Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > END OF AN ERA: Microsoft buys Nokia

Author END OF AN ERA: Microsoft buys Nokia
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-26 18:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This thread is not about weather you like or dislike Nokia it's about all the good things they did especially in the the late 90's and into the next decade. I Personally wasn't that keen on Nokia although I did have a few Sony Ericsson devices running Symbian. If it wasn't for Nokia in those early years we most certainly wouldn't be were we are now and for that I say thank you Nokia 👍
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-26 21:55
With the sale of Nokia to Microsoft it gets me thinking which will be the next major phone manufacturer to either go bust or forced to sell up. I think the obvious ones would be htc and BlackBerry it is well documented about their financial status and things may not be getting any better especially for BlackBerry who have yet to do anything solid with BB10 and it has been out for over a year. I do think unless they can come up with a serious product to challenge the major flagship devices then I give it 18 months to 2 years and BlackBerry will be no more. Hopefully HTC can start to turn things round the have a fantastic flagship device in the M8 but even that has some flaws of its own which the same didn't help sales of the previous model. Sales of the M8 are said to be good but is it enough to pull them back in the black, only time will tell and fingers crossed both manufacturers can have a few good years and help them get back on track.
They're in my head
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-04-26 23:08
Blackberry, HTC and a few others are going to continue making losses while the juggernauts Apple and Samsung take the lions share and the Chinese makers begin to eat into the scraps that the rest take, I think LG is the only other maker who have a chance of making it out of what we are in if they continue on their current path.

There is going to be a lot of fatalities outside of China, it's going to get very ugly, IMO, if these Chinese OEMs like Huawei and ZTE continue on their relentless path of super low pricing and network partnerships, unless certain companies begin opening their eyes and start very heavy R&D in Africa and other developing areas as that is where there is still plenty of growth.

I'd say now is the time for some makers to dig deep and begin spending heavily on R&D and marketing.

I've been watching a documentary on BBC Knowledge called "The Chinese Are Coming", it reveals just how rapidly and effectively they've managed to get into many countries such as Angola, Tanzania, Brazil etc... They are just so relentless, I see their OEMs taking out more than just BB and Htc.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2014-04-26 22:15 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-26 23:25
^ I completely agree with you about China becoming an electronic superpower. Their rise in the last 2-3 years has been phenomenal, emerging markets is key for growth I know Sony have had a lot of success in India even overtaking Apple to claim the number 2 manufacturer there and a similar story in China with dual sim variants and the Xperia C has been great sales wise in both countries.
They're in my head
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-26 23:57
@XperiaJunkie
No, don't get me wrong. i appreciate Nokia for their efforts in mobile and making other companies work harder to manufacture better devices! i wouldn't be the same without nokia. i hope the same for any oem. i hope that microsoft and windows os start to give a fight to android and apple already. i hope that Chinese manufacturers will kick the others in the butt, especially sony and make sony work harder on their weaknesses - like starting to invest in usa market and perfecting the Z line more, and the same for the other manufacturers, like you guys said. more competition = always better for consumers.
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2014-04-27 00:09
My 3310 went for numerous jaunts from the roof of my car,chipped scratched still worked.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-27 00:25
My fondest memories of Nokia. The N8, N95 8 gig, Nokia N73, E72 and 6210. I think also Oppo could be ones to watch too.
Phone?? What phone??
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2014-04-27 02:54
My first Nokia ever was the 6110.
As always when it comes to things. I customise the look and my 6110 was not an exception.
I had a flashing antenna and chromed body. I just remember how well you could spin your 6110 on its battery.
Whenever it called, I would just spin my phone because I thought it looked so awesome.

I also owned the legendary and the most beautifully phone ever made; the 8850 with blue light and premium feeling.
Phones back then had so much character unlike phones today.

Who didn't own the popular 6230?

One last thing

[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2014-04-27 02:12 ]
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-27 09:45
It brings tears to my eyes now thinking other Nokia have gone, for me my finest memory of a Nokia is for my old 8210 who remembers that one? It lasted for days on one charge, my wife bought me logo manager for it for a Christmas present and I could mod everything on it and I've still got it.
I hope Microsoft can still develope the lumia range and invest heavily in greater things for it instead of letting the brand go stale and under.
And as others have said I think all the other OEM's better watch out for the Chinese, there a coming for us but more competition makes it better for us the consumer.
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2014-04-27 14:45
Obviously Nokia did much good for the industry... and setting aside camera phones, my two favorite "nokia memories" were the day I got my 3360 as it was VERY exciting to have the ability to change covers at will
-AND-
the day I got my observation camera as it was just such a cool idea to be able to request pictures via MMS (both devices, I still have to this day).

[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2014-04-27 17:34 ]
[addsig]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-04-27 20:57

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-04-27 21:12
The Nokia "Tube", later unveiled as the legendary 5800xm, I miss mine, recently gave it away, with all it's original accessories (TV-out cable, Stand, spare stylus, the guitar pick thingy etc...) to someone who needed it, hope they are taking good care of it as it was a very solid smartphone.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-27 22:03
This funny, ironic and sad all in one
They're in my head
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-28 01:44

On 2014-04-26 00:23:37, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Nokia's arrogance
Their handling of Symbian Ltd
The N96
The N97
Elop

To me these are the main things that brought them down.

The Nokia N8 was something they should've launched a whole year earlier, along with Symbian Belle, their final range of Symbians were well specced devices in their time and we still have the 808 PureView as the benchmark for mobile photography, it was all too little too late and Microsoft's interference was a catalyst indeed.

Never thought I'd see Nokia reduced to what it is now, unbelievable. Thats ALL the main veterans gone: Nokia, Ericsson, SonyEricsson, Motorola, Siemens etc... The mobile industry is just so cruel, one day we may be saying R.I.P Apple and Samsung, and some Chinese OEM like Huawei will be at the top.

WHAT?!

The N96 was still in the Symbian Hey-day!
The N97 was the perfect device for it's time ... there was issues with the hardware, touch display and recall this was JUST after/before the iPhone original was announced, ANNOUNCED not launched!

Nokia has always led with design innovations that the market seemed to have forgotten and feared.
N97, N95/N80, N90, N-Gage/QD, lipstick phone, 7700 the ORIGINAL Phablet!, etc etc. You couldn't count less if you tried with all of there phones pictured and labelled in front of you.

No the issue with Nokia is what happened to BlacKBerry ....
they got TOO fat, and rested on their laurels ... didn't SEE nor cared for the changes in markets that where beyond trends. They where simply STUBBORN! They kept hiring from within (same for BOTH) continued to squander money on executives for poor performance failed to recognize innovative leaders inside/outside instead bumping up on seniority for that sake alone. They wanted to 'keep it Finnish' ... there in lied their issue ... the world is NOT one people it's a mix of many peoples and they all have wants/needs and continue to evolve ... nokia just didn't want to.

Nokia gave up on Symbian ... they made it open source and for a short while it was the RIGHT/SMART move to make! Having an open forum was also great ... Qualcomm was the first to develop a hardware platform for it and again smart move. The issue is Symbian's UI and touch screen did NOT evolve quick enough in the open source chapters. Plus they still wanted a license fee ... this opened up the gates to Android!

Samsung jumped on Android because it was a fresh start and a perfect platform for them to highlight advances in their many production plants from LCD, to chips, to RAM ... under Nokia's rule of S60 they where screwed over (like LG) over and over again!

It peaked with 40% global market share in 2008.
^% I think Nokia had 70% of the global market share if not MORE = phones, over 54% for smartphones I'm sure!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-28 01:50

On 2014-04-26 23:08:15, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Blackberry, HTC and a few others are going to continue making losses while the juggernauts Apple and Samsung take the lions share and the Chinese makers begin to eat into the scraps that the rest take, I think LG is the only other maker who have a chance of making it out of what we are in if they continue on their current path.

There is going to be a lot of fatalities outside of China, it's going to get very ugly, IMO, if these Chinese OEMs like Huawei and ZTE continue on their relentless path of super low pricing and network partnerships, unless certain companies begin opening their eyes and start very heavy R&D in Africa and other developing areas as that is where there is still plenty of growth.

I'd say now is the time for some makers to dig deep and begin spending heavily on R&D and marketing.

I've been watching a documentary on BBC Knowledge called "The Chinese Are Coming", it reveals just how rapidly and effectively they've managed to get into many countries such as Angola, Tanzania, Brazil etc... They are just so relentless, I see their OEMs taking out more than just BB and Htc.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2014-04-26 22:15 ]

Start looking at TedTalks!

The Chinese industrial age is coming to a slow standstill in a very short time. BTW, it's Taiwanese I think ... not the Chinese ... they assemble not manufacture as much. Next nation for textiles and manufacturing will be all of Africa ... first in the western countries of the continent then the south. Each time a nation gets into textiles and manufacturing it does so at an exponential rate than the last: N. America (USA, Canada, Mexico), Europe, then China, now it's Eastern Asian countries ... soon it'll be in the continent of Africa.

PS: HTC was an OEM long ago ... for Orange, Vodafone, etc building their branded PocketPC-PE's or Smartphone Edition devices and did so with Aplomb. What a difference 10yrs makes in the world.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic