Forum > General discussions > Tablets > Xperia Tablet Z2

Author Xperia Tablet Z2
Smaug
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-05 17:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ CrownedAkuma, Away

Double standards are rife in the consumer electronics industry, sadly. Certain brands are lauded for their improvements, yet when Sony does the same it suddenly becomes irrelevant. At least educated folks like us see through it.

Trusted Reviews wrote a hands-on review of the Z2 tablet claiming it was £100 pounds more expensive than the equivalent iPad Air, and thus not worth the expense. I posted a comment asking why TR compared the most expensive Z2 model (4G/LTE) to the cheapest iPad model (non-4G 16GB), as this misleads readers. They deleted my comment but then silently amended the review (but not the conclusion, that the Z2 was inferior).

For those of you that ordered or are considering the Z2 tablet, you are in for a treat. A fantastic featherweight design accompanied by an outstanding display. The Live Colour LEDs add real punch and vibrancy to the display, without over-saturation. No issue with viewing angles. I don't have the software to measure accuracy and contrast but others have and claimed it scores very highly. The metal one-piece frame is now brushed aluminium, giving it a more premium look over the original Z. Other features like the IR remote and Throw app are useful additions. No anti-shatter film. Speakers do a decent job, but don't expect Harman Kardon quality.

Not sure I agree with the criticism that the Z2 is "flexible" because it's so thin. I don't know anyone who deliberately tries to bend their electronic devices.

[ This Message was edited by: Smaug on 2014-04-05 16:54 ]
Fransisco
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2014-04-05 18:40
^ the same thing happened with XTZ too.

GSMA concluded that it was better for people to wait Gtab 3 10.1 to be released as they believed it would be a much better tablet than XTZ. But dang, a couple months later Gtab 3 was announced and it was

Afterwards they deleted that sentence in XTZ's review though.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-04-05 20:05
Seriously!

The Xperia tabs are engineering marvels One of the best things Sony have ever made. I've got one in my hand now and they're nothing short of excellent. It's not good for consumers when they don't give credit where it is due .
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-07 09:58
Another review...
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/t[....]e-best-android-tablet-yet.html

"The Best android tablet yet!"
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-11 01:20
Had my Z2 Tab in hand for around 12 hours now. Here's what I think.

This is a fantastic device.

No shatter proof layer protector so you just feel clean glass.

The screen looks great, no complaints at all.

Noticeably (when side by side) lighter than the predecessor.

The edges feel rounder in the hand which is great because the first Z Tablet felt slightly sharp when holding for more than 10 minutes or so. The softer edges combined with the slightly lighter weight mean it is much nicer to hold.

The back isn't a smooth flat matt black but has a very slight sandy/grainy feel to it. Might just be machining left over though, not tried to wipe it off.

Ultra glossy glass is stunning (so good I mentioned it twice already)

Sony also added a vibrations for notifications.

Android 4.4.2 feels like a nice update. Again the improvements made are small but significant.

No pen/pencil input!! Really disappointed that this isn't working for me, maybe I'm doing it wrong or I've presse3d a setting but I was looking forward to this feature.

Overall, Sony took a great Z Tablet and fixed pretty much everything. This is almost perfection except for the strange headphone positioning. I'm not sure if I can still use headphones when the thing is docked because I don't have a dock yet to test it.
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2014-04-11 00:31 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-04-11 10:43
Sounds greats Ricky. Did you get the 4G version and are you using the mini handset with it?

I was on the verge of going for the Z2 Tablet when I cracked the screen on my Xperia Z, which set me back a £100 or so.

Then I found a Tablet Z for £230, which was a bargain for the condition it's in. (Still need to fix the screen on my Xperia Z though.)
Smaug
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-11 12:21

On 2014-04-11 01:20:52, Ricky D wrote:

Overall, Sony took a great Z Tablet and fixed pretty much everything. This is almost perfection except for the strange headphone positioning. I'm not sure if I can still use headphones when the thing is docked because I don't have a dock yet to test it.

Headphones can be used while docked, so long as you have an L-shaped connector. This is with the Sony DK39 dock. The headphone jack barely touches the ground but still charges no problem.

I've washed and wiped my tablet Z2. The back looks smooth but does retain a very slight textured feel to it, so it isn't just machining left over on yours.

The vibration is a really nice addition. Credit to the engineers who managed to squeeze it in such a thin frame. What is up with Sony using super-powerful vibration motors? My Z1 phone is strong enough to put a smile on any girl's face.

itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2014-04-11 12:44
^Well, it's from Japan.
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-11 13:18

On 2014-04-11 12:44:19, itsjustJOH wrote:
^Well, it's from Japan.

BTW DAT SCREEN IS GORGEOUOUOUOUOUS
[ This Message was edited by: CrownedAkuma on 2014-04-11 12:18 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-11 21:06
@goldenface
I did get the 4G version. I VERY rarely take phone calls so I haven't got round to using a bluetooth headset yet, I'll probably stick with my headphones with in-line mic (seen as though they cost me £80 and I barely use them)

@Smaug
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm not on the look out for the dock. Although I was hoping to get the bluetooth speaker dock. I wonder if still leaves enough clearance for a right angled headphone jack.

I too am very impressed with the power and engineering marvel that is the vibrator in this tablet. Not tried it on my wife yet though.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-12 02:39
Just reading over on xda about another FW version which fixes screen sensitivity. Perhaps this is why there is no pen/pencil input and the screen doesn't seem 100% responsive for me.

I just thought maybe I needed to give the thing a wipe to help my finger's conductivity.

[a flashtool upgrade, a firmware flash later and a short while...]

Sensitivity is better, but still no pen/pencil input. Is there a particular type of pen/pencil I should try to use? e.g. not a mechanical pencil or not a roller-ball pen or something?
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-12 09:15

On 2014-04-12 02:39:47, Ricky D wrote:
Just reading over on xda about another FW version which fixes screen sensitivity. Perhaps this is why there is no pen/pencil input and the screen doesn't seem 100% responsive for me.

I just thought maybe I needed to give the thing a wipe to help my finger's conductivity.

[a flashtool upgrade, a firmware flash later and a short while...]

Sensitivity is better, but still no pen/pencil input. Is there a particular type of pen/pencil I should try to use? e.g. not a mechanical pencil or not a roller-ball pen or something?

I read the WhitePaper's for both Xperia Z2 and Xperia Tablet Z2 and they still carry the "Stylus Pen Support" and "direct Touch" and this are the two voices linked with pen recognition... I think!
Maybe they'll activate this in future update? I do not know...
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-13 16:44
The sensitivity issue is a known issue apparently. The firmware update improved the situation but has NOT fixed it. Slightly disappointed if this ends up as a hardware issue and I need to get the thing replaced.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Smaug
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-13 19:54

On 2014-04-13 16:44:45, Ricky D wrote:
The sensitivity issue is a known issue apparently. The firmware update improved the situation but has NOT fixed it. Slightly disappointed if this ends up as a hardware issue and I need to get the thing replaced.

Thanks for letting us know. I thought it was just me until reading XDA's posts.

Mine is temperamental when it comes to double tap to wake. Often it doesn't register anything until you tap it 4 or 5 times, then the screen suddenly springs to life. Unlocking screen can also be temporarily frozen and doesn't register any input, although this is rarer. It's as though the tablet is on a union-instigated strike for a few seconds, but only now and then.

It's not a deal breaker; just mildly annoying when it takes a few extra taps to wake the device.

I'm no expert but my guess is a firmware-related issue. I've noticed it is worse when the tablet hasn't been used for a few hours or when it is charging. When you're using it constantly, there is no problem. I don't have any input lag when navigating around the OS.

The drawback of being one of the first to own a new product: all the kinks haven't been ironed out yet and/or software has to be patched. I remember the days when you brought a new console game and it worked out of the box. Now most big releases have a day-one patch.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-14 01:21
I actually find the occasional unresponsiveness very annoying. You're right it doesn't occur everytime, but it always seems to be when I want to use the device surprisingly enough.

To me, the touchscreen is the input method for 99% of the interactions so if it doesn't work the device doesn't work.

I think you're right that it is a fw problem rather than hw as the device does work sometimes.

I think as a severity of the problem I'd say it work properly 60% of the, with reduced sensitivity 30% of the time and doesn't work 10% of the time.

I found using the full pad of my finger tip to increase the surface area contact helps about 50% of the low-sensitivity times (completely the opposite what the pen input is supposed to do by reducing the required contact area)
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic