Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced

Previous  123 ... 222324 ... 414243  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 10:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I didn't mean to say cartoonish but Samsung made a big buzz about how different the UI looks but it has hardly changed at all only the settings menu which is too long actually too much scrolling. The main menu just looks the same only slightly changed in icon colours in one or two of them. The GS5 is the ugliest phone Samsung has ever made. But the screen is good.
Phone?? What phone??
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 10:23
While I think that GS4 looks better (especially the black edition) there's no way that original GS and even Gas3 (IMO) looks better. The settings menu can be changed back to tabs -me personally I prefer the list
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 11:02

On 2014-04-18 21:49:43, Bonovox wrote:
But at least it has a better screen and better processor than S4. Here is a review which says battery life is average

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-review

And here is another one saying batterylife is exellent: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-review-1064p3.php

I guess it just depends on which review you trust. In my experience the batterylife is on pair with the Note3 and that is also what I hear from other users, that batterylife is great.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 11:11
http://blog.gsmarena.com/10-things-didnt-know-galaxy-s5-maybe/
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 11:18
Another review is stating that S5 has a great battery life:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7903/samsung-galaxy-s-5-review/5
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 13:12
I would prefer to have a choice of say the settings menu to have a white background if you wanted to. I've often struggled to see the Samsung screens in
sunlight. As for battery life well I'm a heavy user and to save battery am not really liking Samsung's idea of a black and white screen. The S4 battery when I had it was appallingly bad I've never had a phone with a battery that dropped faster than the S4 did. I seen news yesterday of a possible rounded Note 4 coming that'll be interesting
Phone?? What phone??
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 13:17
Well the screen of GS5 is brighter than the previous amoled screens so the outdoors visibility should be improved. Personally I only struggle outdoors when the brightness is set to auto- otherwise if I manually increase the brightness I have no problems viewing the screen outdoors
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-04-19 12:18 ]
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 13:25
^that's unusual because according to displaymate, the s5 reaches its highest possible brightness when set to auto brightness

Even more impressive is that when Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S5 hits an incredible 698 cd/m2 in high Ambient Light, where high Screen Brightness is really needed, which is 47 percent brighter than the Galaxy S4 and 6 percent brighter than the Note 3 with Automatic Brightness turned On – it’s the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. An impressive achievement for OLED technology! See the Brightness and Contrast section for measurements and details.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 13:39

On 2014-04-19 13:25:43, miromiromi wrote:
^that's unusual because according to displaymate, the s5 reaches its highest possible brightness when set to auto brightness

Even more impressive is that when Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S5 hits an incredible 698 cd/m2 in high Ambient Light, where high Screen Brightness is really needed, which is 47 percent brighter than the Galaxy S4 and 6 percent brighter than the Note 3 with Automatic Brightness turned On – it’s the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. An impressive achievement for OLED technology! See the Brightness and Contrast section for measurements and details.

To be honest I don't read that at all from this link - to me it sounds like the brightness on automatic is higher compared to previous models.

Regardless I wasn't talking about S5 (because I don't own one) but of Note 3

Edit: just read the review on anandtech and it seems that you are right in regards to S5 display. All I can say is that with Note 3 outdoors especially under sun the screen is not as bright as it needs to be with automatic brightness but adjusting the brightness manually helps
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-04-19 12:43 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 17:31
I hope the call quality on this phone has been improved as compared to the S4. I sold my S4 and went with the BlackBerry Q10, the call quality on the BlackBerry is amazing. It really is miles ahead of the S4.

I also don't understand people's fascination with Android. After getting the hang of BB10 I am in a position to say that it is better than Android and this is still in its infancy.

I remember going back to my P1 while I had the S4 because the OS didn't quite cut it for me. Right now I have finally found the OS to replace UIQ3 with. BB10 is that good. The only concern I have is whether BlackBerry will still be around for me to enjoy this wonderful OS.

I am already seeing it after 4 more updates, looking (and hoping BlackBerry makes it) forward to it.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 17:44

On 2014-04-19 17:31:31, Dups! wrote:
I hope the call quality on this phone has been improved as compared to the S4. I sold my S4 and went with the BlackBerry Q10, the call quality on the BlackBerry is amazing. It really is miles ahead of the S4.

I also don't understand people's fascination with Android. After getting the hang of BB10 I am in a position to say that it is better than Android and this is still in its infancy.

Happy to hear that you are enjoying BB10. However I am unsure why you want to reinforce that BB10 is better than Android? Sounds like it is working better for you which is great however your needs /preferences doesn't translate in everyone else's preference

Btw no call quality issues while I used S4 and the same stands for my current Note 3
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 18:12
I am not going to lump everyone in the same basket. I am firm believer in "different strokes for different folks", it is just that it is very difficult for me when people who have never used a particular OS knock it.

I have been on both sides and I am more than happy on BlackBerry's side.

The more choices the better for everyone else. I have the same apps I had when I had the S4 with the exception of one. None of those apps are sideloaded, by the way.

As for the call quality of the S4 I found it to be of poor quality. I tested that with different S4s and the results were the same. It sounded like someone was speaking from a hole. None of those issues with my Q10.

Another issue with the Samsung was it's ability to hold and retain a signal, it was so inconsistent that it frustrated the he'll out of me.

All of those issues have disappeared with the BlackBerry. Like you say if it works for you then good for you.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2014-04-19 17:15 ]
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 18:20

On 2014-04-19 18:12:04, Dups! wrote:
. I have the same apps I had when I had the S4 with the exception of one. None of those apps are sideloaded, by the way.

Can I ask how is this possible since Play store is not available for BB10?
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 18:55
Ooops! Wrong choice of words. I meant the apps that did the same thing as on the S4. You can actually install Android apps by using a few methods. One of those is installing the Amazon app store and downloading the Android apps from there.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-19 19:25

On 2014-04-19 18:12:04, Dups! wrote:

As for the call quality of the S4 I found it to be of poor quality. I tested that with different S4s and the results were the same. It sounded like someone was speaking from a hole. None of those issues with my Q10.

Another issue with the Samsung was it's ability to hold and retain a signal, it was so inconsistent that it frustrated the he'll out of me.

All of those issues have disappeared with the BlackBerry. Like you say if it works for you then good for you.
[ This Message was edited by: Dups! on 2014-04-19 17:15 ]

I always found the GS3 better for reception than the GS4. The GS4 often was poor travelling around but found the call quality ok. Has anyone used the GS5's Wi Fi/Network download at same time feature??
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 222324 ... 414243  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic