Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Xperia Z1

Previous  123 ... 342343344 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-02-10 13:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@moogoo I have reinstalled it and same issue, I hate LTE data so no problem there. I never had to have it upload to the cloud in order to work so I am not sure why this is happening. Oh well, whatever.

I went ahead and tested all 3 cameras today, almost 800 megs worth of photos and I will try to post up the originals but this will take a while.

But so far I have noticed that the perfectly clear app doesn't sharpen the photos as much as the stock and cameraMX.

Zooming in close to see the pixels and for me the stock camera wins out with more details, it's not a lot more but it feels smoother, next would be perfectly clear and finally cameraMX. The one problem with the stock camera is focus, sharpness and movement. During the test the focus was set to multifocus and metering was average. I feel I should have used touch to focus but I can test that another time. In such shots where the stock camera doesn't focus correctly or you move your hand ever so slightly, the image becomes poor and the other 2 apps win with focus and sharpness, especially perfectly clear app.

Noise levels are not equal, the stock app has too much of it even at low ISOs like 200. But comparing one photo it seems that the 2 apps, MX and perfectly clear took the photos at ISO 50 vs 200 for the stock which I set, so the extra noise is my fault and not the camera. So in the end noise seems to go up rather quickly in the stock camera vs the other 2 apps but at ISO50 the noise is controlled rather well in the stock camera. It starts to appear at 100 and at 200 is very noticeable and this needs to be fixed.

HDR shots are very different, I can't seem to find it in cameraMX so I just compared stock and perfectly clear. The stock HDR app works like crap sometimes not even adding any changes. Where as the perfectly clear app HDR works like a treat with 2 options, normal HDR and artistic. The artistic HDR sometimes looks way too weird but has it's pluses at times. The normal HDR mode on the perfectly clear app is much better than what Sony has, but you have to be really still to take good photos with it. I am sure the stock app takes multiple photos to achieve HDR shots but perhaps the difference in exposure is not enough, whereas in the perfectly clear app I can see it taking the varying exposures and they are quite polar opposites. This is what my NEX does, so this aspect needs to be migrated over to the stock app. Perhaps I am using the stock HDR app wrong.

I know Sony could easily improve the camera to where it is the top camera phone among android devices but I feel the imaging division is holding this potential back.

To quickly sum up what I noticed regarding the stock app at least in my test.
1. noise levels go up quickly after ISO100 and at 200 are very noticeable
2. HDR is not that great, could be better
3. Focus can be hard at times, so best to use low ISO50-100 and touch to focus
4. zoomed in, the pixels seem smoother and less choppy as compared to the other apps.
5. the jpeg compression is fine and the file sizes are even larger or the same as the other 2 apps, it's the noise that needs fixing.
6. Image size I am ranging anywhere from 5.4 up to 7.3MB, average I feel is about 6ish MB per photo which is not bad.

What will be interesting will be what the 4.4 update brings to the camera, as currently the 136 update brought no camera firmware update it is still at f500.

Perhaps the arrival of RAW support on android will release the potential of the camera on the Z1 but that won't happen until the major release, so whatever is after 4.4.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-02-11 20:37
Ok here are the images, with a little test, some are easy but who knows

Full set of photos and originals are on flickr, all photos are unedited and have the information regarding which app and iso, if it has no app name, then it means it is stock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59117758@N02/

ok here are the test images

http://postimg.org/image/jb22j6igd/

http://postimg.org/image/ueh3b1ect/

http://postimg.org/image/vbnijwpv1/

http://postimg.org/image/9y62st431/

http://postimg.org/image/usifamygd/

http://postimg.org/image/clvj35x4d/

http://postimg.org/image/jdly60m3x/

I tried uploading them to the esato but they are PNG, so the image quality was not affected when I saved them. judge them by the test or by the photos on flickr You can use the links above to look at the test images or the small thumbnails below, just click on them to see larger size.

[ This Message was edited by: ascariss on 2014-02-11 19:41 ]
scwam2
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-02-12 16:38

On 2014-02-10 12:58:55, Del wrote:
@XperiaJunkie I've got the official dock and it works a treat with no case but when I change the adapter to use with a case it just doesn't fit, and from what I've read on the Sony support forum and xda the official Roxfit case that is supposed to work with the dock doesn't

@moogoo it's a bit more complicated than just measuring the dock and the cases as there's no reference to start with.

Anyway cheers guys I hope someone else will be along that knows of a case that fits

This may help you. Maybe not since I'm in China and ordered it within China. It fits perfectly on the standard (small adaptor) where the phone is meant to be charged naked. The fit it snug but it fits with a slight amount of toggling. I paid half the price he's charging now. He also includes (hard to find) a decent rear screen protector that fits very well. http://trade.taobao.com/trade[....]J5qzNt&tradeID=452207887720788
[ This Message was edited by: scwam2 on 2014-02-12 15:49 ]
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-12 18:38

On 2014-02-12 16:38:45, scwam2 wrote:

On 2014-02-10 12:58:55, Del wrote:
@XperiaJunkie I've got the official dock and it works a treat with no case but when I change the adapter to use with a case it just doesn't fit, and from what I've read on the Sony support forum and xda the official Roxfit case that is supposed to work with the dock doesn't

@moogoo it's a bit more complicated than just measuring the dock and the cases as there's no reference to start with.

Anyway cheers guys I hope someone else will be along that knows of a case that fits

This may help you. Maybe not since I'm in China and ordered it within China. It fits perfectly on the standard (small adaptor) where the phone is meant to be charged naked. The fit it snug but it fits with a slight amount of toggling. I paid half the price he's charging now. He also includes (hard to find) a decent rear screen protector that fits very well. http://trade.taobao.com/trade[....]J5qzNt&tradeID=452207887720788
[ This Message was edited by: scwam2 on 2014-02-12 15:49 ]

The clear case looks ok.
I like Googles attempt to translate the page in to english (in Chrome Browser): "Do not shoot cottage phone handsets this section is not suitable for cottage"
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-02-12 20:45
^opened the link just to look for that. Lol
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-12 21:46
I ended up ordering this one it arrived today and fits well, plus it works with the dock

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151145761604?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-13 20:54
Hi all has anyone heard of "Crystalusion Liquid Glass" I was having a look through clove.co.uk and come across this product from what I can tell I may be an alternative to a screen protector as it made using nano coating tech helping to protect your phone against dirt, oil, dust, abrasion and even bacteria as it is medical grade used by the NHS it also claims to help cover up scratches and scuff marks.

I have copied all the info to read below, would be great if anyone can give an insight if this would be any good as an alternative screen protector.t is only priced @ £7.20 so it isn't expensive either I

Crystalusion Liquid Glass Overview
Liquid Glass is a revolutionary new product from Crystalusion. It provides protection from all types of harmful elements for almost any surface. Its formula, developed with nano-technology, protects surfaces from dirt, oil, dust, abrasion and bacteria for up to 12 months.

Due to its unique application method Crystalusion is guaranteed to provide a 100% bubble free protective coating that will not degrade viewing quality or affect touchscreen sensitivity

Crystalusion Liquid Glass is made of silica molecules, the main compound of glass and the most abundant mineral on Earth, suspended in ethanol. When applied to your device, the silica molecules naturally bond forming an ultra thin (100 nanometre) barrier against dirt, dust, oil, fingerprints, abrasions and bacteria. Each molecule is 500 times thinner than a human hair!

As Liquid Glass only uses Silica molecules it is great for humans having been certified as food safe and also for the environment, unlike other screen protection technologies that use non biodegradable plastics. The unique nature of the coating also provides antimicrobial protection as bacteria find it especially difficult to replicate on the surface. Hospitals in the UK have been using the technology and it has received the 'NHS Smart Solutions Award'.

Crystalusion is:

Antibacterial/Antimicrobial – which means it does not support the development of bacteria. When bacteria comes in contact with a treated surface it is not able to divide and therefore dies.

Oleophobic – which means it repels dirt/oil. This includes the residue left from touching a coated product with fingers, causing finger print marks. Fingerprints on the coated surface cannot stick to the Crystalusion layer – which means they can be cleaned off with minimal wiping in comparison to an untreated surface, making a treated product quicker and easier to keep clean.

Hydrophobic – which means it repels water. As water molecules are larger than the matrix which makes up the liquid glass layer they are not able to penetrate it. Because the layer is exceptionally smooth water isn’t able to easily adhere to the surface. This is particularly beneficial if you wear glasses in a swimming pool. Crystalusion does not make electronic equipment waterproof.

Anti-Abrasion - Crystalusion forms a nanolayer of liquid glass over the treated surface. This liquid glass layer is exceptionally smooth and very hard so it is able to withstand scratching to a higher degree than most untreated surfaces. It is designed to withstand day to day abrasion and reduce the likelihood of scratch damage.

The box contains two sachets. Inside the first is an ethanol wipe to clean your device. The second contains the Liquid Glass wipe which should be used on your device until dry.

The fantastic thing about this is that Liquid Glass can be used on any device of any shape without the potential or bubbles like traditional screen protectors. It can also protect the casing, not just the screen of the device. You need not just apply Crystalusion to electronics, it can also protect items like glasses.

Once applied Liquid Glass is invisible to the naked eye and your device will only ever need the quickest of wipe downs to look like new.

Think of this like an invisible screen protector. It does the same job, with the need to re-coat every 6-12 months, like you would with a screen protector.

Crystalusion Liquid Glass Features
Nano thin Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) protective layer
Invisible to the naked eye
Quick and easy to apply
Bubble free
Provides antimicobial protection
Resistant to water and oil based substances (hydrophobic & oleophobic)
Visibly improves existing minor scuffs and scratches
Reduces finger marks, dust and provides an easy to clean wipe down surface
Resistant to acid and alkaline
Average 12 month lifespan (dependent upon usage)

HERE IS A PROMO VIDEO AS WELL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]=player_embedded&v=I2JfspNxrS4
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2014-02-13 19:58 ]
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Lunion
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-15 17:02
I still haven't received my new firmware update...

My phone seems to be an O2UK branded phone.

Anyone on O2 received the update or is it only me missing out?
If you live in a glass house, don't be chuckin stuff about.
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-15 17:49
^ I work for O2 and my Z1 is branded and they are currently testing the latest firmware.142 as this brings further stability and performance upgrades aswell as the features like white balance and BT music streaming. I also spoke to our resident Sony rep although he couldn't confirm when KITKAT will be out for the Z1 he did say it was in the last build stage of development so not long he thinks fingers crossed
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Lightspeed_x
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-02-16 22:07
It's certified already http://www.ptcrb.com/vendor/c[....]equest_guest.cfm?modelid=24331
[ This Message was edited by: Lightspeed_x on 2014-02-16 21:08 ]
Xperia Z2 4.4.2 Kitkat
samven582
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2014-02-17 17:26

On 2013-09-08 01:04:54, DACHA wrote:

On 2013-09-08 00:53:58, moogoo wrote:
another US retailer has listed Z1 LTE for sale. Not sure if it's gray market or official (though at this price it better be official) but something to look into:

$839 USD
http://www.mobicity.com/sony-[....]rkCFU6Z4Aod2FQAlg#.UiutddK1GzM

ShopBLT has the HSPA+ version for $ 704, Same price as PC nation

http://www.shopblt.com/item/s[....]-z1-c6902/sonyer_12768731.html

C6906 LTE nowhere to be found!! Not a good sign.

Since all the LTE Z1`s support LTE band 4 (needed for T-Mobile LTE) it would be lame if C6906 becomes T-Mobile exclusive since it is the only model that will work on AT&T LTE network.
[ This Message was edited by: DACHA on 2013-09-08 00:19 ]

They are selling the US version of the C6906
http://www.shopblt.com/item/s[....]martphone/sonyer_12767850.html
Big_D
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2014-02-18 00:10
I'm Currently using the Xperia Z1s T-Mobile USA version, C6916. and got a few questions

now I previously listed some problems with the Z1s, that I hope will get sorted out/fixed in an update.

1) Intermittent Unresponsive Touchscreen. Most of the time, my screen doesn't know what I want to hold and drag or zoom in on a webpage. trying to hold and drag icons on the home-screen can get frustrating as well.

2) while charging, both the orange light and the green light lights up, but normal when red (20% or less) or green (90% +) is on.

3) Both front and rear Camera have lot of noise in the photos.

4) Now this is on a specific app. Using Facebook Messenger, I can't use the "Record Voice" option without it either freezing and force exit, or it didn't record and send the recorded message. Even though I can hold it as long as I wanted, up to 1 min of recorded, tested in 5 to 15 sec intervals as well. it didn't post my recorded message. I used my old Xperia M and L, and it works fine. On the Xperia Z1s, I even use the voxer app to record voice messages anywhere from 5 sec to 1 min duration, and it actually records everything.
I wonder if it's a Facebook Messenger issues with 4.3 android or that it only happens to Xperia Z1s. fyi, both Xperia M and L are 4.2.2 JB Android. my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is 4.1.2 JB and it works fine as well.

4) ADT Pulse app, does not show button or main screen, but still able to work.

Now I'm hoping these are all software issues that would soon be fix with an update.

but that's not the main problem here. Question is does the Xperia Z1 C6902, C6903 and C6906 unlocked also have such issues?
Why I'm asking, my sister wants a new Xperia phones, and while she could've get the Z1s, I hope it'll be better for her to get the Z1 unlocked, but wondering if it have the same issues as the Z1s?

T-mobile USA network.
Xperia x10i unlocked + 32GB / Xperia Neo
Xperia TX LT29i
Xperia Z C6606
Xperia L C2104
Xperia M Dual C2004
Currently using Xperia Z1s C6916 (T-Mobile USA)
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-18 03:29
BigD .. here are my thoughts.

1) do you have calloused fingertips? Mine are and I notice it disturbs the touch sensitivity. treating the callouses to soften them up helps. Weird, but it helped me. Could be a Z1s issue though? i dunno, but my Z1 doesn't have issues as long as I keep my fingertips callous free

2) Never had this LED indicator issue. It has always shown the correct colors.

3) don't know what you mean by "a lot of noise" but Z1 produces pretty good photos. Take a look at the photo thread and compare. If yours are much worse than those posted there, then perhaps there's an issue? Could be resolved via update though.

4) Don't use the facebook messenger app so i can't help ya there.

5) What's ADT Pulse? I guess I don't use this either.

If your sister wants an xperia, i'd get an unlocked one. why be tied to a carrier!? the price is similar anyway..
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
nilho
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-02-18 10:11
for the screen protector, i am using the Gearmaxx C6906 ultra clear (reference only). based on my experience, it is a good one to protect the screen and so I am sharing it with you all. just my opinion....cheers
[ This Message was edited by: nilho on 2014-02-18 09:14 ]
Lunion
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-02-19 13:20
@XperiaJunkie wow. Thank you for the response. Yeah I keep checking every day. I hope KitKat isn't *that* far away.

On a side note, O2 just gave me a 4G update for free. Just can't receive 4G signal in my town. I just hope that isn't too far away.
[ This Message was edited by: Lunion on 2014-02-19 12:20 ]
If you live in a glass house, don't be chuckin stuff about.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 342343344 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic