Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Sony Xperia Rumors 2015

Previous  123 ... 307308309 ... 315316317  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumors 2015
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 13:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This is the worst year to buy a sony device, actually almost any device but the note 5 or s6. After watching reviews and comparing to other flags there is no reason to buy any z5 device, maybe only z5c for people who wants something compact only because it has no rivals. My next phone is probably the note 5 64 gb which is overall the most competitive and powerful flagship on the market (with its flaws). Sony must be joking hard on me if they think that i will spend my precious 1000$ on z5 premium (z5 is not different), overall inferior and overpriced device to note 5 and v10 as well. The problem with sonymobile is that they don't strive for perfection because they are in a survival mode and might bleed to death not far from now. I hope not. It must start with their management down to the programmers, qa, marketing, etc. They are just not competitive enough and did not improved enough with the z5 devices. They are in a weak position. I may give sony a chance a year from now if they reveal the next premium if with the next one they strive for perfection, improve their qa, not damaged by qualcomm s820, not cut corners on base premium spec which in 2015 is 4gb of ram not 3 and the 4k panel is not an excuse, add ois to the camera, drastically reduce noise especially in low light shots to be competitive low light shots, drastically improve their quality control and more as people who bought z5 and z5c got defected rear camera hardware that produce blurry shots. I love the true to life colors, 1080p video with steadyshot and the daylight shots that z5 camera produce but it is just not enough for the price and against note 5. Every phone can shoot decent in daylight, big deal! Low light is where the money is at and they are noisy, grainy. Sure, some people can buy a z5 devices and be happy with it but for someone like me that is buying one and only phone for the next 4 years and looking for overall the best and most balanced flag? It is without a doubt the note 5 no matter how you look at it. Hopefully at ifa 2016 with the next devices sony will start a new page, go out of their survival mode to a highly competitive mode.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-11-08 12:58 ]
penguino
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 14:36
Z5 takes pretty mediocre photos in daylight as well. Colors, white balance etc. are ok but there's still hell a lot of noise, overall quality is good at most and that's not enough in a flagship. They need OIS or sensor-shift stabilization, fast. They need to work on their displays as well, they're waaay to cool (unlike in other phones, Xperias have different IPS displays where backlight panels emit blue light, not white), visible digitizer doesn't help. Limited avability on many markets won't help if they want to increase sales. And most of all - they need to change the design. Even though Z5 looks elegant and mature, Omnibalance also looks old, squareish shape makes bezels look bigger than they really are, overal it's not very appealing anymore, especially compared to the competition.

Right now on many markets Z5 costs basically as much as S6 edge. Imagine comparing them side by side in your hand. Who would pick Z5?

On 2015-11-08 05:42:38, Gitaroo wrote:
new kirin 950 just cracked 62000 antutu score, Z5 and H2 s810 devices can already achieve 60000ish score. So they are still playing catch up next year, but far better than where they were now.

Kirin 950 scored 82000, that' quite a bit more. They're struggling with GPU but noone seem to care about it.
[ This Message was edited by: penguino on 2015-11-08 13:38 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 14:45
The Z5's pictures are very, very good when you use the 8mp oversampled mode. 23mp mode will have noise - this is just fact.

Beyond that this year is terrible for smartphones in general anyway.
Ya'll are talking about the Note 5. Guess what, here in the UK and Europe we can't actually buy a goddamn Note 5...
So what do we do? I don't want an S6 Edge (+) nor do I want an iPhone. The Z5 looks amazing, has a great camera (when you use 8mp) but has a terrible SoC.

I don't want a Nexus. The 5X is adequate, the 6P is too goddamn big.
Literally nothing. 2016 better be good.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2015-11-08 13:47 ]
Jamzy
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 15:13
Yes this years terrible but unfortunately Sony are stuck in their old ways...
Bezels ugh, the phone is LONG for its size.
Price is NOWHERE near worth it, I can get the S6 for much cheaper. I would but the batterys poor sadly.
Camera's still very hit and miss, instead of putting proper focus Sony would rather join the megapixel race meanwhile competitors are now opting for 12MP with large pixels. Samsung are said to doing a custom 1/2" 12MP sensor for S7.

I think I may try and get the S7 or M10 if it has a better camera and design, which I think it will since they got absoluted destroyed by media this year.
I kinda need a new phone this year but Im going to try and wait unless Z5 gets a big price cut.
[ This Message was edited by: Jamzy on 2015-11-08 14:15 ]
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 15:28
@penguino
Who would pick z5?
Sony fans who will buy everything regardless of price and competition, people that their money grows on their backyard trees, people who driven to sonymobile from other sony divisions, people who lives on sony nostalgia, people who don't compare and buy based on design alone. These people are a minority because of the reasons i mentioned.
I think that sony knows that z5 devices won't take them anywhere but they hope that somehow z5 devices will make them bleed less money. That is their most optimistic view forecast.
@XYZ
I've seen all the comparisons, regardless if you shoot in 8mp or not, Note 5, v10 and 6s plus cameras have overall better cameras for photos and videos. Moreover, Low light is the real deal. I'll go further to say that comparisons need to start and end in low light photos and videos. It will save the reviewers time in making the article or youtube video. What do you do in the uk? Wait for note 5 to arrive to stores, import it from other country or don't buy anything. Why spend money on overpriced half baked device?
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-11-08 14:30 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 15:43

@XYZ
I've seen all the comparisons, regardless if you shoot in 8mp or not, Note 5, v10 and 6s plus cameras have overall better cameras for photos and videos. Moreover, Low light is the real deal. I'll go further to say that comparisons need to start and end in low light photos and videos. It will save the reviewers time in making the article or youtube video. What do you do in the uk? Wait for note 5 to arrive to stores, import it from other country or don't buy anything. Why spend money on overpriced half baked device?

What am doing and planning on doing, is nothing. There isn't anything that's worth my money. Importing stuff into the UK is catastrophically expensive. Import duty tax ruins us.

Why should I be settling for anything that doesn't meet my demands. Samsung has phenomenal hardware - design is iffy but its no longer bad, but their software is terrible. I'd love an LG V10 if it didn't cost the earth and didn't have LG's ridiculous software. Nexus devices aren't worth the money IMO. No smartphone aside from Sony smartphones have good battery life, but they are thoroughly mediocre in other aspects.

iPhones are iPhones. They're good, but I don't want one - hate iTunes and how Apple are trying to eliminate google services despite them being objectively better.

Not a single phone that has just enough of what I need. The closest is the Note 5, but Samsung don't want my money so f**k 'em. The Z5/Z5 compact are close to just about good enough (I have an RX100 as a camera which I carry around most of the time so....), but they're expensive for what they are.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2015-11-08 14:43 ]
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-11-08 16:10
In regard to design, we talk here a lot about design but in a matter of fact, design is the last thing that needs improvement in z5 devices. Quite the opposite, z5 design IS the only thing that is unique despite the aging ob. A change in design could make it worthy to some and could be a good decision but the current design is not why z5 devices are not competitive and overpriced and a new design won't bring meaningful sales to sony. In other words, even if sony would make the coolest design ever for the z5 devices it will not make so much more people buy it or make it competitive and not overpriced. That is obvious because design is just one part of the puzzle.
@-XYZ
I see but unlike in the uk in my country samsung devices are always shipping fast after they announce them and note 5 is not different. I'm waiting for a new shipment of note 5 in 64gb to arrive to samsung stores. They are out of stock. I might wait for the end of the year for some price drop.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-11-09 06:16
Saw the review of z5p over at the other topic, the design and finishes alone win me over everything else. Never seen any phone as classy as the chrome erosion, makes iPhone 6s+ looks like cheap toy. I lost interest in galaxy s line a long time ago, edge curve screen were meh. I used to think note a lot with the stylus and big screen, but while I use the note I barely ever use the stylus. And now that z5p screen is 5.5" that's basically no reason for me to get a note.
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-11-09 09:48
@Gitaroo
I agree that the only real selling point about z5p is the design. The bottom line that is discussed here is that sony's flagships are not competitive and overpriced with not real strive for perfection. Sony is just releasing new flags for the sake of survival and it is easy to see. 3gb ram suits a first half of 2014 flag not a front line so called "premium" second half of 2015 flag, camera is half baked and overall inferior - lets say no more, already mentioned above. Ips display as z5 has is becoming inferior with samsung latest amoleds of s6 and note 5 that display improved color tones and the grainy pentile matrix is not really noticeable anymore. No wonder that there is a rumor that iphone 7 will have amoled display. On top of that, qualcomm made s810 that heats frequently, throttle more and in certain tasks become very hot to the touch more then any other qualcomm processor and exynos and the heat pipes only help to a point. Z5 battery, ui smoothness and speediness are worse then z3. Add to that the terrible quality control of some imx300 units that produce blurry shots in the brand new z5 devices to sum up the "premium" package. God damn, at least they could have include a qfc 2.0 charger in the package but they even cut corners on that. If you are fine with all that and willing to pay a premium price then good for you as long as you are happy.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-11-09 08:56 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-11-09 11:11
The 4K screen isn't a selling point for the Z5 Premium?

I just got mine today and it is a mightily impressive screen. I didn't realise that 1080p could be improved upon in real terms, but it really does make a difference. Only downfall is that 4K is only turned on in the proprietary media apps, 3rd party apps are left to the wilderness unless they specifically build for 4K compatibility.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Jamzy
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2015-11-09 11:13

On 2015-11-08 15:43:02, -XYZ wrote:

@XYZ

What am doing and planning on doing, is nothing. There isn't anything that's worth my money. Importing stuff into the UK is catastrophically expensive. Import duty tax ruins us.

Why should I be settling for anything that doesn't meet my demands. Samsung has phenomenal hardware - design is iffy but its no longer bad, but their software is terrible. I'd love an LG V10 if it didn't cost the earth and didn't have LG's ridiculous software. Nexus devices aren't worth the money IMO. No smartphone aside from Sony smartphones have good battery life, but they are thoroughly mediocre in other aspects.

iPhones are iPhones. They're good, but I don't want one - hate iTunes and how Apple are trying to eliminate google services despite them being objectively better.

Not a single phone that has just enough of what I need. The closest is the Note 5, but Samsung don't want my money so f**k 'em. The Z5/Z5 compact are close to just about good enough (I have an RX100 as a camera which I carry around most of the time so....), but they're expensive for what they are.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2015-11-08 14:43 ]

I know people that have got their Note5 imported for around £470, but obviously thats the base model

Or you can go on Ebay and get one new from people who have bulked imported.

On 2015-11-09 09:48:15, amirprog wrote:
@Gitaroo
I agree that the only real selling point about z5p is the design. The bottom line that is discussed here is that sony's flagships are not competitive and overpriced with not real strive for perfection. Sony is just releasing new flags for the sake of survival and it is easy to see. 3gb ram suits a first half of 2014 flag not a front line so called "premium" second half of 2015 flag, camera is half baked and overall inferior - lets say no more, already mentioned above. Ips display as z5 has is becoming inferior with samsung latest amoleds of s6 and note 5 that display improved color tones and the grainy pentile matrix is not really noticeable anymore. No wonder that there is a rumor that iphone 7 will have amoled display. On top of that, qualcomm made s810 that heats frequently, throttle more and in certain tasks become very hot to the touch more then any other qualcomm processor and exynos and the heat pipes only help to a point. Z5 battery, ui smoothness and speediness are worse then z3. Add to that the terrible quality control of some imx300 units that produce blurry shots in the brand new z5 devices to sum up the "premium" package. God damn, at least they could have include a qfc 2.0 charger in the package but they even cut corners on that. If you are fine with all that and willing to pay a premium price then good for you as long as you are happy.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-11-09 08:56 ]

This annoyed me too.

Sony want you to pay a high price but cant include BASIC fast chargers?
When cheaper phones have included them in the box.

Sony have no direction and its clear they dont care for their customers.
[ This Message was edited by: Jamzy on 2015-11-09 10:19 ]
nodarsixar
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-11-09 12:05
Xperia Z5 Premium=THE BEST SMARTPHONE
NO
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2015-11-09 12:21
@Ricky D
It is hard to call the so called "4k display" a selling point because it is inferior to 2k res display which is always on in all modes. Z5p display might have been better if they made the rest of the modes in a basic 2k res. There is no logic in increasing the res to 4k but dumbing the res down to fhd in almost all modes. We are in 2015 and now 2k is the basic res and battery life should not be an issue anymore with 2k display and z5 has a respectable 3430mah but NO, they used a "4k display" mostly to gain media buzz while in most cases the res is fhd which debuted 4 years ago? This is irritating. Lets keep it real.
@Jamzy
Sony is living in la la land.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2015-11-09 11:21 ]
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2015-11-09 13:36
So much negativity from people who don't have the device nor seen them. Note 5 has been out a while and the Z5P will come down to a similar level soon, they want to make the most of charging at that price at launch. Note 5 isn't available in the UK so its not even a competitor in my eyes. 4K screen justifies the price or do people expect it to come free in their cornflakes?

By scanning numerous reviews it seems like the camera on the Z5 is the best. It performs excellently in every other department too only losing out to Exynos in benchmarks. What more do people want? I think people want it to be top in every single category....and be cheap and have no bezels and have a 90 day battery whilst being 2mm thick and be carved from a single piece of adamantium with lava proofing.

You can definitely see the difference in pixel density between anything and the Z5P. OLED screens have better contrast but images on the Z5P are sensational. After an eyes on test, anyone who disagrees is a troll.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2015-11-09 14:16
@amirprog

I've had my own Z5 Premium here in my hands for 10 hours. In that short space of time I can tell you that it is markedly better ANY other screen I have seen on a similar sized device. Even my wife (not anything close to a techie) said she feels like the objects in the photos 'are right in front of her face'.

Do I think 4K is a valid selling point? Yes I bloody do! And I think it outweighs other so called 'negatives' such as a slightly longer body (1mm longer than Note 5, same length as S6 edge+, seriously).

As for including fast chargers, fast charging in such a way actually shortens the usability of the battery. The battery lasts for more than a day even with heavy use and most people charge their handsets overnight anyway. What you're effectively asking Sony to do is shorten the life of their products for a minority who don't want to fork out a tenner for an emergency use charger. The included charger is a 1.8A charger by the way. No slouch under normal circumstances.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 307308309 ... 315316317  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic