Author Apple iPhone 6 Plus Announced
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-08 23:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-10-08 15:45:05, aussieland1 wrote:
Are you now saying that Apple would refuse to exchange it? Wow

Nope, I aint saying that... think you maybe misread my post?
I said that IF I had a bent iPhone 6 (and that's a big IF), and apple refuses to excahnge it... then yeah, I'd be monumentally pissed!

Exchanging phones with Apple has never been a smooth process... like I mentioned above in my posts, you have to prove that it wasn't abused.... Or that they will replace it BUT you have to wait a long time.
Sure, not every store is like this... and its usually on a case to case basis. But nevertheless its never that easy...especially if you're past the return period.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of "forgiving" apple... I wonder how this person feels right now.

Apple fan who mocked ‘Bendgate’ finds that his iPhone 6 Plus bent during regular use
http://bgr.com/2014/10/08/iph[....]+%28BGR+|+Boy+Genius+Report%29

here's the pic he posted;

here's a quote:
There’s a real question about whether or not bent iPhone 6 Plus models are actually a common occurrence but there’s no doubt that some models do seem to be bending for users under regular use. Over on Reddit, one iPhone 6 Plus owner has posted pictures of his iPhone 6 Plus (see above), which he says bent even though he “babied” it and placed it in a sturdy leather case.

14 days ago he said this:
Wow. You people are worrying and canceling orders already! There's been like 4 posts on the internet of dubious quality and everybody is acting like this is a epidemic! Relax people!

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2014-10-10 22:01 ]
..function cant coffee without in the morning.
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-09 14:07
and the stories keep on coming.
here's another one also posted reddit: (of an iPhone 6 and not a 6+)

My iPhone 6 Bent. What Now? (self.iphone)
submitted 3 days ago * by rhyno37
I'll admit it, I was a denier. I believed that the only phones bending were the + and from being put in a back pocket. Well yesterday I noticed my 6 was bent. Pictures. I've had it not even a week, and have babied it. It was kept in a case. I also don't wear skinny jeans, just normal. I keep my phone screen in, yet it bent outwards. Also note from the picture that it bent on the volume side not the power button, showing that its a weak point.
I don't know what to do. Obviously I can get an exchange (Bought from Verizon), but do I want that? This is a wider spread problem than Apple or anyone is making it seem, so I don't want to keep going through replacements. I'm pretty disappointed in Apple.
At this point I'm tempted to get an android, maybe a Moto X2 or HTC One M8. This is just unacceptable and I don't see it being fixed. What would y'all do?
EDIT: Note that I don't have an Apple store within 3hrs. No way I'm driving that far.

link:
My iPhone 6 Bent. What Now?
http://www.reddit.com/r/iphon[....]4zr/my_iphone_6_bent_what_now/

I have an interesting story though... just a rumor, so just take this with a grain of salt.
A friend just came back from Hongkong, after talking to a lot of stores there, he found out that the reason why most iPhones are delayed in China at the moment... is that Apple is redoing all the phones! The stores have said that "they" are reinforcing it because of the bending, and they're doing it as quietly as possible. This "new" batch should be out in December. So I guess if you buy a 6 or 6+ during the holidays... it would be the "stronger" phone.
Again, let me repeat it, I have no evidence of this... its just hearsay.

cheers!

aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-10-09 15:13

On 2014-10-08 23:27:55, difenbaker wrote:

Nope, I aint saying that... think you maybe misread my post?
I said that IF I had a bent iPhone 6 (and that's a big IF), and apple refuses to excahnge it... then yeah, I'd be monumentally pissed!
Exchanging phones with Apple has never been a smooth process... like I mentioned above in my posts, you have to prove that it wasn't abused.... Or that they will replace it BUT you have to wait a long time.
Sure, not every store is like this... and its usually on a case to case basis. But nevertheless its never that easy...especially if you're past the return period.

Well if you are not saying that you are projecting your experience then- swapping handsets from Apple has been nothing but smooth with people that I know

And I am just curious how many more posts about iPhone bending do we need ? Surely there's more to this phone than the bending .

I have to say I never pictured you as someone that hates Apple that much - I thought Brightspark was the only one but I guess I was wrong
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-10-09 14:15 ]
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-09 18:14
hi there aussie,

If only there was a way you and I could visit an Apple Store together... then I can show you first hand what store managers/personnel tell you when you turn in a phone for exchanging. Sigh.. Anyway, like I said, NOT all stores are the same.

I dont really hate Apple, per se'... in fact, aside from my iphones, I have 2 ipads and an itouch as well. I like using their products - WHEN IT WORKS as it should. But using their products does NOT mean that Im blind to what they're doing... or I should just ignore how stupid they think their customers are.

As I explained in one of my posts above, I certainly dont like being treated like a 10 yr old everytime they say "an excuse" or some form of explanation - to dispel whatever issue their phones seem to have. It really is obvious that there's an issue of bending, and yet all they say is that "9 people reported it" and "we tested our phones"? To a 10 yr old, that excuse will probably work... but for an adult who just payed for an expensive phone, did they really think adults will fall for that?

If you remember our MR days, I have always doubted whatever they say at their keynotes, why? Because its all just marketing bs. Im always last. Im the one who will wait for reviews, teardowns, reputable benchmarks, real-life tests,,, before deciding if I like something. Unlike the people who would line up outside apple stores - I dont really mind if Im not first. Yeah, Id agree with that... bspark was never an iphone fan, but the difference between us I guess, is that sometimes I am!

Lighten up m8.. dont take things personally, I aint got nothing against users (coz Im one as well)... if you read my posts, my beef has always been with the phones... and the stupid excuses given by their makers.

cheers!

ps. if the rumor I posted about it is true... then the bending stories will be gone by next year.

here's another excuse:
we should not be using our hands to bend stuff...

Foxconn exec on iPhone 6: You're BENDING it WRONG
http://www.theregister.co.uk/[....]one_6_bendgate_is_just_gossip/
http://www.networkworld.com/a[....]gate-on-rivals.html#tk.rss_all

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2014-10-09 17:29 ]
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-10-09 20:18
difenbaker

It is obvious that your agenda is with the company. My question is why do you buy their products/ if indeed you are? I never see you saying anything good about them surely you should buy things that bring you pleasure? And why keep posting the bending thing over and over ? can you not at least edit some of your posts? And just out of curiosity - you keep saying you don't want Apple to take you for a fool but you also said you are not interested in this phone anyway. I in the other hand am and would like to see something else but the bending issue

And speaking about distortion all the foxin guy said why are people so keen on bending their phones which I totally get. It has been proven that if enough force is applied the phone will bend/ what else is there to prove? I don't see where you got that he is blaming the users

One thing I do know though- the phone won't bend by itself. And I know this because a few people I already know didn't have their phones bender. But obviously you are ignoring that

difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-09 21:35
On 2014-10-09 20:18:53, aussieland1 wrote:
difenbaker

It is obvious that your agenda is with the company. My question is why do you buy their products/ if indeed you are? I never see you saying anything good about them surely you should buy things that bring you pleasure? And why keep posting the bending thing over and over ? can you not at least edit some of your posts? And just out of curiosity - you keep saying you don't want Apple to take you for a fool but you also said you are not interested in this phone anyway. I in the other hand am and would like to see something else but the bending issue

That's exactly it... I really was interested in buying the phone. I often asked myself, seeing all the rumors (some I posted here)... if this can actually replace my N3. If you see my previous post about the N4... I was interested on how it would stack up against the 6 (which was about to be announced back then).

I guess I got disappointed because I expected a lot from Apple. I thought they were OVER that concept of releasing products half-baked then correcting them later in next versions. The 4 was corrected with the 4s, the 5 with the 5s, the iPad 3 with the iPad 4, etc... First releases tend to be buggy or lacking (as I've noticed with both phone and the OS). I expected Apple to do better this time, since I thought, all those disasters from the past was behind them. Learning from mistakes and all that. Clearly, they haven't... and worse, they're back to their old tricks again... of shifting the blame to someone or something else.

And speaking about distortion all the foxin guy said why are people so keen on bending their phones which I totally get. It has been proven that if enough force is applied the phone will bend/ what else is there to prove? I don't see where you got that he is blaming the users

Are you pertaining to the guy from Foxconn? That article said that:
"Hands are made* to shake hands, not for bending,” he advised.

Dont you find that ridiculous... who is this guy to tell us how and where to use our hands?
Here's another quote:
CEO Terry Gou maintains that people need to stop trying to bend their phones, and said claims that the phones were bendy were simply (pardon the pun) "distortions".

So you see... It was heavily implied that the people are bending the phone - he would of course never admit that the phone has a design flaw that allows people to bend it easily, right?

On 2014-10-09 20:18:53, aussieland1 wrote:
One thing I do know though- the phone won't bend by itself. And I know this because a few people I already know didn't have their phones bender. But obviously you are ignoring that

Yes, of course, it doesn't bend by itself - I aint ignoring that, I mean NO PHONE would bend by itself. There has to be some kind of force behind it for it to react like that. Some put in their pockets, some leave it charging and it heats up, some say that they outright "babied it and put it in a case" and yet it still bent. Whatever the cause... for me, it just means that there IS a very real problem with the phone.

Good that you know people with unbent phones...I know those too, but I also know of around 4 already with bent phones.... and just how bad they're feeling right now.

cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2014-10-09 20:43 ]
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-10-09 22:23
Sorry but claims that the phone overheated while charging and then it bent are ridiculous and same goes with the claim that it was babied and kept in a case and yet it still bent. Obviously it is your right to believe it but I think it is outright crap and certainly not representative for the iphone 6 plus in general. If enough force is applied and in a certain place it was proven that the phone will bent - there is no dispute about that but the rest is just hearsay and if this what you base your theory that there is a real problem then I am feeling confident about the 6 plus.

And about what the CEO from Fixconn said it is obvious he meant stop bending the phone on purpose - it is by no means blaming the customers in general but the ones that are recording themselves bending the phone and then posting that video online . I fail to see where is Apple blaiming customers in regards to the bending issue though ?

And about hate whole iPhone corrected by the next generation - well iphone 5 scuffing problem was corrected well before the iPhone 5s came out and the reAson I knwo this is because I had one . Now I have an iPhone 6 , I had it for 2-3 weeks and I am wondering what is the fatal flaw that you are talking about? It is certainly not bent, doesn't overhat while charging .... I am just curious what it wrong with it?
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 00:39

On 2014-10-09 22:23:12, aussieland1 wrote:
Sorry but claims that the phone overheated while charging and then it bent are ridiculous and same goes with the claim that it was babied and kept in a case and yet it still bent.

Yup, it's not 'representative' of the 6+... It's not widespread at all too... Or else it will be all over the news.
But the fact remains that it did happen to some.

That's right, at the end of the day, we choose what we want to believe. So by the same token, one shouldn't be at fault for choosing not to.

And about hate whole iPhone corrected by the next generation - well iphone 5 scuffing problem was corrected well before the iPhone 5s came out and the reAson I knwo this is because I had one .

Again, it's personal preference... For myself, that's been my experience. The one that follows corrects the previous one.
One good example is ios8... If I had been an early adopter. I would've been affected by its bugs. My decision to wait.. turned out to be the right one (again)...but even up to now, it's not yet all fixed. (See ios thread pls).

Now I have an iPhone 6 , I had it for 2-3 weeks and I am wondering what is the fatal flaw that you are talking about? It is certainly not bent, doesn't overhat while charging .... I am just curious what it wrong with it?

We'll, I think it's good that you don't have a bent phone. It's also good that you don't have friends with bent phones. Or hasn't had any problems with returning phones. But just because you don't have it... Does it follow that others are not having problems too? Flaw? Well, if the problems of bending isn't enough to convince you that there's an obvious design flaw... then sure, you're entitled to your opinion. As I am entitled to mine.

.... If I may reiterate this one more time... its not a question of "if the phone will bend", I mean, all phones can bend if given enough force. The question is, "how EASY it is to bend?" Its about the sturdiness, robustness, or durability of the phone that's being put in the spotlight.

cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2014-10-10 00:00 ]
ardzuna
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 20:24
Well, at least it's not as bad as the Note 4. That thing also bends plus has a gap big enough to put a business card in it.
So, I guess that the 6+ is still a better choice for a phablet in the end

lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 20:33
If all goes to plan I should be getting my iPhone plus 64gb tomorrow, and I cant wait. Hopefully it wont be as easy to bend as all the reports say it is.
Like all my phones it will be very well looked after so there will be excuse if it does bend at all. Time will tell
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 21:10
Lemmy

It would be great if you mange to buy it - would be nice to read the opinion of a real user for a change in this thread
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-10-10 20:11 ]
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 21:52
Thank Aussie. Its quite refreshing not to be called stupid or ignorant for choosing one phone over another which seems to be the norm on here for some members.
If I manage to get my hands on it I'll let you know fella. It means I'm going to be away from WP8 for a while but I've been looking forward to a large screen iPhone and I just have to give it a go.
I'll be in touch.......hopefully

difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 22:53

On 2014-10-10 21:10:16, aussieland1 wrote:
Lemmy

It would be great if you mange to buy it - would be nice to read the opinion of a real user for a change in this thread
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-10-10 20:11 ]

May I ask what you mean exactly? So all those posts in apple support forums, youtube, reddit, twitter, etc... were made by people who are not real iphone users?? Wow!

Anyway, as if to prove my point above, that not all Apple Stores are the same. And returning is NOT a smooth process always...this article just showed up:

Expect Some Suspense When Replacing Your Bent iPhone 6 at the Apple Store

Customer says he was denied a replacement at first
By Filip Truta on October 10th, 2014 10:01 GMT

Via a Support representative, Apple confirmed last month that it would replace any iPhone 6 that suffered from the apparent #bendgate issue free of charge, upon visual inspection.

That turned out not to be the case at one Apple store (Walden Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY), where a person wanted to swap a bent iPhone 6 Plus for a new one after discovering the flaw and opening a thread on Reddit.

Apple’s policy

As noted above, Apple last month said via a Support rep that the company would replace bent units after an inspection by the store’s staff. The Support guy said (asked if Apple would indeed replace bent phones), “That is 100% up to the Genius that you speak with at the store.”

“There is a test called a Visual Mechanical Inspection that the device will have to pass,” the Apple representative told The Next Web. “If it is within the guidelines, they will be able to cover it. If not, the replacement would be paid,” the representative said.

The refusal

Identified as mastercheif on Reddit, an iPhone 6 Plus owner realized one day that his phone had bent. He didn’t know how or why, and this is the second such case we’ve heard about. However, that still doesn’t mean these people did nothing wrong. After all, they have no recollection of doing anything wrong to the thousand-dollar device, or they won’t admit it for fear that they won’t get a replacement from Apple. In fact, that’s what our guy mastercheif must have been feeling when he shared the story with the world.

He went into the store asking for his phone to be replaced. He said he had talked to two employees there, and one of them allegedly said:

“Apple has not indicated to us at this time that this is a manufacturing issue. You can use an AppleCare+ replacement if you want.”

He then claims to have talked to a manager for a full hour and “explained” that he had a Reddit thread on the issue, without even thinking for a second that his claims would start to sound like threats or blackmail.

“Apple has told us that it is not a problem with the phones,” the manager replied. “We need to make sure we are being consistent, especially with you're going to tell a thousand people about this. We are not replacing bent phones at this time. If something changes, I will let you know.”

Sounds to us like a safe approach on behalf of the store manager. However, Apple should have at least inspected the guy’s phone before refusing to replace it. We can’t know for sure where the discussions went wrong, but one thing is certain: the Apple Store, Walden Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY is not the best place to get your bent iPhone exchanged.

The victory lap

User mastercheif then visited another store and swapped the phone no problem.

“The genius was entirely sympathetic and didn't question me beyond ‘have you sat on it? Do you know how it happened?’ He then promptly used the ‘Early Field Failure Analysis’ option on his iPad and ran to the back to grab a replacement. My faith is restored.”

Go figure.

http://news.softpedia.com/new[....]t-the-Apple-Store-461694.shtml
http://www.news.nom.co/expect[....]-when-replacing-12850551-news/

aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 23:07
@difenbaker

I meant in this thread - all that was posted so far was every bit of negative press that you could find about Apple on the net. I would love to read experience of people using the phone - as difficult as it may be for you to understand there are more things to this phone than the bending
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-10-10 23:12

On 2014-10-10 20:24:34, ardzuna wrote:
Well, at least it's not as bad as the Note 4. That thing also bends plus has a gap big enough to put a business card in it.

That is easy to rectify, just INSPECT the unit before you buy, that's it...problem solved.
But in the iphone 6, can you bend the phone before you buy? Just to see if it will bend or not?

Yup, it also bends, but if you look at the video - the bending is not as much as the 6+, and you can bend it BACK without cracking the screen.
(see the video in the note thread pls).

So, I guess that the 6+ is still a better choice for a phablet in the end

Really? And HOW is it a better choice? Do you mean to say that a bent phone is better than one with a gap?

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 111213 ... 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic