Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 227228229 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 16:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-05-30 11:07:21, randomuser wrote:
To be frank even 1080p is not required on a mobile device. So whether or not something is actually "required" is not the point as most of the marketing junk by companies including Sony has simply no real utility to the consumers

It's about being on par with the competition, we all know what happened with Sony ericsson when it decided to play safe and remain a generation behind the competition. Sony's sales are down to 8.8 million units now, it doesn't figure in the Top 10 global smartphone vendors list even.

In such a scenario to ditch the latest trend is anything but playing smart. The general customers are not Sony fanboys who are going to accept that 1440p is a waste and choose a 1080p Sony over 1440p Samsung and LG.

The main reason though why at this point Z3 isn't said to sport a QHD panel is lack of availability for Sony. So there is still a chance that they can come out with 1440p panel on Z3 but not a very bright chance though.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-05-30 10:07 ]



+1. Exactly.

Heck, we would've been fine with WVGA (854x480) 4inch screens even.

There's a ton of things we don't 'NEED' in our smartphones that nobody complains about, I don't get why all the hostility with QHD displays in phones, when we didn't even need HD720P, we don't even need 4K video recording on smartphones, yet here we are. It's just the way tech is moving, everything is getting better from batteries, CPUs/GPUs, Cameras, audio hardware, network speeds, software, UI etc... And its always best to try stay at the forefront, unless you have something no other manufacturer has that will be a guaranteed success.
Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max Midnight Green
Tablet: iPad Air 2 Space Gray
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droids: Huawei P30 Pro & Samsung Galaxy Note8
Rockarel
Model not set
Joined: Jun 07, 2013
Posts: 38
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 16:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I still don't understand the desire for >1080p screens in mobile. I can be reasonable and agree that it could be useful for larger phones and phablets to have it, but do you really want Sony to have a 5.5in device with Sony ergonomics? I don't. And addressing the "if you can do it, why wouldn't you do it?", maybe because it would make things worse while providing close to no gains, other than competing in the "dickswinging contest".

The qHD debate is like watching Samsung build a fast car and then replacing the round tires with square tires, and then Sony shouting "o yeah, well can do even worse!" - why not have a fast car and... Be able to utilize its increased speed?

sigh.
reeflotz
Hazel
Joined: Jun 15, 2010
Posts: > 500
From: Philippines
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 17:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-05-30 16:10:57, Tsepz_GP wrote:

I don't get why all the hostility with QHD displays in phones.



there is a limit to how much the human eye can see, and there's already minimal sharpness difference between a 5 inch 1080p screen and a 5 inch 720p screen, guess how much more "minimal" the difference will be between a 1080p and a QHD screen on 5 inch size? that is if you will be able to tell it without you knowing which is which.

So why are some members hostile about it or do not want it? Because it's no longer a huge or decent improvement, it's just nothing but a numbers game, where we are all fooling ourselves arguing we have something better when in fact we can't see it . That and currently it seems likely that it will be more of a negative thing affecting battery life and performance though I admit we still have yet to see.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a future where tech improvements are nothing but insignificant numbers that we can't use. Technology exists so we can benefit from it, it is not a tool for marketing or advertising.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-05-30 16:18 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
MartenR
HTC One
Joined: Apr 01, 2013
Posts: 313
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 17:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ramu something's telling me that you already know everything about Z3 but you are playing it safe to prevent last year's mess. Could you tell us everything you know?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Joined: Dec 27, 2006
Posts: > 500
From: Johannesburg, South Africa
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 17:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-05-30 17:07:45, reeflotz wrote:

On 2014-05-30 16:10:57, Tsepz_GP wrote:

I don't get why all the hostility with QHD displays in phones.



there is a limit to how much the human eye can see, and there's already minimal sharpness difference between a 5 inch 1080p screen and a 5 inch 720p screen, guess how much more "minimal" the difference will be between a 1080p and a QHD screen on 5 inch size? that is if you will be able to tell it without you knowing which is which.

So why are some members hostile about it or do not want it? Because it's no longer a huge or decent improvement, it's just nothing but a numbers game, where we are all fooling ourselves arguing we have something better when in fact we can't see it . That and currently it seems likely that it will be more of a negative thing affecting battery life and performance though I admit we still have yet to see.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a future where tech improvements are nothing but insignificant numbers that we can't use. Technology exists so we can benefit from it, it is not a tool for marketing or advertising.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-05-30 16:18 ]



We've seen HD720 and HD1080 come in and neither one had a bad effect on battery, what we've seen is panels get more refined and power efficient so what makes you think that will all suddenly change with QHD? There's far too much at stake for that to be allowed to happen.

These are the same old arguments that we saw when HD720P panels came in, and even when Apple launched the iPhone 4 with the 'Retina Screen' and all the negativity people expected was shot down as the panels were efficient.

If we want to talk about needs, and what is really necessary then an argument can be made for a lot of things in smartphones.
Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max Midnight Green
Tablet: iPad Air 2 Space Gray
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droids: Huawei P30 Pro & Samsung Galaxy Note8
reeflotz
Hazel
Joined: Jun 15, 2010
Posts: > 500
From: Philippines
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If it is efficient at QHD resolution, then it simply means it will be more efficient if it is 1080p only, which translates to better battery life, getting you more usage time on a single charge, and that is at the cost of what? pretty much almost none because I highly doubt you would still be able to pinpoint which screen is sharper like I said in my previous post.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
-XYZ
Model not set
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I chalk the decline in sales as being caused by Sony f**cking the launch of the Z2 up completely. What with it being delayed for so long and all. If Sony don't f**k it up with the Z3 things should be OK again.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2014-05-30 17:07 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
Joined: Sep 13, 2011
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The shipment figures are for January to March so no major impact of Z2 delay. Z2 delay impact would only be seen in Q2 numbers
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Deja vu, isn't it? People arguing about how this higher res in the same screen size would have visually no difference and would be more power hungry than the lower, "acceptable" res. Then it comes out and people are amazed by how wrong they were.

We all think they are crazy for making and fitting these new yet "unreasonable, useless" tech in their new phones. If they had stayed on 720p, dual-core, 1 GB RAM, 2100 mAh phones until today and sold it at the same price as their flagships when a QHD, octa-core, 4 GB RAM, 3500 mAh phone would cost the same, now that would be really shitty. Now, if they sold it at a lower price as low as it should, MUCH MORE people would buy it and I don't think manufacturers can adapt to such demand. Plus they just left the higher price range blank. Oppo can do it because they need to gain popularity in the world market while gaining less, and because they are not as popular as the top brands, they won't need to worry about too much demand they can't handle. It's a slow, high risk process for small companies trying to grow to a bigger one. And when they get big and popular enough to battle with the top dogs, pretty sure their prices would be as high as these top companies now not just to compete fairly but balance supply and demand.

They are making these products with all these new techs because they have reason, not just marketing reasons. I'm pretty sure their engineers and R&D team know what they are doing and why.
[ This Message was edited by: itsjustJOH on 2014-05-30 17:17 ]
reeflotz
Hazel
Joined: Jun 15, 2010
Posts: > 500
From: Philippines
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
^

And that is the whole other point of the argument on why some members like me do not see the point in further increasing the screen resolution because it will introduce further costs on R&D. Money which in my opinion is better spent elsewhere rather than this decreasing benefit from increasing screen resolution.

I'm pretty sure their engineers and R&D team know what they are doing and why.


Depends, if your boss tells you to make something that will print the company money whether it is something truly beneficial or not, the engineers pretty much don't have a choice. sad but it happens. This is why you see internal conflicts in a company, with people resigning etc. Anyway we are going too offtopic. Someone please post a rumor
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-05-30 17:47 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
MNX1024
Model not set
Joined: Jul 08, 2009
Posts: 407
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
All I'm going to do is quote Henry Ford:

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said ‘faster horses.’"
AbhiD999
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
Posts: 215
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-05-30 18:15:59, itsjustJOH wrote:
Deja vu, isn't it? People arguing about how this higher res in the same screen size would have visually no difference and would be more power hungry than the lower, "acceptable" res. Then it comes out and people are amazed by how wrong they were.

We all think they are crazy for making and fitting these new yet "unreasonable, useless" tech in their new phones. If they had stayed on 720p, dual-core, 1 GB RAM, 2100 mAh phones until today and sold it at the same price as their flagships when a QHD, octa-core, 4 GB RAM, 3500 mAh phone would cost the same, now that would be really shitty. Now, if they sold it at a lower price as low as it should, MUCH MORE people would buy it and I don't think manufacturers can adapt to such demand. Plus they just left the higher price range blank. Oppo can do it because they need to gain popularity in the world market while gaining less, and because they are not as popular as the top brands, they won't need to worry about too much demand they can't handle. It's a slow, high risk process for small companies trying to grow to a bigger one. And when they get big and popular enough to battle with the top dogs, pretty sure their prices would be as high as these top companies now not just to compete fairly but balance supply and demand.

They are making these products with all these new techs because they have reason, not just marketing reasons. I'm pretty sure their engineers and R&D team know what they are doing and why.
[ This Message was edited by: itsjustJOH on 2014-05-30 17:17 ]


What abt having a 5" screen with 4K resolution ?
Maybe even 8K resolution some yrs later!
AbhiD999
Sony Xperia Z1
Joined: Oct 28, 2012
Posts: 215
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 18:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-05-30 17:36:10, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2014-05-30 17:07:45, reeflotz wrote:

On 2014-05-30 16:10:57, Tsepz_GP wrote:

I don't get why all the hostility with QHD displays in phones.



there is a limit to how much the human eye can see, and there's already minimal sharpness difference between a 5 inch 1080p screen and a 5 inch 720p screen, guess how much more "minimal" the difference will be between a 1080p and a QHD screen on 5 inch size? that is if you will be able to tell it without you knowing which is which.

So why are some members hostile about it or do not want it? Because it's no longer a huge or decent improvement, it's just nothing but a numbers game, where we are all fooling ourselves arguing we have something better when in fact we can't see it . That and currently it seems likely that it will be more of a negative thing affecting battery life and performance though I admit we still have yet to see.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a future where tech improvements are nothing but insignificant numbers that we can't use. Technology exists so we can benefit from it, it is not a tool for marketing or advertising.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2014-05-30 16:18 ]



We've seen HD720 and HD1080 come in and neither one had a bad effect on battery, what we've seen is panels get more refined and power efficient so what makes you think that will all suddenly change with QHD? There's far too much at stake for that to be allowed to happen.

These are the same old arguments that we saw when HD720P panels came in, and even when Apple launched the iPhone 4 with the 'Retina Screen' and all the negativity people expected was shot down as the panels were efficient.

If we want to talk about needs, and what is really necessary then an argument can be made for a lot of things in smartphones.


Battery size too increased very much with every new bump in resolution.
The very 1st lot of HD and Full HD smartphones had average battery life. It took almost 2 flagship cycles by manufacturers to make these flagship phones more efficient!
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
Joined: Jul 23, 2012
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 19:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@reeflotz I don't know but I think this is just the front page. I mean their R&D, most likely, are working on something bigger but because they need funding they have the lower divisions of the R&D and the engineering team improve the current products, unreasonable or unnecessary just so they can sell them to create money for the bigger researches. But of course money for the whole company, primarily for the big bosses.


On 2014-05-30 18:48:39, MNX1024 wrote:
All I'm going to do is quote Henry Ford:

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said ‘faster horses.’"


Quite sums it all up.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
Joined: Sep 13, 2011
Posts: > 500
PM
Posted: 2014-05-30 19:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Strange why we have so many posts on this issue. You all do realize sony is using a QHD panel for its 2015 flagship ? So where does that leave all these arguments against QHD displays. Point is a company in a position like Sony needs to stay on par with competition or a step ahead and not go back to the old sony Ericsson era.

And from what info i have, QHD display won't be the only thing that would be behind the competition on the Z3. It's really sad and intriguing at the same time.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 227228229 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic