterday. I was out with friends at a restaurant and was just fiddling with the camera app when I noticed it was stuttering when looking at moving objects. I wasn't recording or taking pictures at this point, just looking at the screen. At one point the image on the screen even froze for a while and I restarted the phone.

The device was slightly warm, but not hot. Dunno what caused that.

Also, most of the time when I am indoors I can't seem to get more than 2 bars of signal strength. Most of the time I get either 1 or 0, but I can still use the net. Maybe I need to take the phone to my carrier to have them configure it?

Disable predictive capture and monitor again. Should be caused by it. My camera froze for a while too when it was activated. I disabled it and now it works fine. Also remember to set your recording to SD card, if not it will record to internal memory if that is what you want.
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-07-23 17:02
OK, disabled predictive capture. A shame though, I kinda liked that feature. Hope it gets fixed
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2017-07-23 19:20
Anyone here owned a S7 Edge or S8 Plus along the XZP, what sort of SOT are you getting versus the Samsungs?

Also in terms of Fast Charging, does it work with Samsung's Adaptive Fast Chargers and Wireless Charging pads?

Lastly, is it easy to use this phone naked, is it slippery or must one get a slim hard case?

EDIT:

One last Q, is there a Display option that allows adjusting the Zoom level of the UI? I love fitting as much content into the display as possible, and greatly appreciate this feature in my samsungs and apple devices. I like to make the font tiny and also zoom the UI out a bit.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2017-07-23 18:24 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2017-07-23 21:23
vivftp - i have not had that issue with my camera and i use it fairly often. my predictive capture is enabled. as for the bars, i have gotten 1 or 0 bars in most places. sometimes it will get to 4, but usually it's in the 0-1 range, but for some reason I have never had issues with signal. the 0-1 range is for 4G but when it hits H+ it will be 4-5. again, even if it's at 0 bars 4G, i'll still have great speeds as if it were 4 bars or something. I wouldn't worry about it unless you were experiencing slow speeds or dropped calls. i have even had video calls with 0 bars and it works flawlessly.

tsepz - i don't own an S7edge or s8 but as far as screen on time on my XZP, i honestly don't keep track of it. I will peek at it once in awhile but it's not something i constantly monitor. That being said, recently I did check it and had around 5 hours and 20 minutes of screen on time with about 32% battery left. I think this stat varies greatly based on what I'm actually doing on the phone though.

XZP uses QC 3.0. It doesn't have wireless charging and most likely won't work with samsung's adaptive charging.

Using the phone naked is fine. It actually feels amazing in the hand. It is glass and it is glossy. I would imagine it's as slippery as any other glass covered phone. When I was using it naked while waiting for my case, I did not feel like it was going to fall out of my hand at any time.

There is no zoom level setting for the UI. You can change the size of icons and text in addition to how many icons in a full grid up to 5x5. I've never seen what the zoom UI feature of samsung/apple devices do, but i would imagine it's similar to what you can achieve playing with these settings. Although, i have to admit I wish I was able to shrink the icons and texts even smaller than the smallest setting.
moogoo
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2017-07-23 21:39
moogoo, yeah for the most part the signal is strong enough to browse the web an whatnot, but if I want to do more bandwith intensive things then it gets iffy.

For example last night I ran a speed test while at a friends house on the main floor of their house, and got about 33 mbps download speeds. I just ran one while in my basement, and I'm getting 4.5 mbps. I know signal quality will vary if you're underground and all, but that's a pretty damned huge jump. I haven't run a test while outside to compare against yet.

Additionally I have come across poor call quality while out and about. While I was driving just now the person I was talking to reported the line sounded choppy. And when I just went into a Costco, the person I was speaking to reported it was breaking up.

So yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is. This is why I was hoping to pick up the phone directly from my carrier as it would come pre-loaded with everything setup, but for some reason Canada is low on Sony's priority list. Well, I'll take it into my carrier sometime in the coming days and see if they can set it up better for their network.

On the subject of UI size and all, I think you can just download Nova launcher and customize things to your hearts content. Here is a video where a guy shows some customization options on the XZ Premium with Nova launcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Oe8oi1bMo
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 555657 ... 686970  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic