Previous  123 ... 909192 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
Geoffxx
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 06:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2013-09-15 04:23:13, unknownC151A wrote:
The one who started spreading that the Z1 uses the leftovers panels from the Z and ZL is total bullshit.
I can confirm no such thing occurred.
Practically, if you think about it, how Triluminos works is by emitting a blue LED light into this quantum dots of reds and greens.
Conventional LCD screens like the one that canes with the Z have its white LED shine past the RGB panel.
So if that donkey "source" is correct, Sony have to tear open the leftovers, modify the existing panel for it to be compatible for the blue LED.
It's simply not practical, or perhaps, pure stupidity.

you are correct and I've already argued that point- in fact it would be cheaper to bin them that rework them
evilhomura89
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 07:10
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA5MDU2NTIw.html

A chinese video comparison on the screen (z vs z1 vs zu)
Z1 is the brightest of them all
ZappyDen
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 07:24
Z1 display quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e8bg4vcW2w
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 07:39
One thing I've noticed though, is that the Z1 screen displays true milky whites Even the Z Ultra doesn't produce milky whites.

Surprisngly it shares a lot of display characteristics with the Flagship Triluminos 1080p Bravia W900 series

- Pure Milky Whites
- High native Contrast Ratio
- Slight contrast loss at extreme angles
- Color temperature and calibration
- Very fast panel response time

P.S. I'm only trying to say that some display characteristics match and not saying in any way that the Z1 is anywhere as good as a W900 Bravia. It really isn't. W900 is a few too many levels above the Z1 or any other mobile display
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-09-15 07:07 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-15 07:56
W900 was a TV i wanted to upgrade to.. until sony announced their 4Ks..

now, i'll wait a year or two until the 4Ks drop in price and grab one of those..

imagine when they perfect 3D viewing and implement it on 4K TVs.. man.. that will be simply amazing!
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:05
3D is already perfect on 4K BRAVIAs. Trust me, you won't see better 3D on any other set.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:09
well i'm sure the picture is great. i'm talking about the actual experience. i think it could be better .. plus there isn't a lot of high quality content for 3D viewing except for a handful of movies.. (pacific rim.. AWESOMENESS)..

anyway, back to the Z1..

I am envious of all those who have one already or are getting one this week. I hope to have one in my hands by mid october .. the end of october at the latest. Hopefully it's C6906.. and if it has to be C6903.. i sure hope there will be a free smartwatch2 on my wrist too
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:15
@Razec: I did use my fantastic Lumix but I cropped the files in Gimp and exported to Jpeg, it may not keep the info this way...?

I also rotated the second one and I found after the upload that my crop should have been smaller. I can share the original file of Esato under water if needed.

Sorry the review is not all positive. There are some unexpected good things though, like pixel binning and stabilisation, but unfortunately Sony staff knowledge of the product was more than deceiving. They do not go the extra mile to promote it.

So yes, Kaz, still a few things to fix at Sony mobile, without wanting to be presomptuous.
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:24
weird.. dunno why it double posted.

anyway.. @shotokan - seems the only negatives you thought were the thickness of the Z1 and the placement of the camera lens.. both of which were personal preference it seems. I just measured my XS and it is about 8.5mm at the slimmest point, which is where the camera button is. It feels comfortable to me and i think i have fat ass fingers!

I can understand the lens positioning being an issue, but not something that would deter me.

Of course.. i don't live in Japan.. and you, being there, have many more options for phones. Though it's through docomo, which is like the evil verizon here in the states. Obviously, you should get what suits you best. But I liked your review. Also, I always find that just because they are employees, it doesn't mean they know everything there is to know. They're just the low level foot soldiers.
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-15 07:29 ]
moogoo
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:24

Sorry the review is not all positive. There are some unexpected good things though, like pixel binning and stabilisation, but unfortunately Sony staff knowledge of the product was more than deceiving. They do not go the extra mile to promote it.

No problem matey I assure you this happens in my place as well, they know only the things that would matter for an average joe, such as the fact that it has a 20mp camera, a 5" screen and etc, not everyone is interested at digging further details that they would find as insignificant. Of course we would find these perplexed details bothering but unless every mobile phone owners are as geeky as we are then that'll be a different story
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-09-15 07:26 ]
10 years at Esato
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:30
who you calling a geek razec!?
moogoo
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 08:53
@Moogoo and Razec: Sure, I can understand not everyone in Sony can know everything...
They probably have one to several product launch a week...
I am just disapointed that they made the phone call and could not find one internal geek (with all due respect) within Sony mobile with the answer. This is why I think they should hire a couple of guys on this forum: they already go the extra mile and would work like 10 within Sony...

@Razec: In our case, we should say the average Taro.

@Mogoo: We have more Japanese options, but more limitations as well. You have more non-Japanese options and less limitations/lock. With snapdragon 800 compatibility with many bands, maybe I will be able to buy a foreign unlocked sony phone and put my japanese sim into it. More expensive, but no docomo logo.
But I will survive with one of the options i have at the moment, including waiting for Z2: it is just a phone after all!

Also, my negatives are very personal indeed, and the phone is outstanding for everything that can be compared to other flagships. If my opinion can be useful for Sony, i prefer write it here. And it seems some of the issues will be gone with Z2, fingers crossed.
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
Jubei1
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 09:02

The one who started spreading that the Z1 uses the leftovers panels from the Z and ZL is total bullshit.
Practically, if you think about it, how Triluminos works is by emitting a blue LED light into this quantum dots of reds and greens.
Conventional LCD screens like the one that canes with the Z have its white LED shine past the RGB panel.
So if that donkey "source" is correct, Sony have to tear open the leftovers, modify the existing panel for it to be compatible for the blue LED.

Triluminos for mobile doesnt use quantum dots. Its a software enhancement, read the white paper
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-09-15 09:06

On 2013-09-15 09:02:50, Jubei1 wrote:

Triluminos for mobile doesnt use quantum dots. Its a software enhancement, read the white paper

I couldn't find any such mention in the Whitepaper. Can you take a snap of the portion and post ?

Triluminos cannot be emulated with a software. You cannot expand the color gamut with a software.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-09-15 08:09 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-15 09:17
I think Jubei is confusing triluminos for x-reality. Triluminos is hardware.. x-reality is software.
moogoo
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 909192 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic