Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Xperia Z Ultra Thread

Previous  123 ... 272829 303132  Next
Author Xperia Z Ultra Thread
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-04 06:11
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
A question arises in my head. I've decided I'm going to get the Z Ultra unlocked - so basically this:

http://store.sony.ca/xperia-z[....]d-Smartphone?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

What I'm wondering is that since my phone will be unlocked, how does this benefit me as far as updates are concerned? I imagine I won't be restricted to the horrible update schedules of the providers, but does this mean as soon as Sony releases an update globally, I can do it? Do I have to wait for regional updates? Are these normally over the air, or via PC?

Thanks for any answers!
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-11-13 21:40
Had my Z Ultra for about 2 weeks now and I can honestly say that its the best handset ive had for watching Sky Sports and movies etc on the "big screen" It has the usual Sony problem of less than stellar viewing angles but I only tend to watch things when looking straight at the display !! The other "issue" and its only a slight niggle is that the external speaker isn't very loud, I would imagine that this has something to do with the IP rating of the device. I suppose you cant have your cake and eat it.
I don't do much mobile gaming but Dead Trigger 2 on this handset is a revelation. The extra screen real estate really makes a massive difference to the controls etc.

Now if Sony could improve the absolutely dreadful camera slightly I would be really over the moon. I appreciate its not the main selling point bit is really isn't good

The other problem is that as good as it is, it really is at the limits of being a "mobile phone" and is rather difficult to handle on a daily basis.

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-11-13 21:42
I find on the Sony's that the speaker performs depending on what Walkman sound setting you have and X Loud too but often they sound awful at full volume. Have not seen the image quality of the Z Ultra yet
Phone?? What phone??
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-11-13 21:51

On 2013-11-13 21:42:48, Bonovox wrote:
I find on the Sony's that the speaker performs depending on what Walkman sound setting you have and X Loud too but often they sound awful at full volume. Have not seen the image quality of the Z Ultra yet

Don't bother with image quality Sean it really is dreadful
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-11-13 21:54
Ah,ok I take your word for it then
Phone?? What phone??
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-13 23:50
Yes the IQ is really bad.
Reminds me of my old non-af 3mp Nokia E52's camera
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-14 01:40
I placed my order for the Z Ultra and have an order in for the CP12 battery case. The ultra seems to be in stock so I'm hopeful I'll get it this week, but the case might be on a back order. I also ordered a (hopefully) oleophobic screen protector for front and back of the unit.

Can't wait to play with my new phone! I don't think I'll have any regrets about this decision, but of course there'll be a few times when I have to be a bit more wary when trying to use such a large device.

It is a shame though... if I could have ensured no colour shift when viewing at angles then I would have pushed to get the Z1. In the end my plan is to get the Z Ultra and then next year get whichever flagship is available.
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 00:11
w00t! Got my very own Z Ultra! Already slapped on the front and back screen protectors and going to get it activated to my carrier later today. T'is a big mofo

Screen is absotively glorious and it's nice and buttery smooth. The one handed operations are of course a bit hard, but that's ok. I'm wondering if the CP12 case will help with that at all. Gonna have fun with this beast
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 07:32
Someone is really happy here congratulations!
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 07:36
lol, thanks.

The phone is damned nice! I took it to a Rogers store here in Toronto to get a new SIM card and they activated everything. The phone parts work perfectly fine, but oddly enough my mobile data isn't working yet. Wifi works fine. I'm hoping it just takes a day or so for mobile data to kick in (yeah, ensured everything was turned on, tried reboot and reset button). If all else fails, will head back to the Rogers store tomorrow to figure out what's going on.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 10:47
I'm seriously considering getting this phone but the camera is a worry. Why couldn't Sony fit a decent AF camera module, even the 2 MP of the K750i sounds like a better option than what it has at the moment.

Also, people are commenting on the size of the phone in everyday use, is no-one contemplating buying the SBS-52 or are people mainly using it for watching media?

Thanks
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 11:56
The Z Ultra is the best device ive ever had for media consumption, the screen is perfect for this, unfortunately it does have 2 Achilles heels.

The first is that the device is just too big to be used as an everyday mobile phone. I was using mine with an SBH-20 and unless you are wearing a jacket on a daily basis finding somewhere to keep the Ultra becomes an issue. In the UK at this time of the year it probably wouldn't be too much of an issue because you will be needing a jacket most of the time !! it does fit in trouser pockets when standing, but when having to sit down its a lottery whether you will damage the device or not so I found it safer to remove it from my pocket before sitting.
The 2nd issue is that the camera is totally useless in low light and not much better in normal conditions. It really is a poor module that Sony have used. I cant see any firmware updates improving the camera much at all.........but I could be wrong.

It was because of the above issues that I reluctantly had to sell my Ultra. Its a top device but you really do have to make allowances for the size of it in everyday usage even when using it with a Bluetooth headset etc
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 13:08
Thanks a lot lemmy31
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-11-26 14:28
I too am seriously considering this as a replacement for my Z.

Not worried about the camera as I have a DSLR and could easily pick up a QX100 for more portable shooting. My issue is this, I already have a Tablet Z so is Z Ultra going to offer much in many scenarios that my Z and Tablet Z won't cover?

Or is the screen, performance and 'pencil' input difference over Z so great that I should just consider it a great upgrade?

Is anybody here in a similar position to me and tried it and have a comment to add?
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-11-26 15:08
^^ This has been my dilemma for a while, the screen size makes it a fully fledged tablet for media consumption and could take the place of the Tablet Z but as Ricky D mentions, the QX100 plus the Z Ultra could be the winning combination.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 272829 303132  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic