Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Considering Exiting The Mobile Phone Business ?

Previous  12
Author Sony Considering Exiting The Mobile Phone Business ?
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-02-24 11:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony aims to generate a combined EBIT of JPY247bn from the device, game and entertainment businesses in the financial year ending 31 March 2015 (FYE15). Struggling operations, such as TVs and mobile phones, if they remain within the group, will still have the potential to drag down overall profitability because they face intense competition from Korean and Chinese manufacturers and unfavourable exchange rate impacts. Nevertheless, Sony is separating its various electronics businesses to increase accountability and autonomy, and may consider selling or finding partners for struggling units, though management did not provide any specific timeframe for exiting the unprofitable businesses.

http://www.reuters.com/articl[....]/idUSFit91507720150224?rpc=401

... correct me if Im wrong. From how I understand that, if Sony finds a 'partner' to help it with its 'struggling units'... then they wont exit the mobile phone business?

cheers!

..function cant coffee without in the morning.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-02-24 17:23
From what I'm understanding, he wants to each vertical to become more accountable and they're considering spinning off those that can't stand on their own two feet.

They are only considering spinning off Xperia and this might have been said in order to appease their shareholders. No timeframe has been given. However, if they can keep a decent profit margin and focus on high end phones this might work.

The Z series seems to be striking a cord and selling well. Anything below the Z series is up against Xiaomi which will take no prisoners in it's rise to the top.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2015-02-24 16:24 ]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2015-02-24 19:14
http://www.forbes.com/sites/e[....]rrender-abandoning-the-xperia/
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-02-24 19:16
According to the latest IDC figures for Europe Sony's shipments increased, even though the market shrunk overall making it the fourth biggest vendor in Europe, behind a contracting Microsoft.

If only they could repeat this stateside, it might be a different story.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2015-02-24 18:19 ]
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2015-02-25 07:41
Goodbye Sony mobile: here's why Xperia is facing extinction

Robert Zak
6 days ago

Sony is aiming to be 25 times more profitable by 2018, and a key part of that strategy could be to drop out of the smartphone game - leaving the Xperia family to seek a new home.

Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai predicts $4.2 billion growth for Sony within the next three years, saying that this will be driven by the company's strong-selling games division (led by the PlayStation 4) and cameras. When asked whether TVs and smartphones figured in this plan in a recent interview with Reuters, Hirai said Sony "would not rule out considering an exit strategy" for these divisions - the biggest hint yet that Sony Xperia could be no more.

This isn't the first time Sony has hinted it could sell off the Xperia family, with company officials saying in January that "no business is forever" when discussing the future of its mobile division. Sony has just reported its sixth net loss in seven years, and this has largely been attributed to its unprofitable smartphone division.

Sony's Xperia brand has always been in the shadow of smartphone industry leaders like Samsung and Apple, but is now facing even more pressure from high-quality, low-cost devices from growing Chinese manufacturers, OnePlus and Xiaomi.

There have been no suggestions yet as to who would swoop in to buy the Xperia brand if Sony were to pull out. But considering the critical success of devices such as the Xperia Z3 and the Xperia Z3 Compact - both of which we gave 5-star reviews - we expect there to be several companies out there who will see value in these solid devices.

http://www.androidpit.com/xpe[....]le-sony-could-quit-smartphones

Why Sony is exiting smartphone business

Sony's decision to no longer pursue sales growth in competitive smartphone business has left many disappointed. But, didn't it seem inevitable as their phones never got the traction like Samsung phones.

According to the company CEO Kazuo Hirai, Sony is no longer pursuing sales growth in highly competitive areas such as smartphones, but aims for 25-fold profit within three years from camera sensors and PlayStation gaming business. "The strategy starting from the next business year will be about generating profit and investing for growth," said Hirai, while not ruling out “considering an exit strategy”.

Sony's exit from the smartphone business will certainly leave a huge gap in the mobile phone industry, which has of late gotten more competitive, especially in terms of price. Back in India, Sony continued to face strong competition from the Korean giant Samsung, and then local brands such as Micromax and Karbonn. Entry of Chinese brands such as Xiaomi only made it tougher for Sony.

http://www.digit.in/mobile-ph[....]smartphone-business-25334.html

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2015-02-25 06:42 ]
..function cant coffee without in the morning.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2015-02-25 08:09
Well this wouldn't and doesn't totally surprise me if it happens.

Sony haven't made any phone worth really talking about since the 1st Z and the Z4 seems to be a Z3 with a S810 chip and not much else and Lollipop seems to still not be out for any of Sony's phones if I'm not mistaken? Its a tough market for them, competitors at every corner, many of them having a ton of resources and aggressive marketing.

Apple, Samsung and LG are pushing hard and you now have Motorola with the backing of Lenovo expanding into more regions once again, there is HTC who seem to be doing nicely in a niche that Sony could have had and finally there is Huawei who seem to want to be the next Samsung, it all seems a bit much for Sony.

I wish them luck, but I won't miss them if they do exit, I miss what Sony Ericsson was.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2015-03-03 19:59
Sony: Mobile division is not being sold
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2016-03-24 12:06

On 2015-01-14 02:47:34, moogoo wrote:
i would be devastated!!!!

if this happens.. i'd probably just get google nexus devices. sigh. would be a very very sad day.

what else does sony even make now? just audio stuff?

I made the jump to Nexus and proper android two years ago (Phone and tablet) never looked back, fast devices sensible pricing and no manufacturer bloatware. I have never rated Sony as a sw developer every Sony camera/ movie camera i ever owned came with dreadful untested memory hogging sw. Sony's original android phone UI was full of fancy tricks and was all about form rather than function the problem was it did not work! They destroyed Symbian with a lack of quality development and poor testing ( I owned an example of the P series) Maybe things have improved but it would take a lot to get me to risk my money buying Sony ever again.
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi