Previous  123 ... 798081 ... 122123124  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2016
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 17:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2016-07-24 16:32:11, motvikt wrote:
The real cost is not the soc itself but the modem. Qualcomm doesn't just sell the soc, they sell the complete package. Modem and cpu in the same soc, they also handle patents and have good relations with carriers (that must certify the modem for their network) and authorities etc. Qualcomm is a modem company first and foremost.

Say Sony wants their own soc. They pay AMD or IBM x billions and get a competitive cpu. Now they must also develop or buy a competitive modem. Developing it will cost billions and require hundred of patents so that will never happen. They must buy it. That leaves Qualcomm and Intel which has modems to sell. Qualcomm is a lot better so perhaps they will choose Qualcomm anyway. They pay Qualcomm 60$ for their modem and now has a phone with their own soc and EXTERNAL modem which takes more space and draws more battery. They also spent several billions on a soc with no modem. Divide that cost with devices sold, 5-10M? (Flagships) The cost will be huuuuge.

Instead they can just buy the complete package from Qualcomm for ~80$ and be done with it. Which is why they will always choose Qualcomm.

Indeed, that is the key selling point for Qualcomm SoCs, the Modem, with all the "red tape" around that industry, its hard for competitors to get into this.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
hello1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 18:12

The real cost is not the soc itself but the modem. Qualcomm doesn't just sell the soc, they sell the complete package. Modem and cpu in the same soc, they also handle patents and have good relations with carriers (that must certify the modem for their network) and authorities etc. Qualcomm is a modem company first and foremost.

Say Sony wants their own soc. They pay AMD or IBM x billions and get a competitive cpu. Now they must also develop or buy a competitive modem. Developing it will cost billions and require hundred of patents so that will never happen. They must buy it. That leaves Qualcomm and Intel which has modems to sell. Qualcomm is a lot better so perhaps they will choose Qualcomm anyway. They pay Qualcomm 60$ for their modem and now has a phone with their own soc and EXTERNAL modem which takes more space and draws more battery. They also spent several billions on a soc with no modem. Divide that cost with devices sold, 5-10M? (Flagships) The cost will be huuuuge.

Instead they can just buy the complete package from Qualcomm for ~80$ and be done with it. Which is why they will always choose Qualcomm.

You that Samsung copy qualcom technologie in the past and later qualcom sues Samsung and later Qualcom gif it up to let Samsung buy out their patent.

Not only with Qualcom but also with the biggest RAM maker has the same problems with Samsung that Samsung copy their patent and later Samsung buy them out.

And many more like Ericsson, Nokia, nvidia enz: are victims by Samsung patent violation and Samsung always walk away without any penalty.

Apple the only one who do not bow for Samsung.
Samsung is a evil doing company, never ï want to do with that evil company that steal from others.
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 19:21

I thought the high end sells for ~$200 per unit/package?
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-07-24 23:24

I thought the high end sells for ~$200 per unit/package?

Nope, $200 might be the BOM for a top mid range to an entry high-end phone...

820 might cost $60

Here's an old BOM for an old phone lumia 900 which has a single core soc with separate modem, both cost $55, while Galaxy S2 dual core and a modem both cost $64.. and that was a high end SoC at its times...

https://technology.ihs.com/40[....]rries-bill-of-materials-of-209
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 13:48
http://www.njuskalo.hr/sony-x[....]tavljen-zamjena-oglas-19740280

Our mystery device which looks smaller than the original leaks. Quite handsome actually.
[ This Message was edited by: badassmam on 2016-07-25 12:49 ]
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 13:52
These new leaked pics really shows how a bad picture can make a good design looks ugly like the older leak

but these top and bottom bezels are really huge, disturbing the overall design beauty.. but it's really look like a prototype ( Top flat frame is not well aligned with the rest of the body )

nikola1970
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 14:10
The guy from the source link is actually selling the device. He posted spec there as well lol...
He says that the phohe has metal frame and it is not slippy.
3gb of RAM
23mpx rear and 12 mpx front cam
[ This Message was edited by: nikola1970 on 2016-07-25 13:16 ]
Archdragoon
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 14:28

On 2016-07-25 14:10:39, nikola1970 wrote:
The guy from the source link is actually selling the device. He posted spec there as well lol...
He says that the phohe has metal frame and it is not slippy.
3gb of RAM
23mpx rear and 12 mpx front cam
[ This Message was edited by: nikola1970 on 2016-07-25 13:16 ]

SONY staff in Thailand told me the new model have 4GB RAM.

I don't know who told the truth but just 1GB differential is not really a big different for my daily usage.

Waiting to know what is new in it camera...
Device : Xperia 1 II
Headphone : MDR-M1ST + MUC-S12SB1, ATH-DSR9BT, WH-1000XM4
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-07-25 15:36
I think something is not right with this, how did he get the device, why is he selling it? If he does surely he is handling stolen goods just like last year when one of the Xperia C prototype devices went on sale in South America and the bloke was prosecuted. It's not as if police won't be able to find out who he is considering he's left ways to get in touch with him via social media.

One thing this could be is a scrapped prototype that went missing, remember the old Sony Ericsson windows devices that ended up on EBay a few years back? Could be something very similar to that. That would also explain why the device doesn't look finished too.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
tk007
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 17:35
those two flash looks different to each other....interesting
nikola1970
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 18:06
Two tone flash.
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-07-25 19:23
XperiaBlog expect the new flagship to have a 5.2" display and a 13mp selfie cam so either the phone we've seen is an early prototype or his info about it is wrong.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 19:46
The finger print reader is moving to the center of the lower bezel. It will be integrated into the glass.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2016-07-25 21:07
what's your source Dacha?

So basically it will be in the same place as Apple's? While this lets them do thinner bezels on the sides, it is less convenient cause it's more natural that your fingertips will be on the side and unlocking can be done with one hand. so that does make me a little sad, but definitely not a deal breaker.

i think what that guy is trying to sell is an early prototype. specs seems a bit off and I really don't think Sony would let someone sell off a device that's near finished months before they even announce it. I mean, I don't think Sony would swat team him like Apple does, but they wouldn't just sit back and watch (at least I don't think).

Guess we'll know in a month+..
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2016-07-25 21:38
I agree. However, by doing this it would replace the physical sensor button with an electronic one, meaning less space taken up by tech. Didn't Sony patent this a couple of years ago?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 798081 ... 122123124  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic