Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > HTC announces HTC One 4.7-inch flagship smartphone

Previous  123 45 ... 161718  Next
Author HTC announces HTC One 4.7-inch flagship smartphone
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-20 23:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2013-02-20 23:02:46, rickster2kuk wrote:
The funny thing with last years One was that it was a really good phone and got great write-ups everywhere, yes there were initial issues with the screen and battery (but Sony were just as bad).

HTC just seemed to completely forget about marketing it - I can't recall seeing much media presence compared to Samsung or Sony and on that basis a fundamentally good phone fell under the radar.

That's the thing, there really wasn't much wrong with the One X, in actual fact if Htc had marketed it properly it could've owned the GS3 due to its looks. I remember seeing a few adverts of the One X here, here is the one they played for a while down here:
http://youtu.be/M-ppV7cMCJk
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-02-20 22:34 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-02-21 00:21
Apart from one cinema ad, the same ad on tv and in newspapers and magazines there wasnt much coverage of the One X.

So yeah that was one problem. HTCs attitude was another. Release the phone and forget about it is the usual strategy. What about new apps like Samsungs split screen ? HTC only update the OS and dont like to add new functionality.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-21 16:49
http://www.phones4u.co.uk/htc[....]ntcid=hero1_htc_one_19-02-2013

Pre orders here with free stuff
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-22 22:29
Image samples against iPhone 5

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]amples-surface_id40089#2-Macro
Phone?? What phone??
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-23 12:49
HTC seems to cope quite well.

I'm more interested to see more samples from the HTC cam when the reviews start coming through.

I really commend HTC for being bold on the camera issue, I'm just not sure they can pull it off.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-23 14:23
Images look better than the iphone. The iphone looks over exposed
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-02-23 20:23
I think its a bit early until we see a proper review of the phone to judge its camera. I think a phones camera capabilities is only truly revealed when its in the hands of the users.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 15:39
With such phone and efforts, HTC are taking themselves out of the business!

HTC's problem is that they never found an area to excel at in a flagship design! They produce very good all-rounders, but not the best in the business and definitely not in Android, and add to it, they have no signature feature or area to lock with any type of consumers in!

Their cameras are always inferior to the competition despite all that promotional scams. Now 4MP Ultrapixel camera?? Really? Making labels and creative namings never make up a good camera..

They blew their chance to produce a benchmark audiophile smartphone with their partnership with Beats! The iPhone and Galaxies are still the benchmark here!

Design-wise, they do impress, but never produce such designs which drive people talking or attract a customer to purchase the smartphone just because of its stand-out design in addition to the standard Android flagship stuff..
They never released a revolutionary industrial design like Apple and Nokia did for instance!

Sense UI used to be their signature feature! They ruined it! It grew stale, heavy, and laggy!! With no new significant features added with time! Now nobody talks or even knows what Sense UI is anymore! They totally lost the brand!

To me they seem going nowhere!

It's quite pleasing and inspiring to see Sony back on the other hand.
They are doing such a good job, and unlike HTC, learning good from their mistakes and improving..

Still no flagship will even come close to Samsung's coming flagship though! All these OEMs are fighting for a survival spot! Huawei and ZTE are exceptions as they fight each other for cheapo products which is a significant high volume category.
justus333
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 16:39
@false_moral

most of what you are saying is totally subjective!
I for one was determined to get me the xperia Z, but im so attracted to the Htc one design that now Im rethinking my plan. besides I really like the blinkfield UI, as I think they, that HTC put a lot of thought into it and created a very sexy, sleek design, that will eliminate the need to create 4-5 different home screens. I for one never liked that homescreen concept too much!.

Until now i never even considered buying a HTC, now I am. So I think they did a very good job!
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 20:58
@ Justus

Yes the unibody design is impressive.. But so is the Sony XZ.. Each in its own way.. Maybe these two will be the best designed unibodies Android flagship.. But again the point is HTC didn't achieve anything that unique or revolutionary in that design that people consider above anything else..
The fact that even in this area which could labeled the One's best feature, there is another equal.. It's not an exclusive feature to say the least..

As to the UI, if you liked Blinkfield, then get a Windows Phone. With Live Tiles you get everything on one scrollable home screen with way more extra functionality and cleaner design..
And as to the whole UI, again HTC ruined over time. It grew heavy and buggy! And they even gave no significant features in return!
In comparison, one of Samsung's main selling point is that they program the most fluid and reliable Android UI as well as the fastest browser..

Was it that hard for HTC to build on a winner?! They ruined it instead!

I'm not happy that they are not doing good! I would like to see the Android ecosystem featuring genuine comptetion leading to equal market share between major OEMs.. Not that Samsung leads and dictate for others how to develop flagships!

Same thing for WP and Nokia in case they manage to establish that major third ecosystem! Not good that Nokia leads and dominates that platform as well.. But that's how it's going..
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 21:49
Design wise Samsung phones are the most plain boring
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 22:10

On 2013-02-24 20:58:34, false_morel wrote:
@ Justus

Yes the unibody design is impressive.. But so is the Sony XZ.. Each in its own way.. Maybe these two will be the best designed unibodies Android flagship.. But again the point is HTC didn't achieve anything that unique or revolutionary in that design that people consider above anything else..
The fact that even in this area which could labeled the One's best feature, there is another equal.. It's not an exclusive feature to say the least..

As to the UI, if you liked Blinkfield, then get a Windows Phone. With Live Tiles you get everything on one scrollable home screen with way more extra functionality and cleaner design..
And as to the whole UI, again HTC ruined over time. It grew heavy and buggy! And they even gave no significant features in return!
In comparison, one of Samsung's main selling point is that they program the most fluid and reliable Android UI as well as the fastest browser..

Was it that hard for HTC to build on a winner?! They ruined it instead!

I'm not happy that they are not doing good! I would like to see the Android ecosystem featuring genuine comptetion leading to equal market share between major OEMs.. Not that Samsung leads and dictate for others how to develop flagships!

Same thing for WP and Nokia in case they manage to establish that major third ecosystem! Not good that Nokia leads and dominates that platform as well.. But that's how it's going..

+1, some true insight over here.

That is amongst my issues with Htc, although I am excited about the One, Htc never see,m to have truly lead in anything, not since the early days of Sense UI, they truly lost their way.

On the other hand I don't think either the One or the Xperia Z have anything truly special about them, yes the Z is water and dust proof, but for some rather odd reason people do not care about this, we've seen so many of this type off one come and go, there was even the Acro S and Xperia Go last year, neither one made any major splash though (no pun intended).

What sets the One a part though is its design, and Htcs great focus on features such as the stereo speakers with special amps powering them, the way the design stands out especially in silver is incredible while the Z looks like just another Sony mini slate.

Anyway, lets see how they do, the best marketing campaign is going to win here I think, it's all about how they communicate their brand and product to the consumer.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 22:13
So what stands out DIFFERENT about Samsung then?? I would rather have water proof to save my expensive smartphone than boring smart stay
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-02-24 22:38

On 2013-02-24 22:13:27, Sean72 wrote:
So what stands out DIFFERENT about Samsung then?? I would rather have water proof to save my expensive smartphone than boring smart stay

They make the fastest and smoothest Android UI with the most features, although some are gimmicks like Smart Stay, some are incredibly useful e.g. multiview multitask, pop up play and the S Apps especially with the S Pen in the Note range, their flagships are consistently named, their marketing campaigns are always well thought out and creative, they are heavy on the R&D game, updates are fast and more often than not come with very little bugs, they release phones and tablets soon after announcement and even the few times that they release late they WILL make spec upgrades, excellent internal hardware, by far the best internal hardware in Android land etc... It's a combination of things that they do.

Also, you may not like their designs, but many of us do, they don't just focus on making a phone pretty they make sure it's ergonomics are top notch.
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-02-25 11:13
Agree with Tsepz, the S3 may be conservative but I can quite happily use it one handed and it's light for such a big phone.

Those straight chunky edges on the Z are not great ergonomics imo.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 161718  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic