Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia Lumia 1020

Previous  123 ... 242526 ... 707172  Next
Author Nokia Lumia 1020
davidsic
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-15 21:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
A lot of pics and videos taken with the 1020 : http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/233015-pictures-video-taken-your-1020-a.html
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-08-15 21:52

On 2013-08-15 01:56:01, mlife wrote:

I'm not so sure it was a mistake, I don't look at it that way. Maybe it was Nokia's way of rewarding its true loyals with one last HOORA which they knew would take QUITE AWHILE to surpass knowing that it was the last symbian. .... one final "thank you" if you will for all of us that bought one.

Oh ya.. from our (consumer's) perspective its really great that they released it. Its an awesome smartphone.. a very elegant way of combining a good camera with a decent smartphone in a reasonably sized package. I would say its the best implementation of the idea thus far.

Like most of you here know already.. I am very happy with mine as a smartphone and as a main camera.

What I mean was that it might've been a bad idea from Nokia's business perspective. Its causing them problems in the "blogosphere" ..

First, it was the 920... I don't know if you remember, but everyone was expecting it to be on par with 808, and we all know how that went. Its no where near the 808.

Now the 1020 is much closer to the 808, but yet again.. not quite as good. If it didn't exist all of these "the best cameraphone currently on sale" statements would actually be correct... instead anyone who knows anything about photography and has seen what the 808 is capable of will tell you that the 1020 is not the best cameraphone currently on sale, the 808 is.

Either way.. I am officially putting the "pass" stamp on the 1020. Its just not ready yet.. I am going to wait until the next one, and hopefully they water proof it, add SD card support, and a bigger replaceable battery.

In terms of image quality.. I would settle for 808 grade imaging with faster shutter speeds

On 2013-08-15 00:34:15, G3ORGE wrote:

On 2013-08-14 20:31:19, cu015170 wrote:
They made a mistake by releasing the 808 to the public... it set the bar so high that now everyone expects something even better..

It ain't gonna happen anytime soon

That is true.

Considering Damian Dinning and other engineers left Nokia, I doubt there is going to be a cameraphone from Nokia that beats 808.

Nokia seems to be chasing the iPhone and Galaxy S in producing unrealistic, bad images, instead of setting trends like they did with 808. The thing is though, iPhone and Galaxy S are actually improving and moving in the opposite direction, towards better and more realistic images.
[ This Message was edited by: G3ORGE on 2013-08-14 23:35 ]

I am not sure how many people have left the imaging department, but I am sure that it has some depth to it.. couple of people leaving shouldn't affect their engineering that much.

The 1020 project wasn't easy by any means.. they had to work around all the platform limitations, add OIS to that relatively big sensor, and keep the phone as slim as possible. All and all.. very good packaging and engineering from the camera department.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2013-08-15 21:07 ]
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-16 15:15
The only problem with windows phones is a big lack of apps, they need to sort that and a few other issues out.
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-08-16 19:48
true
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 06:07
Has WP been able to support bluetooth sharing with other phones and USB mass storage? I remember the early WP versions are closed OS just like ios, but has microsoft changed things with regards to those? Because that's the reason why I steered clear of WP and would even prefer the older symbian because of those simple features that I do use a lot.

Although I do agree that another problem with WP is the lack of apps.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 10:26

On 2013-08-17 06:07:13, reeflotz wrote:
Has WP been able to support bluetooth sharing with other phones and USB mass storage? I remember the early WP versions are closed OS just like ios, but has microsoft changed things with regards to those? Because that's the reason why I steered clear of WP and would even prefer the older symbian because of those simple features that I do use a lot.

Although I do agree that another problem with WP is the lack of apps.

It's still not able to do that, You can transfer files only using Zune. That's the same reason I'm not even looking at WP seriously. Here's a fun fact. I was on a shooting range with friends, we took some photos with phones: Lumia 800, Xperia T and SGS II. Later at home we had a laptop with Windows 8 and a microUSB cable, so the idea was to put all these photos on this laptop, guess what, SGS II and Xperia T went smooth, but You can't connect WP Lumia 800 to laptop just like that, Zune is needed, and even though the laptop had the newest OS from Microsoft, it couldn't connect to it's sibling OS for phones, I mean how big of fail is that?
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 10:35
lol, thanks for the clarification , I really wish Microsoft would fix that, but then again knowing them they might probably just keep things that way.
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
TeeGee
Nokia Lumia 925
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 11:53

On 2013-08-17 10:26:19, admad wrote:

It's still not able to do that, You can transfer files only using Zune. That's the same reason I'm not even looking at WP seriously. Here's a fun fact. I was on a shooting range with friends, we took some photos with phones: Lumia 800, Xperia T and SGS II. Later at home we had a laptop with Windows 8 and a microUSB cable, so the idea was to put all these photos on this laptop, guess what, SGS II and Xperia T went smooth, but You can't connect WP Lumia 800 to laptop just like that, Zune is needed, and even though the laptop had the newest OS from Microsoft, it couldn't connect to it's sibling OS for phones, I mean how big of fail is that?

You're posting old, outdated info: the Lumia 800 is 2 years old and runs WP7.5.
WP8 doesn't use Zune anymore and photos can be shared with other phones using Bluetooth/NFC.

So please get your facts right, before posting here.

Live and let live, how hard can it be ?
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 12:45
Lack of apps is a lame excuse.
Google killed the YouTube app but the mobile site gives you all you need.
All the other apps have a replacement, you need to search sometimes but they are there.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 12:59
@TeeGee

Thanks for the updated info about WP8.
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 13:07

On 2013-08-17 11:53:52, TeeGee wrote:

On 2013-08-17 10:26:19, admad wrote:

You're posting old, outdated info: the Lumia 800 is 2 years old and runs WP7.5.
WP8 doesn't use Zune anymore and photos can be shared with other phones using Bluetooth/NFC.

So please get your facts right, before posting here.

Ops sorry, I forgot that they fixed that, so it's able to send files over bluettoth and even has USB mass storage, the only drawback is lack of file manager on phone itself, so if You put a file with extension different than .jpg or .mp4, it's not possible to send it to other phone, as I excpect it is forbidden to send .mp3 files due to DRM rights?

Anyway, WP has gotten much better than iOS, but still way behind Android...
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 13:43
WP works well for most people that use it.. most of the complaints are based on preconceptions.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-17 15:12

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-08-20 17:31 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-08-18 10:41
It was posted on GSM Arena a couple of days ago, but this is amazing:

Nokia unleashes a number of Pro Camera promo videos

I especially love the fire dancing thing on the beach.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-18 21:20
I've just got a 920 and I can say that apps like Ebay, Plentyoffish, Whatsapp and a few others aren't anywhere near as good as the iphone and android versions, things like this need sorting a.s.a.p otherwise Windows Phone will never get anywhere! but frustrating, luckily I have an Android tablet.

The thing is i'm really considering getting the 1020 but issues like above and a few other niggles kind of put me off but I love the design of the lumias and i want a top notch camera phone that's not just got a great camera but a good OS too.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 242526 ... 707172  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic