Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung Galaxy S4 announced

Previous  123 ... 636465 ... 777879  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S4 announced
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 04:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
And again you guys missed the point, we are not questioning the performance of S4, we are questioning the validity of the benchmark, which is what this is all about. Which is what the article posted about S4 benchmark is about. We never said the S4 is slow, we also never said that people base their purchase purely on benchmark.

Oh and Tsepz, you are asking me who am I quoting on the one with the bolded part you quote? answer is not you, have you been reading the thread? and I did not make it swing my way, you're gonna have to read and comprehend more about what is being posted here, then you'll get the message. You're not fussed even if Samsung did fake/cheat the benchmark? meaning you don't care about honesty and the truth? Well that speaks a lot about you really

Anyway as I have said, benchmarks are a way to measure a processor's performance relative to its actual performance, putting out scores that does not represent it's supposed performance defeats the purpose of benchmarking.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-08-01 04:27 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 08:37
^
reeflotz, it's no use discussing this with them. Etaab has one answer for this whole discussion - we are blind fanboys that just wait for opportunity to speak against samsung and Tsepz_GP praises samsung for clever techniques of battery preserving.

If they would at least respond in any way to the arguments presented we could discuss it but for them, and for many others I have seen on different webpages, there's nothing wrong in fixing scores. And that is why I don't even benchmark my devices, cause it stopped being reliable way of telling how device or PC system will behave in day to day use. It became nothing more than sports. Maybe we should start considering it as such in mobile market as well.

Just like there were ways of cheating in quadrant benchmark and it stopped being use due to the unfair optimizations in custom roms to show unrealistic improvements but no improvements in normal usage.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 09:02
I wouldn't exactly say it is useless on PC because I'm a heavy PC user doing 3d renderings and gaming which uses every bit of processing power it has. Benchmarks of specific video cards and CPUs for PC helped me pick the right parts and get the most out of my money when I built a PC rig just recently.

For mobile application it's not that much focused on because frankly I haven't seen a need of that much power on a smartphone. Even the heaviest apps can run fine on decent dual core phones.

It's just saddening that the reason why benchmarks are made in the first place is a means to measure performance is now being defined as a means to just brag about numbers and finding ways to manipulate scores and that they are perfectly fine with that. Are we getting that dumber to accept the fact that wrong things are supposed to be the norm? Oh well as you said fine leave them alone on their thread.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 10:20
Sorry Sony fans just had to post this!

Some more legendary marketing by Samsung
Samsung Galaxy S4 takes off to promote its features in yet another funny ad

http://is.gd/vstktF

....okay, carry on with whatever you were ranting about.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 11:54
Wow, so impressive. I think I'll go and sell all my devices and buy S4. It's just so great that I can't stop looking at this commercial

"response adjusted to the level of discussion in this thread"

Last time I every try to reasonably discuss in samsung topic. Glad I don't have this kind of problems with my friends that have samsung devices, at least they can discuss normally without calling anybody fanboy
[ This Message was edited by: Wishmaster89 on 2013-08-01 10:55 ]
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 12:01

On 2013-08-01 11:54:46, Wishmaster89 wrote:
Wow, so impressive. I think I'll go and sell all my devices and buy S4. It's just so great that I can't stop looking at this commercial

I am sure you will enjoy it
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-01 12:07
Right now I'm enjoying xperia Z so I think I'll pass on this one
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-02 16:50
http://mblog.gsmarena.com/dev[....]for-samsung-on-stack-overflow/

The next big thing is here.

This is on topic because it's the apps made in this way which will end up on the s4.

More sophisticated than what they did for the s3 and note 2, which was just rebrand apps by tiny developers on the play store..
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-08-09 17:28
Wow, some things never change! Whatever happened to esato? That is why I stay away, I am pretty sure I am not the only one.

Anyway, been using this phone for three months now and have mixed feelings.

1. CALL QUALITY: what is with these new phones with call quality that sounds like someone is speaking under the blankets? I've used phones since the days of Ericssons, Motorolas and Nokias- technology wasn't up to today's standards but at least you didn't have to say 'what' or 'please repeat that?', they paid attention to call quality.

Anyone out there who can recommend me a decent call and sms filter? I have tried 'aFirewall' and hated it, uninstalled it and then got 'Call blocker' which seems okay-ish. Also installed the 'QWERTY call and sms blocker/filter' but somehow doesn't show in my apps.

Would appreciate the suggestion and help.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-09 20:51
I had the same issue with the Samsung Ativ S call clarity was poor,too quiet and the microphone was terrible at picking up my voice. High tech phones today miss the basics for performance.
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-08-10 01:35

On 2013-08-09 17:28:41, Dups! wrote:
Wow, some things never change! Whatever happened to esato? That is why I stay away, I am pretty sure I am not the only one.

Anyway, been using this phone for three months now and have mixed feelings.

1. CALL QUALITY: what is with these new phones with call quality that sounds like someone is speaking under the blankets? I've used phones since the days of Ericssons, Motorolas and Nokias- technology wasn't up to today's standards but at least you didn't have to say 'what' or 'please repeat that?', they paid attention to call quality.

Anyone out there who can recommend me a decent call and sms filter? I have tried 'aFirewall' and hated it, uninstalled it and then got 'Call blocker' which seems okay-ish. Also installed the 'QWERTY call and sms blocker/filter' but somehow doesn't show in my apps.

Would appreciate the suggestion and help.

Hi Dups

I recommend going to Settings -My Device -Call -Personalise call sound -set it to Clear Sound, call quality should become super crisp and clear, you can also try Adapt Sound, but that requires a setup procedure but it will help finely tune your GS4's call sound for YOUR ears, great feature for listening to music, but IMO, for calls, Clear Sound is bang-on

Ps. you can then further increase in-call volume by clicking the icon I've circled in the screenshot, this is the 'Extra Volume key' and it boosts the volume quite a bit:

I've found the GS4 to have the very best call quality and volume thanks to all this.

WRT Call and SMS blockers, Samsung already have you covered this is one of the main reasons why I've liked TouchWiz since Android2.3:

Call Blocking:
Go to Settings -Call -Call Rejection. You can setup your own list of numbers to reject and let it auto reject them.

SMS Blocking:

Go to Messages -click the Menu button -Settings -scroll all the way down to Spam message settings (right at the bottom), Enable it -It then allows you to add Numbers, Spam Phrases and reject unknown senders.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-08-10 07:45 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-08-10 14:33
Thanks Tsepz_GP!

Clear sound works just the way I wanted it, the phone sounds like it should.

As for the Call and sms blocking, I've tried the options you gave when I got the phone but they aren't what I was looking for. With the P1i I can limit the calls and text messages to the contacts in my phone book. I don't think those options in the S4 give me those options. The Call Blocker app does the exact job I was looking for.

Another thing I am not too pleased about is the signal reception of this phone, I find that it easily loses signal. Where I am currently residing I have a rather unstable signal and the Samsung is the first phone to constantly lose signal. Mind you I have had Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Motorola and even BlacBerry with no issues whatsoever.

I have always felt that if it is not a Nokia, Motorola Ericsson/Sony Ericsson it will struggle with reception and I seem to be proven correct- the only other exception is BlackBerry which is quite good in that area, on par with the originators (Motorola, Ericsson and Nokia) of the mobile phone technology.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-08-10 15:05
By the way, I thought I'd share a bit of frustration I had this morning. It is more of a regret than a frustration.

Today I went to the mall with my daughter and I saw the Note 2, haven't seen it before as I had stopped going to the phone shops like I used to, and I held it and went "why did I get the S4 instead of this?"

That thing is lovely and a good size. I never thought I'd go beyond 5 inches but the Note 2 looks really good. it is just a pity that the other line is reserved for the BlackBerry Q10, otherwise I would've signed up for the Note right there and then.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-10 15:25
The Note 2 does feel more substantial in the hand and it is a great performer. It has good build except my back cover creaks a lot. Seems to happen the more you take it off. As for signal reception I have a Motorola RAZR I with great call quality and solid reception in areas others struggled.
Phone?? What phone??
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-08-10 15:33
@Bonovox

Ouch, on the creaking. But, yes, that phone is really tempting when you see it live.

You can never go wrong with reception on a Moto.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 636465 ... 777879  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic