Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Reuters: Nokia could burn through its cash as soon as next year

Previous  12
Author Reuters: Nokia could burn through its cash as soon as next year
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-07-05 03:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Calling WP crap is borderline fanboyish behavior.. don't do that..

Its a solid OS that needs work, just like any other out there. Technically WP is at version 1.0 right now since they are using a completely different core with WP8 compared to 7..

Do you remember android 1.0 ?

It was an awful piece of software. And even to this day its still a hack job with its java VM machine.. its not as clean as it should be. Nokia showed everyone how a Linux distro should work on a mobile device with Maemo/MeeGo + QT .. a much better implementation compared to Google's.

And.. android is nothing more than an advertising distributional platform for Google. It was a very cool project before Google bought it... personally, I try to stay away from it. A good camera phone by Sony, or an American made Motorola are the only two temptations for me..

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-05 16:09

On 2013-07-05 03:38:23, cu015170 wrote:
Calling WP crap is borderline fanboyish behavior.. don't do that..

Its a solid OS that needs work, just like any other out there. Technically WP is at version 1.0 right now since they are using a completely different core with WP8 compared to 7..

Do you remember android 1.0 ?

It was an awful piece of software. And even to this day its still a hack job with its java VM machine.. its not as clean as it should be. Nokia showed everyone how a Linux distro should work on a mobile device with Maemo/MeeGo + QT .. a much better implementation compared to Google's.

And.. android is nothing more than an advertising distributional platform for Google. It was a very cool project before Google bought it... personally, I try to stay away from it. A good camera phone by Sony, or an American made Motorola are the only two temptations for me..

Unfortunately WP is not at 1.0 ... its already had 2 iterations ... 7/7.1/7.5 ... that latter two I'm referring to. Also it's had time to add features that are expected to be common place (and expected by all users of various platforms) since its iteration. This is why even though I love BB10 as a mobile OS it still pails in comparison to so many features that once made BlackBerry king in terms of mobile messaging. Same deal is being dealt to WP.

Does anyone know what WP8 will look like or bring to the hand? (I wanted to say bring to the table but we use our smartphones in hand ).

I'll agree with Maemo ... and did you know that BB10 actually uses QML (or QT which is the programing environment, QML is the language) for its native apps - called "Cascades" ?
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-07-05 16:53
7.x and 6.x were all based on Windows CE, windows phone 8 is based on Windows NT, which is why its 1.0

Windows CE is legitimately up to 7.5 since development started in the 90s.

If you really get down to it Windows Phone 8 should be version 6.2 , which is what Windows NT is, but the difference between the desktop OS and the mobile OS is significant enough to where I think its more like 1.0

The networking stack alone and the power management around that are big enough challenges...

BB10 is the closest OS to Symbian. Both run on real time kernels.. and overall a very modern approach on a system level. All the other ones are either monoliths or hybrids.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-07-05 16:56
Supa_fly

I think you mean WP8.1 OR 9? WP8 has been out since last year in phones such as the Lumia 920/925/928, HTC 8X, Samsung Ativ S etc...
So there's been WP7, 7.1, 7.5 and 8.

It is quite shocking to see MS looking like a novice in an industry they've been in for over a decade. They've had THREE attempts now, 1st with Windows Mobile, 2nd with the D.O.A Kin phones and 3rd with Windows Phone, and each time it seems they just can't get a break.

IMO, MS were simply too slow to move when the iPhone came in, and just as they were looking at the iPhone, Android landed and took ALL their WM partners with it. Same with Nokia, simply too slow to move.

Nokia had their chance, THERE was Maemo and eventually MeeGo. I remember simply drooling at the thought of getting the Nokia N900, they had a masterpiece of an OS there, in came Elop and scrapped it all.

Personally I was excited about WP at 1st, but soon lost enthusiasm when it was revealed how much like iOS it was trying to be and the tons of features it lacked. WP8 brought a lot to WP, and WP is now quite a decent OS, but it's still so behind in specs and there is simply not enough differentiation between the phones, sure the Nokias have their apps and Cameras, but those two simply aren't enough to differentiate them, so IMO, awful idea to hire Elop, he has, IMO, ruined a great company and the next CEO, if Nokia stays, is going to have one hell of a mess to clean up.

Would be sad to see them go.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-05 18:00
I clearly stand corrected and was mis-informed until today. Many thanks gentleman!!

So the next OS for Microsoft is WP9 in the mobile space? Heck I didn't even know WinCE was still being used by M$ in phones, I thought they abolished that years ago.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-07-07 14:03
Got to play with my dads HTC 8x again after some time. I just cant understand what exactly the casual smart phone users are missing in WP from Android!

Its really stupid to see those massive Android crowds that just live around Whatsapp/FB and clicking pictures blindly diss WP .
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-07-07 17:43
Saying windows is only on a beginning version can't be used as an argument. It could have been if there was no such thing as time, but there is, so the argument doesn't stand.

Even if it's on a relatively new iteration, iOS, and more significantly android, are not. And that's what windows is competing with.

Regardless of which OS is the best for users, currently, only android is available which can ship a lot of units which Nokia can embrace.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi