Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Should we replace "phone" into "mobile" in the shootout?

Previous  123  Next
Author Should we replace "phone" into "mobile" in the shootout?
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 12:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
With all due respect, I disagree with nearly all of your post...

On 2013-09-03 08:05:16, Ricky D wrote:
I think most people here are in agreeance.
Tablets - yes
Accessories (ranging from 'clip-on' to 'sensor + lens') - no

-I'm not sure that MOST agree and if so, may a Tablet monthly shootout should be started?
-Clip-on or static accessories bring no problem as many of us have used different lenses and whatnot to change our images.... are you suggesting that NOTHING be placed between the subject and lens? ridiculous

On 2013-09-03 08:05:16, Ricky D wrote:
I think there should be a line drawn somewhere on the in-camera effects too. The software effects that are applied before actual photo capture e.g. on Xperia Z there are a number of filters that aren't standard, things like kaleidoscope, sketch, Harris shutter. I felt a little guilty using these in one or two recent entries. Not guilty enough to not post the pics as they are within the current rules, but guilty enough to question myself and the nature of the competition.

-So, no more black and white photos either? ... If you limit one in phone capability, you have to eliminate them all to keep it fair.... and that is the benefit of certain phones all-be-it an advantage in some cases.... Do you want to limit it to 8mp images also because not all phones can capture 12, 16 or 41... this is just silly IMO.

C'mon, lets not make this a huge thing, the original question was "do we allow more than phones to be used", NOT " lets revisit every rule". As said earlier, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Its a monthly phone shootout not a monthly whatever device comes up next we add to the pile shootout. Once again, if you can NATIVELY make and receive calls from a device without dependency on a data connection, I feel that is a qualified device.

just my .02 - no hard feelings [addsig]
9_Destiny
HTC One
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-03 13:13
I agree with mlife.

We don't need to change anything in our monthly cameraphone competition. Using sepia or B/W is part of all camera's stock software in all mobile phones which I know. Besides such effect are appearing during taking the shot and it's not postproduction.

EXIF data can verify if some picture was edited in photoshop/picassa/instagram etc. or not.

I'm almost sure that new stuff from Sony will tag it's appearance in EXIF data.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 13:28
I once thought the competition goes after the results - which conveys the message, not the benchmarks, by being too rigid on certain things like post processing, just when our smartphone currently is so flexible that it can now do such feat as compared to the past times, or the use of accessory devices, we basically hinder the results, if a tool is that flexible why cap it's potential? the QX lenses is a new tech, it is built to complement mobile photographers, it was never technically a standalone camera. I don't see the point why it shouldn't be allowed. if this is Sony's way to answer those who seek quality mobile photography then why are we insisting that this tool never be used? why are some people branding such stuffs as cheating? technology is evolving, and we users should be at the forefront of this adaptation, It's kinda sad that some people are being too conservative with changes. especially if it can open further possibilities on the creativity part.
10 years at Esato
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 15:39

On 2013-09-03 12:18:05, razec wrote:
no photo post processing allowed (photoshop, android app, ios app, windows phone app are prohibited)

Wait that's just too rigid imho, what about BW/Sepia conversion? what if a certain cameraphone does not have a built in feature for monochrome photography? and suddenly a new theme calls for users to do BW. and that certain guy who wishes to join just couldn't do anything about it?

I was referring to using another app or computer program to alter the image , There's in-camera processing filters just like you mentioned BW/Sepia which still keeps the exif intact afaik, so those should be fine. I know there has been a BW theme in esato's competition and using those simple filters are necessary. I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I was referring to apps that could completely manipulate the photos' properties such as brightness/contrast/vibrance/noise etc.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-09-03 14:40 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
NOZ
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 19:08
It is very interesting as I am a novice in photography mobile user .... besides being new to Esato ... but I have a question since my Xperia P with android 4.1.2 has different filters and a very interesting one called my little world is round and the photograph taken after ...... I can part with it? Here some samples:

http://www.esato.com/phonepho[....]hotos.php?pid=71665&uid=212870

http://www.esato.com/phonepho[....]hotos.php?pid=71254&uid=212870

http://www.esato.com/phonepho[....]hotos.php?pid=71400&uid=212870
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 21:30
I think we're just over complicating what is essentially a really simple rule. It has to be taken by a mobile phone. Meaning, the camera built into the device. So, not clip on cameras with their own optics and sensors, no tablets, nothing.

With the way things are going with smart watches, cameras like the Galaxy camera, these clip on lenses, If we start bending the rules to allow such devices in before we know it the competition wont resemble anything mobile any more.

Also, how could you allow an iPad to enter, when the EXIF data does not say whether it has 3G connectivity or just humble WIFI ?
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-03 22:55
@NOZ. We always allowed preprocessing like Scenes/White balance/Sepia. All these things are there for you to make a better photo. Doing things to your photo after you pressed the shutter button are not allowed.

Thanks everyone for your reactions. Please continue
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-06 03:26
For the record, when using a the new Sony accessories to take photos the "Camera" field in the exif will NOT show the smartphone model but the accessory model i.e. DSC-QX10 or DSC-QX100.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 17:11
I thought it would
I would like to rule them out of the shootout for now.
I think tablets are out also... maybe next year
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 22:49
Could you not just run a second competition ? one for mobile phones, one for anything - even DSLR cameras ??
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-06 23:20
That would be a solution but I'm not interested to do it.
Most reactions towards change in the shootout are negative. Thats why I leave it as it was.
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-06 23:30
DSLR shootout would be nice as long as there are a significant number of photographers around here.
And Hihihans has enough work to do soI think someone else can run this competition.
Just a thought.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-07 04:41
DSLR or just any camera? Would be an interesting competition but would it detract from the mobile comp? And is esato the proper venue for such a competition?
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 12:00
I don't think esato is the place for a "any camera shootout".
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-07 12:47
Well, not really.
But, if enough people want to have it, then we should have it.
Can a poll be made on this question?
So that people could vote for or against any camera competition?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi