3 - second half 2014

Suffixes:
No suffix - Lead handset of that series
Ultra - 'Phablet'
Tablet - Tablet >10"
Compact - Mini version
Aqua - Waterproof
Dual - Dual SIM

Suffixes can be stacked e.g. "T2 Ultra Dual" is a dual sim phablet from the T series, "Z3 Tablet Compact" is a mini tablet from the Z series.

SP is a relic from the old naming scheme (which nobody understood), it was a cross over between Xperia S and Xperia P, we may still either series return in the future.
L is also from the old naming scheme, but we may still see it return in the future.

Only the flagship has a handset in every number i.e. Z, Z1, Z2, Z3

Not all series have all suffix variations nor do all series have a handset for each numbered time period

Some series variants may be iterated even less often than once a year. e.g. we haven't seen a Z series Ultra handset since Z Ultra and so have skipped Z1, Z2 and so far Z3 too (but it's not too late for the '3' time period).

The only exceptions to the numbering I've noticed is when a handset is significantly delayed. Z Ultra comes to mind. It was released second half of 2013 but wasn't called Z1 Ultra. This may also be because Z1 wasn't official yet and Sony didn't want to be ahead of themselves.

It is also worth noting that beginning of the current naming scheme overlapped a lot with things still coming out of the old SE development and before Sony upper management sorted things out from the buyout. It left things like SP and SL in the pipeline with confusing names, but Sony had to release those handsets because a) the development was already almost finished and b) they couldn't afford to not have anything new in the market.

I believe the numbering scheme increasing every 6 months is so they can easily seperate what the base chipset is for each series, which means they can clearly communicate software updates to users and who can expect an update. Their software blog is 80-90% people asking 'will my handset get this update?'. Now they can clearly say Z2 series will get it first, then T2 series, M2 won't get it etc.
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2014-09-06 03:46 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 05:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

with IP everything XPERIA, wouldn't it be great if you can have a touch screen surface handy while cooking in ****? perhaps looking at those shows teaching you how to cook a few dishes or e-recipe to size to cuts

Not sure what the **** is, or whether there are other connotations that I am meant to be aware of but if I was to understand your point correctly , that is one of the angles sony had used to market the original Z tablet. Being waterproof, people were encouraged to take their tablets to bathrooms and ****.

There was even a special edition tablet Z cooking edition released in the U.S.
[ This Message was edited by: u2jewel on 2014-09-06 04:33 ]
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 07:07

On 2014-09-06 05:29:05, u2jewel wrote:

with IP everything XPERIA, wouldn't it be great if you can have a touch screen surface handy while cooking in ****? perhaps looking at those shows teaching you how to cook a few dishes or e-recipe to size to cuts

Not sure what the **** is, or whether there are other connotations that I am meant to be aware of but if I was to understand your point correctly , that is one of the angles sony had used to market the original Z tablet. Being waterproof, people were encouraged to take their tablets to bathrooms and ****.

There was even a special edition tablet Z cooking edition released in the U.S.
[ This Message was edited by: u2jewel on 2014-09-06 04:33 ]

I think the asterisk were done by the forum. somehow k i t c h e n is censored. I don't know what's so bad about the noun.
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 07:53
i think they banned the word because of the pestering online marketers that invade the esato space.
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 08:29
^
I thought there was something wrong with my z2 tablet, then I suspected the internet connection. then I considered a bug in the forum.

No matter how many times I edited my own post, it will still be ****.

Then I thought it was one of those acronyms that was rude, therefore censored, so I went and googled but couldn't find any.

So I was about to go and have my eyesight tested this afternoon. Now I can cancel the appointment in peace.
amardeep
Sony Xperia SX
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 09:33
Thanks for the detailed reply Ricky. As we have no C or J here, and if I completely pretend the T never happened, I can reduce the range to a sane high (Z3, Z3 Compact), medium (M2, M2 Aqua), and low (E3) line-up. Of course it's not going to be headed that way, Sony will probably release a load of oddly-named models next. Now where's my M3 Mini ?

I suppose I should keep an eye on Z1 Compact prices (or maybe just bail and go iOS and get a second-hand iPhone 5 when everyone upgrades to the 6).
[ This Message was edited by: amardeep on 2014-09-06 08:45 ]
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 10:40
^
No offense intended, but i never thought a second hand iPhone could be considered an alternative choice/contender when lined against z1c...

It is refreshing to see a comment that is not geek orientated like in many tech forms, only judging by specs but surely there is no contest here (putting aside differences in os)
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 11:19

On 2014-09-06 08:29:26, u2jewel wrote:
So I was about to go and have my eyesight tested this afternoon. Now I can cancel the appointment in peace.

You are all little ****!

(I really wrote kit-chens, wtf ^^)
[ This Message was edited by: DexterMoser on 2014-09-06 10:23 ]
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 11:40
So question, does the Z3 have OIS? I can't seem to find it anywhere and someone mentioned it here a while back but nothing on specs. Anyone know for certain if it is missing or present?
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 12:10
All y'all mother**** need to calm down your **** you sons of ****!

Oh **** it works!
[ This Message was edited by: itsjustJOH on 2014-09-06 11:11 ]
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 12:15

On 2014-09-06 11:40:11, ascariss wrote:
So question, does the Z3 have OIS? I can't seem to find it anywhere and someone mentioned it here a while back but nothing on specs. Anyone know for certain if it is missing or present?

this link was posted on the z3 thread. it's a comparison between the Z3 digital image stabilization and that of LG G3's (with OIS).

the Z3 surprisingly beats the one with OIS. also, notably, sony decided to make their videos warmer, contrasty, and more saturated this time (if the videos shown there are really from z3 and LG).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwG47I8qf4
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2014-09-06 11:27 ]
JohnnyNr.5
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 12:46
According to the white paper it doesn't have OIS.

http://dl-developer.sonymobil[....]633_D6643_D6653_D6616_WP_1.pdf
[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyNr.5 on 2014-09-06 11:47 ]
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 13:57
I really hope the Z4 will come with the new Type C USB connector...

my pets on Z4 ( only my speculation )

5.2" QHD triluminos display
Snapdragon 810 64bit octacore SoC
4GB RAM
32GB Internal ( hopefully ), with 64GB option
Stereo speakers
20.7" Back camera, support for 4K video recording.
Type C USB connector ( hopefully )
other spec. from Z3 included like the new DAC and the new video stabilizer...
amardeep
Sony Xperia SX
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 16:02

On 2014-09-06 10:40:11, u2jewel wrote:
^
No offense intended, but i never thought a second hand iPhone could be considered an alternative choice/contender when lined against z1c...

It is refreshing to see a comment that is not geek orientated like in many tech forms, only judging by specs but surely there is no contest here (putting aside differences in os)

Well ... I'm not really a "phone geek" I guess. I don't really care about the latest benchmarks etc, as long as it's something recent it's going to be responsive and good enough for me, and for a while to come. I also don't want to spend the top-end (Apple) prices. My concern is more about keeping the quality and design reasonably high, and having a relatively small form factor. I have a Ray which now has a patchy lens cover, and it seems to be out of space depsite the fact I have relatively few apps (curse Android apps for insisting on install to internal memory !). It's also on 2.3.4, and feels a little slow even in casual browsing. So something newer with more space, and a slightly bigger screen would do fine.

Line up Ray / SX / iPhone 4 or 5 / Z1c and you get a gentle progression in size, and they're all nice units. I seem to be a few years behind the curve on favoured handset size, since most new models seem to be rather bigger than these
[ This Message was edited by: amardeep on 2014-09-06 15:08 ]
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-09-06 17:22

On 2014-09-06 12:15:08, miromiromi wrote:

On 2014-09-06 11:40:11, ascariss wrote:

this link was posted on the z3 thread. it's a comparison between the Z3 digital image stabilization and that of LG G3's (with OIS).

the Z3 surprisingly beats the one with OIS. also, notably, sony decided to make their videos warmer, contrasty, and more saturated this time (if the videos shown there are really from z3 and LG).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfwG47I8qf4
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2014-09-06 11:27 ]

I don't use video much so any these improvements don't really do it for me. What is interesting to compare is the low light performance video of the z3 vs the G3, probably using the new lower iso 2000 for video. The difference is quite a shock.

Will have to look at the sample shots in the z3 thread to see how the camera performs.
[ This Message was edited by: ascariss on 2014-09-06 16:26 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 346347348 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic