Author Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 18:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
^this
^^this

You people assume your 24 month contract will begin the second the phone is released, and will end the second the successor's successor is released. You people also assume everyone has the same contract length, that they even have a contract.

Bonovox, forget 24 months, when's the last time you stuck with a phone for 24 weeks?
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 19:33

On 2014-03-09 16:56:50, XperiaJunkie wrote:
So I see a few people on this thread are complaining about Sony's 6 month flagship strategy and how it isn't fair to the customer. First of all how many different versions were there of the GS4 a total of 19 in the space of 10 months (20 if you include the GPE) albeit not all were available worldwide and now onto the GS5 how many customers will be annoyed when Samsung announce the roumored GS5 Prime a month or 2 after the release of the first version so stop complaining about Sony when Samsung are just as bad with multiple variants of the same phone with maybe more memory, lesser camera spec, lower screen resolution and so on.
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2014-03-09 16:03 ]

clutching straw much? All the version of gs4 released last year are dumbed down version. There was a s800 version but that was not released worldwide. Anyway gs4 active was not meant to replace gs4 like z2 replaced z1 or z1 replaced z
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-09 19:44
I never once mentioned anything about the S4 being replaced by another variant just the differences in the variants. Sony also produce 6 month flagships to prevent their products from shall we say going stale Sony know they can't match Samsung for sales so to have a mid year refresh is good business for Sony and this has show in year on year increase of sales. another advantage is a customer can get a slightly older model at a cheaper price but still with top end spec and not pay a premium for it which in a customer point of view is good business
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 20:18

On 2014-03-09 18:28:59, Away wrote:
^this
^^this

Bonovox, forget 24 months, when's the last time you stuck with a phone for 24 weeks?

What's that got to do with me & my phones?? I said generally with contracts & other people, not about myself. As usual you have to come here to have a pop at me cos I am saying something bad about Sony in ANOTHER thread I can't even say anything about what I generally think about something without someone having a pop at me am sick to death of it
Phone?? What phone??
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 21:24

On 2014-03-09 19:44:47, XperiaJunkie wrote:
I never once mentioned anything about the S4 being replaced by another variant just the differences in the variants. Sony also produce 6 month flagships to prevent their products from shall we say going stale Sony know they can't match Samsung for sales so to have a mid year refresh is good business for Sony and this has show in year on year increase of sales. another advantage is a customer can get a slightly older model at a cheaper price but still with top end spec and not pay a premium for it which in a customer point of view is good business

Personally I prefer the yearly updates however I can see how for Sony and even a lot of customer the 6 months upgrade cycle makes sense . At the end of the day unless you want to have the latest / best for a longer period of time I don't think you would be bothered to much about it. I personally want to have the latest / best which is why I prefer the longer cycles. I can't cope with changing my phones every 6 months 😊
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-09 23:35

On 2014-03-09 19:33:21, aussieland1 wrote:

So I see a few people on this thread are complaining about Sony's 6 month flagship strategy and how it isn't fair to the customer. First of all how many different versions were there of the GS4 a total of 19 in the space of 10 months (20 if you include the GPE) albeit not all were available worldwide and now onto the GS5 how many customers will be annoyed when Samsung announce the roumored GS5 Prime a month or 2 after the release of the first version so stop complaining about Sony when Samsung are just as bad with multiple variants of the same phone with maybe more memory, lesser camera spec, lower screen resolution and so on.
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2014-03-09 16:03 ]

clutching straw much? All the version of gs4 released last year are dumbed down version. There was a s800 version but that was not released worldwide. Anyway gs4 active was not meant to replace gs4 like z2 replaced z1 or z1 replaced z

+1

Nail on the head.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Luca-S
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 03:34
Isn't S5 the "F" version from Samsung?
And why the usual sammy boys are so defensive now?
Are you nervous?
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 07:48

On 2014-03-10 03:34:04, Luca-S wrote:

what are you talking about? And is there a need for name calling i.e. "Sammy boys" ?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 10:37

On 2014-03-10 03:34:04, Luca-S wrote:

Please post an official image and specs of this S5 "F" version? As last I checked it currently doesn't exist (maybe I've been under a rock the last couple of weeks) and is nothing but a rumor currently.

Even if Samsung launched a special S5 or a F brand, it will not replace the OG GS5, chances are the S5 "F" version will have a more limited release, Samsung have always done that, both the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines have their main mass market device and then are followed by variants that are released in a limited number of countries, some are only released in S.Korea.

Nobody is being defensive, it's a debate, we are sharing facts and opinions, that's what a forum is for, if people can't handle that then hit the Logout button.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 10:58

The blue version has really grown on me Was thinking about getting a Z2 this time but now I am not sure anymore. Also sceptical regarding Sony's slow update policy
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 11:02
I'm looking forward to reviews, especially from Phonedog's Aaron Baker, Engadget, GSMArena and PhoneArena, as well as your user experience Rikken
Luca-S
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 16:44

On 2014-03-10 10:37:23, Tsepz_GP wrote:

Please post an official image and specs of this S5 "F" version? As last I checked it currently doesn't exist (maybe I've been under a rock the last couple of weeks) and is nothing but a rumor currently.

Even if Samsung launched a special S5 or a F brand, it will not replace the OG GS5, chances are the S5 "F" version will have a more limited release, Samsung have always done that, both the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note lines have their main mass market device and then are followed by variants that are released in a limited number of countries, some are only released in S.Korea.

Nobody is being defensive, it's a debate, we are sharing facts and opinions, that's what a forum is for, if people can't handle that then hit the Logout button.

It means premium model.
That's why i used the "quote" pal !
Even the now mid end, S4, had an special treatment with leather back and some more gimmicks.
I'm not telling this would replace any series.

The question about being defensive is due to your behavior in other topics.
Of course it's a debate but now the "F"rustrated people aren't coming from Sony side.
Oh, the last phrase shows exactly this.
Are you nervous?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 17:14

On 2014-03-10 16:44:10, Luca-S wrote:

On 2014-03-10 10:37:23, Tsepz_GP wrote:

It means premium model.
That's why i used the "quote" pal !
Even the now mid end, S4, had an special treatment with leather back and some more gimmicks.
I'm not telling this would replace any series.

The question about being defensive is due to your behavior in other topics.
Of course it's a debate but now the "F"rustrated people aren't coming from Sony side.
Oh, the last phrase shows exactly this.

You seem to be be lost, pal, I knew what you meant, but due to the fact that we really aren't sure if the device will be a premium S5 or a whole new exclusive line of phones or an internally (cpu, gpu and RAM) upgraded S5, hence why I said a special S5 or F brand, we just aren't sure what Samsung are doing.

Who's frustrated? You seem to be looking for something that isn't there.

BTW, you seem to like putting people in a box, you say "Sammy boys", like we are Samsung zealots, yet Aussieland uses a iPhone5S, a Note 3, a Lumia 1520 and iPad Air
Bonovox uses an LG G2
I use an S4 and iPad4
and Rikken also has a mix of brands, so not only are you lost, but you're talking utter rubbish. just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 19:23
Tell me guys, you really have a problem with the fact that Sony is going to release another device in the 3rd quarter of this year? It's not like this hasn't happened before. Personally I couldn't care less, it gives consumers more options and that's always good thing.

Regarding samsungs policy, maybe they won't release galaxy s5.5 or S5 F but it'll come with different SoC's versions and probably will be released at some point with refreshed SoC just to remain competitive 'on paper' with other phones. Will it make current phones inferior? Don't think so...

In those last few years I bought new devices in shop, second hand but like brand new in box and last year I bough original Z on contract. If I decide that I wan't to change my device I'll go and buy it. The fact that I'm still on contract with my operator won't change a thing, after all it's not like you're buying it for less money than in the shops, you're only paying a monthly credit along with the contract itself

Oh, and regarding FW updates. I'm running on 4.3 and don't feel bad just because I'll get 4.4 after S4, it's still quite fast considering that with every change of android version sony gives something new to their devices (dualshock suport, themes, improved homescreen, improved media apps).

Regarding this whole 6 months cycle I think that we should just accept it until the market itself won't change it.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2014-03-10 22:35

So I see a few people on this thread are complaining about Sony's 6 month flagship strategy and how it isn't fair to the customer. First of all...

@ Tsepz_GP - And I couldn't agree more also. That couldn't be more wrong. Sony go for full on replacement of their flagship. Samsung just issue variations for different markets.

HTC started it with their re-hashing of their flagships, wasn't it the Sensation that received an XE version. Sony jumped on that wagon and adopted it to full new flagship status every six months.

@ the others regarding 24 month contracts - theres not a single thing you can do to defend operators who only offer 24 month contracts. I know full well we agree to it and in other countries lesser versions are available. But, for me any many other Esato users who are talking about the UK market, we have little or no choice. There are no other viable options to get the phones we want other than paying £600 for a sim free phone which in the current economic times is impossible unless you have a very good job - or emigrate !

24 month contracts came to the UK and are here to stay. This is all part of how operators get the most out of customers and pay for the expensive handsets we have. It'll never change, so if we choose to moan and complain about it we have a right to do so.

A year ago, the S4 was announced and my S3 didn't feel like it needed an upgrade. But 12 months on, it does now. So in a way 24 month contracts work, but they are far too restrictive to customers.

I am leaning towards the S5 at the moment. Like Tsepz_GP said, theres more to Samsung phones than you get with other manufacturers. I'd hate to have an Android phone which stops being supported by the people who made it just 12 months into a 24 month contract.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2014-03-10 21:40 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 414243  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic