Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Sony SmartWatch 2 SW2
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-29 06:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
woo.. can't wait to get my SW2. Being sold across europe now, but handtec has yet to get them in. sigh. hopefully, they will ship it fast like they did my Z1.

@supafly - that find your phone when it's silent is a MyXperia feature and also a feature on Android Device Management. I haven't looked too much into the latter, but with MyXperia, you can locate your phone on a map within 20 meters, assuming your phone always has location sharing/GPS on. When using stamina mode, you should make an exception for this so you can use MyXperia when the screen's been off. Anyway, in addition to locating your phone, you can also remote LOCK your phone with a new passcode and a lock message on the screen.. like address/phone number, you can make it ring for 1 full minute until you can find it, and worst case, you can wipe the entire phone clean of your personal data. I've tested all of it and it all works great. Android Device Manager is similar, I think.

the NFC thing you talked about.. with Xperias anyway, once you get in the car and tap the tag, it will launch whatever apps you want, set whatever settings you want. It's actually very flexible. It is a sony specific app though (smart tags/smart connect). I don't think other companies are embracing NFC as much as Sony is.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 11:45
Just in

connected it and it works as the old one did
[ This Message was edited by: pt020 on 2013-10-02 06:07 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 13:30
wow.. metal band looks nice.

how is the screen? is it sharp and clear?

are the capacitive touch buttons good? i kinda wish they were actual buttons..
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 14:21

On 2013-10-01 13:30:29, moogoo wrote:
wow.. metal band looks nice.

how is the screen? is it sharp and clear?

are the capacitive touch buttons good? i kinda wish they were actual buttons..

All works well,better than on videos I saw ...
Screen is bright and you can adjust it in the settings on the watch,I also like the notification bar (like in a phone) for last notifications.
White background is also better to see/read the messages
In a way SW2 is the same that SW1 and I even did not have to reinstal few apps because it uses the same SW1 apps,pity only that some apps are not adjusted to the bigger size (0.2inch) of the screen (like Navigation) ...
Metal belt looks nice but still have to make it shorter for my skinny arm.
Interface is bit different than SW1 and must say that I liked the older one more,must get used to it .
But the watch looks much better than the older one and with the metal belt you feel you have a watch on your arm and not a toy.
Had a small problem to connect it to second phone had to go to the settings (on the watch) and reset SW2 to connect to second phone...
p.s
Sunny day in Amsterdam good time to test the watch outdoors.

As you see very good in direct sunlight ( watch screen brightness is +/- 45% )
[ This Message was edited by: pt020 on 2013-10-01 15:02 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 14:52
very cool.

Sony released the new API recently, so new apps should be coming out for it soon!

Are there particularly any new features that the SW1 didn't have? Other than NFC and bigger screen..

moogoo
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 16:35

On 2013-10-01 14:52:32, moogoo wrote:
very cool.

Sony released the new API recently, so new apps should be coming out for it soon!

Are there particularly any new features that the SW1 didn't have? Other than NFC and bigger screen..

It is not only the bigger screen ... this one is just something else.
The oled screen of SW1 was useless outdoors this one is good in any conditions
and this is the biggest difference between them.
Watch is made from aluminium and glass and it feels different,thinner,better quality materials.(difficult to open usb cover) .
the watch itself is very much like the SW1,some things I liked there more, but the watch is only a mirror of the software you instal,so new things you have to ask from apps developers.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:51
The screen is visible but you can see the grid of the pixels with the screens relatively low resolution. It looks like the same poor screen from the X10 mini.

I was considering buying one of these, but from those shots im a little disappointed now.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:54

On 2013-10-01 21:51:08, etaab wrote:
It looks like the same poor screen from the X10 mini.

In which version did the X10 mini had 176x220 screen?
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:04
Do you seriously expect an answer to that ?

I'll humour you seeing as you're very bitter towards anything negative Sony related. The X10 mini had a terrible screen irrespective of its resolution. The colours were poor, the pixels massive and everything looked grainy and / or in low definition. In contrast, the X10 in its full size had a brilliant screen.

I remember a good friend buying one, comparing it to my N8's screen and being completely disgusted in how bad it was. It was like a screen from 2003.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:06
@etaab - screen could be better. but it's not probably so it can do what it should do. how often do you stare constantly at your watch? More pixels = more power = shorter battery. being able to see it and use it for more than a day without having to recharge it makes it practical as a "watch" accessory.

i think sony did a decent job balancing features to practical use. would have loved to have gps, personally. but eh.. i wouldnt go for a jog anyway!
moogoo
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:09
Which is a much better thought out reply.

This year i'd like to buy a smartwatch. Preferably the Sony as I think it looks the best and runs Android. Samsungs does not properly. Then theres other competitors which are all a bit "third party"

Screen tech is very important, especially when Apple can put a brilliant screen into their smallest iPod Nanos.
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:18
my guess is simply battery life. ipod nanos indeed have great lil screens but you end up charging them often if you have the screen on often. even music playback is at best 30 hours. just over a day and the screen isn't even on. that's a no go for a watch accessory.

for as "big" as it is, i was hoping they stuck a few more features in there with a bigger battery. to be honest, i wasn't too interested in it before, but since i'm getting one for free, i figured i'd give it a shot and if i hate it after 2 weeks, i'll ebay it or something.

Notifications and such aren't such a big deal for me. The primary reasons I'm excited is remote shutter and i love watches in general and it's about time i added a "gadget" one to my collection..
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-10-01 21:19 ]
moogoo
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:30

On 2013-10-01 22:04:25, etaab wrote:
Do you seriously expect an answer to that ?

I'll humour you seeing as you're very bitter towards anything negative Sony related. The X10 mini had a terrible screen irrespective of its resolution. The colours were poor, the pixels massive and everything looked grainy and / or in low definition. In contrast, the X10 in its full size had a brilliant screen.

I remember a good friend buying one, comparing it to my N8's screen and being completely disgusted in how bad it was. It was like a screen from 2003.

I'm not trying to be bitter towards anything negative Sony related, I'm just trying to understand what did you expect from 1,6" 176x220 transflective TFT screen in direct sunlight, rich and saturated colors?
The same applies to what you said about X10 mini screen, first you say that it was bad irrespective of its resolution then you say that everything looked grainy and low definition, well wouldn't it be because of the low resolution? You tell me.

I remember using m600 that had QVGA 2.6" screen and even 10 years ago I was thinking that it looks grainy even though it looked better than the screen of my previous device that had 1,8" screen with 176x220 resolution

And just as moogoo said, this screen is a compromise one has to make to get acceptable battery life from a watch. Most of the people change batteries in the watches every 2 years or so, so I understand how Sony wanted to make it as long lasting as possible.
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 23:07

The screen is visible but you can see the grid of the pixels with the screens relatively low resolution. It looks like the same poor screen from the X10 mini.

I was considering buying one of these, but from those shots im a little disappointed now.

You see the pixels only on camera, in real you need very good eyes for it.
For me the screen is the best part of the watch,I wish my phones screen worked as well in the sunlight as this one dose.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-02 01:22

Man you gotta rain on EVERYONE's fun-day parade? (I'm kidding you here of course). Not to worry I'll accept the grid lines for readability and 3 days minimum battery life vs Samsungs latest smartwatch which cannot even do a full day - pathetic really and its a CRAP offering!

On 2013-10-01 22:09:22, etaab wrote:
Which is a much better thought out reply.

This year i'd like to buy a smartwatch. Preferably the Sony as I think it looks the best and runs Android. Samsungs does not properly. Then theres other competitors which are all a bit "third party"

Screen tech is very important, especially when Apple can put a brilliant screen into their smallest iPod Nanos.

Took Apple several, and I do mean several years to even get to a decent screen on iPod Nano's ... plus they flip and flop over what to design them ... skinny slim, longitudinal, square, then back again to longitundinal (about 3x now). I'm not waiting for an Apple over glorified and pricey smartwatch that just has limitations slightly above Samsungs 2013 offering, not thanks!!

This definitely looks SWEET with that metal band!

Motorola had used the Smart Tags NFC feature that Sony does but then began to back away from it because it was so complex and users never used it. They've completely dumbed it down this year in the Droid Ultra Max and Moto X; but that's beyond this topics conversation of course.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic