Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Microsoft to Buy Nokia€s Devices for 5.44 Billion Euros

Author Microsoft to Buy Nokia€s Devices for 5.44 Billion Euros
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-09-04 21:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This Story brought me back here.
Europe needs an consumer electronics brand and a smartphone plattform urgently. Even brands like b&o are struggeling hard, and the good days of Philips are gone too.
Things need to move fast, this needs to be on the agenda of the european union. We cant have all our data controled by a second party
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-04 21:36
The last British one was Sendo based in Birmingham they made a Symbian phone once
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 08:42
The inside story of when it happened and also Steve Bullmer hurt his head during a meeting on a glass table. Haha maybe that's why he's the way he is

m.wpcentral.com/read-inside-story-how-microsoft-came-buy-nokia
And MS now won a patent war against Motorola

m.wpcentral.com/microsoft-wins-14-million-patent-trial-against-motorola
Phone?? What phone??
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 10:25
Symbian was the only viable EU option .. if they wanted to be relevant in the consumer OS platform at all.

It took a while, and it took hard work to bring it down. The US blogosphere had a huge impact on the whole thing.. it was just relentless pounding against Symbian. The words "old" slow" and "outdated" did the job just fine.

If the EU had a technology department, they failed miserably in seeing the trend.

Someone had the right idea with this:

http://www.unwiredview.com/20[....]en-foundation-may-survive-now/

And if the financial sector didn't take the hit that it did in 2008... maybe it would've been different.

As far as MS and Nokia...

Nokia has been trying to avoid this take over for over 20 years, its just no one paid attention to it

http://www.theregister.co.uk/[....]nokia_microsoft_history?page=1

Symbian was a huge pain in the butt for Windows Mobile, and I think that is when they decided that it needs to go away...

Its all really sad.

I like this phone

[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2013-09-05 09:27 ]
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 19:55
Well the good thing, there is still - jolla
[ This Message was edited by: jack00 on 2013-09-05 18:56 ]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-06 00:07
Yea some of us will go for Jolla.

I hope everybody here has a look at the Jolla phone.
Agreed, its only midrange, but its the start of a new OS, and its the only way we can still enjoy some of the scandinavian way of thinking

Its time for us to be pioneers again, its for the Esatonians to choose the future.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 00:48
A part of me can't wait for something more efficient and powerful to come and replace Android. I sometimes feel like Android is always a step or two behind the hardware and so some of it is wasted, also, in Android, if you step away from the mid to high end the quality of the experience greatly deteriorates. Many of us here are lucky we can afford to get a top of the line Android atleast once a year, but the majority of the world aren't so lucky especially here in Africa and Asia.

The European handset makers like Nokia and Ericsson had realised that it's important to have a OS and UI built around and made for phones from low to high end. I remember how Nokia had both the 6120c and N95-8GB on the market, one was a low end smartphone, the other a high end Multimedia powerhouse of a smartphone with the very best hardware, yet when you used both you got the same super fast (for the time) and smooth experience, you could run many of the same apps, games and themes easily, and the experience wouldn't deteriorate, yet in Android you will use e.g. a Galaxy S4 or Xperia Z1 and get an amazing experience, then use a Galaxy Pocket or Xperia E and immedietly you're hit with 1. Not even having the same OS version as the top end, 2. many high quality popular apps being sluggish and 3. high battery drain.

I hope Jolla does pick up, I wish Sony Ericsson had stuck with Symbian UIQ, it was already so powerful and intuitive and UIQ3.1 seemed to be on the right track. One thing is for sure, Android can't be allowed to dominate so much. As much as I like Android, I feel at has grown far too big, and its competitors just arent doing enough at all. Even at its peak, Symbian S60 had Windows Mobile, Symbian UIQ and SE Java platform challenging it.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11ā€¯ 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 03:23
Yes and that's what's good with that Nokia is doing with WP. They release a budget dual core WP as cheap as chips but unlike Android you virtually get almost the same experience as the top tier WP in terms of performance except for less ram and lower camera quality. Nokia was even starting the bring back a more premium Asha phone like this one

m.gsmarena.com/nokia_515-5663.php
Phone?? What phone??
sanaqueen
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 09:17
All shearing is amazing
thanks for this nice shearing
maiaramdan
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 09:56
My view

Nokia to Microsoft will be as Motorola to Google
It will fail miserably

And honestly I got wowed that Nokia value is 5.5 billion after these last years
As I got more wowed that Microsoft put those amount of money from its own reserve for something they still don't know if it will succeed or not
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 10:55
Well,yes who is going to walk into a store and be asking for a Microsoft phone?? Majority people know Nokia for phones they won't buy Microsoft. People walk into stores these days knowing what they want so Microsoft have some serious marketing to do.
Phone?? What phone??
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-06 11:36
The most important thing is that a few ex-Nokia employees founded Newkia just when Microsoft announced theyMre buying Nokia and they want to produce Nokia phones with Android...failfailfail.
Why didn't they call it Nukia or Pukeia?
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 21:20
At least Microsoft should have continued the NOKIA brand.The NOKIA brand hasn't failed..no one really despises the brand..heck most people on Android still love NOKIA.They make great phones with great design & hardware which even some top Android makers cant do.

What people dint like is the OS NOKIA had not the Brand.I don't see how dumping the brand name NOKIA will help MS in anyway.Will people love WP just because MS makes the HW? :-\\ .All they will do is lose some valuable customers i guess.and frankly speaking,NOKIA off late has been doing fine right?even WP's overall.At least off late i know several people that have WP's..even i have couple at home

NOKIA just ran out of money at the bad time,if they could have held up longer,the could have dug themselves out.MS came in at the right place at the right time.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 23:32
Having used my favourite UIQ3, actually still using the P1i as my second phone after the S4, I can safely say that Android is nowhere near UIQ in terms of usability and efficiency.

My current favourite OS is BB10, that OS is pure power, efficiency and smoothness all rolled into one. BlackBerry managed to create what I longed for since UIQ3. Sadly, it looks like my favourite OSs fall by the wayside. UIQ webOS, Meego and now BB10.

I am also looking to see what Jolla does with their OS in a few years to come, assuming they make it.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 00:00
The BBZ10 dropped to Ā£229 @ Carphone stores recently in short space of time. It is fast and with very good multitasking. Unfortunately BB messed up the Z10 with a small battery. Q10 and Q5 are decent but Q10 is expensive. Maybe not many have taken to the changed OS??
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi