Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > END OF AN ERA: Microsoft buys Nokia

Author END OF AN ERA: Microsoft buys Nokia
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-29 22:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i said i never liked nokia. actually there's one exception. lumia 1520. it impress me as all around phablet. too bad it uses windows os. but it's a very good phablet for people who like that os and want a phablet.
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-05-01 20:25
A lot of history gone here.
The N900 and N9 looked so promising.
If only Nokia could start from scratch again, start small but develop a good OS or continue where they left off with MeeGo... Just wishful thinking.
Can't wait to have spare money, I'm gonna buy all the Nokia flagships and store them for the future...
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-05-01 20:30
I just keep thinking if Nokia jumped on the Android bandwagon a few years ago they not only would still be here but could even be at the top instead of Samsung. Thanks Elop, thanks alot.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-01 20:33
He's made his money & had his cake and eat it

http://www.reuters.com/articl[....]o-payout-idUSBREA3T0KD20140430
Phone?? What phone??
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-05-01 20:37
I read that on GSMarena. Can't believe he is getting a massive payout like that when he almost single handedly ruined the company.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-01 20:50
Ah well,many including bankers get a big bonus these days even for failure
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 12:30

On 2014-05-01 20:30:38, XperiaJunkie wrote:
I just keep thinking if Nokia jumped on the Android bandwagon a few years ago they not only would still be here but could even be at the top instead of Samsung. Thanks Elop, thanks alot.

One of the key reasons AFAIK for Nokia avoiding Android was so that they don't go against Samsung. Remember Nokia had a lot of influence in Symbian and I think it was in 2007 when they bought it, so they had full control, when it came to Android they simply wouldn't have that control.

When Android arrived Samsung had been on a steady increase Y-on-Y, they had overtaken Motorola, Sony Ericsson and were on their way to take Nokia, they were the 2nd largest manufacturer at that point, despite Nokia's size they knew Samsung would be a problem with their manufacturing prowess and so on, all Samsung needed was the correct platform, and Android was that platform.

EDIT:

I remember a few Esato members in 2009, I think Mario and Dups were amongst them, who predicted that Samsung would topple Nokia, I think Eldar from Mobile-Review also expressed this, this was before we had even seen the 1st Samsung Android device. So I think Nokia already knew that Apple wasn't their only problem as there was a powerhouse in the making in South Korea.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2014-05-02 11:35 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 13:10
I think thats debatable whether Samsung would still have been so succesful had Nokia gone on Android path. Especially here in Europe Nokia was massively popular and Samsung capitalized massively on no competitive phones on the market. Also both HTC/Samsung were succesful in US because of Android and Nokia never really was sucessfull there

One think is certain - i think Nokia would have been doing a lot better than it is now had it taken the Android path. I am still hopeing WP will catch up though...
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 13:32
It would have made everything more exciting if Nokia went Android, we would have had Nokia, Samsung, Apple and HTC going at each other very hard in 2010.

In the end I guess it's a good thing in terms of variety that Nokia went WP, as without Nokia I don't think WP would've had the bit of success it has right now.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 15:47
Read this

http://m.wpcentral.com/elop-explains-why-nokias-bed-windows-phone
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 17:18
Nokia saves a life again with their tough build

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-smartphone-deflects-bullet-saves-police-officer_id55741
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 17:53

On 2014-05-02 15:47:00, Bonovox wrote:
Read this

http://m.wpcentral.com/elop-explains-why-nokias-bed-windows-phone

This is the speculation I spoke about being confirmed, so they really did avoid Android due to Samsung, and even before Samsung dominated it they suspected it would be them, I read this speculation a years ago, I didn't know Elop ended up confirming it. If one thing has remained constant with Nokia, they were brilliant at speculating about the future but their moves weren't always properly timed.

There's a lot Microsoft has to learn from Nokia and vice versa, I hope they make it work.
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-05-02 21:39
Its pretty certain that had NOKIA gone Android it would have been going toe-to-toe with SAMSUNG but im glad that dint happen.Honestly i don't think we need yet another Android maker -_- WP is great and its getting better.Just a little late for NOKIA though
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-05-03 01:12
The reason they didn't go android is this:

http://youtu.be/qHWsi_pnuQ4?t=3m10s

Listen carefully to what he is saying.. they wanted to switch from a mobile phone company to a solutions platform company, or in other words.. more software and less hardware.

Google were considered their arch rival on a fundamental level, going android would've been seen as defeat within the company.

I guess they chose the lesser evil in the face of Microsoft.

Being dependent on Google is just as bad as being dependent on Microsoft, or worse depending on how you look at it.

Being independent of both is by far the best option, but it seems like no one besides Apple has the resources and know-how to do that. It turned out that its much easier for a software company to build hardware, than a hardware company to build software.

Nokia tried for over 15 years, and they had a pretty good run, but that was all based on the initial work done PSION.. nokia took that product (Symbian) and ran it into the ground in about 10 years.

The next real contender is Samsung + Tizen, which is the abandoned Nokia/Intel MeeGo project, but I have my doubts. As it stands, we will have the big trio (MS,G,APPL) dictate the market for the foreseeable future.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2014-05-03 00:15 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-05-03 01:59
Well most OEM's do not possess their own smartphone platform except Apple.
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic