Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Blackberry > BlackBerry Z10 official: 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus LTE

Author BlackBerry Z10 official: 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus LTE
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-03-16 14:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Congrats fbloise!!!

Went to a retailer early this month and I also thought that this phone is absolutely beautiful.

I didn't appreciate the design when seeing on the net but in real life it truly is stunning. It has actually got me thinking maybe I should get this instead of the Q10, but I'll wait for the Q10 to be released before making up my mind.

The funny part is the Z10 was placed next to the iPhone 5 and the Apple phone looked toyish and weird, the proportions were just awful compared to the BlackBerry. Thin and tall- bad, bad design!

Anyway, I hope the next BB10 update includes multiple notifications.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-17 06:55

On 2013-03-09 11:43:30, fbloise wrote:

Is a beautiful phone!

One thing: you can sideload android apps, instagram included. I have it on mine

Its a beauty, but what I'd like to know is how easy is it to side load the Android apps? Is it a matter of download and install or is there more to it?
By the way, how is the battery life?

Dups!

Do it just make the leap to all touch! I've still yet to go and try one of these, I'm really tempted.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-03-17 10:46
@Tsepz_GP

Right now I am pretty sure that I am more likely to end up with the Z10 than the Q10.

I started thinking long and hard about the pros and cons of the two types of phones and am slowly moving toward the full-touch phone. I am probably going to struggle with the keyboard on the Z10 but eventually I will get used to it.

The screen estate and the fact that BB10 is built around full-touch devices has also got me moving away from the physical keypad.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-17 15:59
Do what you feel is best for you Dups, you don't want to find yourself in the same predicament as you did with the 9700. It does seem like BB are more into full touch now, also, I find that the Q10's screen res is quite odd for a 2013 phone with its box 720x720 pixels, I wonder if that won't lead to app compatibility issues in the long run? It will be interesting to see which BB maintains good demand overtime relative to each their release dates.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-17 17:54

On 2013-03-08 10:25:32, fbloise wrote:
The Q10 is supposed to have a 2,000mAh battery.

NS1 battery in the Q10 rings in at 2100mAh!

On 2013-03-08 11:37:15, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Not that I plan on getting it but this phone has really grown on me, wouldn't mind it as a spare phone, sucks that Instagram won't be making an app for it just yet.

Instagram
^ ok ... so many people globally complaining about the lack of this app on the BB10 platform. Can someone explain to me what the FRAK does this app REALLY do?!

I'm beginning to HATE how applications are created, flourish and then disparity of features go missing from one platform to another. Imagine my SHOCK about moving to BB10 (2nd and final attempt; I'm fulltime BB10 now) where 1 particular app does NOT allow me to CHANGE my phone number!!

WhatsApp:
- on BB10 there is NOTHING in settings that allows you to change your phone number! For this you need a BBOS device 7.1 or earlier that is supported.
- Guess what ... on either 9790/9900 I cannot switch from my old number ... AARRGH; thus there goes all my contacts.
- I'm not sure if its because my OLD number is no longer in service or not; most likely.

Some notes:
iCloud from iPhone, although allowing you to export your contacts ... its advisable to do this 1 at a time. Using a bulk export just uses 1 contact name and appends to it all the others in SUCH A NONE-STANDARD way its bull! Hence why I NEED WhatsApp to work so that I can change my contacts.

On 2013-03-17 15:59:56, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Do what you feel is best for you Dups, you don't want to find yourself in the same predicament as you did with the 9700. It does seem like BB are more into full touch now, also, I find that the Q10's screen res is quite odd for a 2013 phone with its box 720x720 pixels, I wonder if that won't lead to app compatibility issues in the long run? It will be interesting to see which BB maintains good demand overtime relative to each their release dates.

The 720x720 Resolution is a smart choice on a 3.2" screen of the Q10; which is also SuperAMOLED (vs Z10's LCD). Reason?
- its the same resolution of the Z10 when the full V-qwerty keyboard is on-screen. Apps will perform as they should, no touch-up should be required. However Android apps may NEED to be adjusted.

Side Loading Android Apps:

On the PlayBook this is the most recent method: LocalBar2 (direct install on PlayBook)
direct link - http://yohan.es/playbook/localbar2/

There is another dedicated thread for Z10/Q10 but cannot find it readily.

Here is how to sideload apps from bar file onto BB10
http://forums.crackberry.com/[....]e-into-blackberry-10-a-780773/

List of working BAR files (These are more than 30days old so look for updates):
http://www.blackberryos.com/b[....]g-blackberry-10-bar-files.html

INSTAGRAM V1.0.310.1
http://depositfiles.com/files/up0zw6f2m

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-17 20:39
Instragram is not real photography anyway just polariod type filters nothing exciting. There are other apps out there that do the same thing. People on Windows Phone OS keep whinging about it too. I've used it once and uninstalled it after ten minutes
Phone?? What phone??
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-24 23:13
^ well then it turns out that I shall not require that application then while on BB10.

Starting to really like this smartphone, Z10, and how the mobile OS works.
I'm STILL annoyed about not getting emails older than 30days though ... I understand the premise of it but not liking it. I have to do some heavy research into this matter to see if this is a generalization or if there is an adjustment that allows more than 30days; besides using a 'remote search' function from the z10 directly.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-11 21:04
Z10 Limited Edition #243

"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-04-11 21:25
I really hope bb10 succeeds. I would probably jump to bb or ios next year, So hopefully blackberry world will have much better selection of apps by then. After being used to the quality of apps(and a lot of investment) in ios, it feels weird using sub par apps in android..
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-04-11 22:10
Things not looking so good for BB in the USA:

BlackBerry Z10 is doing the impossible: "returns are now exceeding sales" in the US
BlackBerry had a pretty tough road ahead if it wanted to find a way back to relevance, and over the past couple of days it is sounding like BlackBerry has no chance at all in the US. Yesterday, we heard that less than 20% of Americans even knew the Z10 had been released, and today analysts are saying that Z10 "returns are now exceeding sales", which is almost an impossible feat to accomplish.

According to two separate analysts who talked to The Wall Street Journal, things are looking incredibly bad for BlackBerry in the US. ITG analyst Joseph Fersedi says that the sales of the Z10 are going from bad to worse, having "started poorly and weakened significantly as the days passed.” Fersedi says that overall sales are “marginally ahead of anemic.” Detwiler Fenton analyst Jeff Johnston drops the bomb for BlackBerry, saying that in the US “key retail partners have seen a significant increase in Z10 returns to the point where, in several cases, returns are now exceeding sales, a phenomenon we have never seen before.”

BlackBerry recently reported a profit in its Q4 earnings report, and that it had shipped 1 million Z10s. But, a complete lack of marketing and awareness of the product in the US is not going to be helping the numbers the company sees for this quarter.

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]eeding-sales-in-the-US_id41792
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-04-11 22:15

On 2013-04-11 21:25:12, djin wrote:
I really hope bb10 succeeds. I would probably jump to bb or ios next year, So hopefully blackberry world will have much better selection of apps by then. After being used to the quality of apps(and a lot of investment) in ios, it feels weird using sub par apps in android..

My iPad has a small part of me wanting an iPhone I must say, simply due to how some apps look and work, but then I remember the functionality I'd miss from Android and I just can't bring myself to getting an iPhone, but I can totally see what you mean about the quality of apps and content, some of it is just so beautifully tailored for iPhone and iPad its hard to move away from.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-12 01:03

On 2013-04-11 22:15:34, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2013-04-11 21:25:12, djin wrote:

My iPad has a small part of me wanting an iPhone I must say, simply due to how some apps look and work, but then I remember the functionality I'd miss from Android and I just can't bring myself to getting an iPhone, but I can totally see what you mean about the quality of apps and content, some of it is just so beautifully tailored for iPhone and iPad its hard to move away from.

There are a few good Quality Apps for BB10 it all depends on the C++ (& Cascades), or HTML5 (CSS) skills of the developer(s)/team making the applications.

Example:
CB10 app made by CrackBerry developers (both internal and external). I don't like a lot of the stupidity, lame, and just numbingly blind fans on that site - to which I do participate as Supa_Fly1 ... however this application shows just HOW BB10 apps can work.
- Proper Peek and Flow implementation.
- Posting to their site, details even the app being used - much more seemless than TapaTalk to be honeset.
- Individual Forum Topic updates (not the threads but topics like News, Apps, Help, etc).
incredible & tastefully done I must say.

UFC.TV
- upcoming matches have option to add to your Calendar sweet!

Maxim
- NUFF SAID! Videos are clear and great quality.

AlienFlow - quick and dirty Reddit app. Does the job.

There are some Apps made by vendors that you'd EXPECT to do just as well or BETTER than a team of goofs of a fanatical - insanely fanatical site can do - that just is appallingly stupid!

Example:
eBay for BB10.
- I downloaded this app Monday last week. Today launched for the first time and I get this error
Data Access Problem
We are sorry but the user preference files on this device have been moved by the device manufacturer and are not accessible by this app. To resolve this issue you will need to perform a factory reset of your device.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What kind of SHITE is this? Last BB10 update was globally universal to carriers except the unique radio band settings. I'm on the same provider to which my Z10 is purchased so I know this is bull. Specifically - I denied access to my files during installation so this is what the app is REALLY complaining about. I'll remove the app and then reboot my Z10 (I shouldn't have to but being an IT Analyst I'll be prudent here), then re-install it.

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-13 21:16
@Dups,

Did you get your Z10 yet, are you awaiting the Q10, or did you decide to get something else or just wait?

Guys I figured I'd show pictures of my Executive Edition boxing ... I cannot recall any manufacturer going all out for a package container for a smartphone coming close. This included: Z10, Battery, 2xMicroUSB cables, 1 charger block, 1 Car Charger, 1 BlackBerry Bluetooth Stereo S (surprising loud and clear to be honest; and if purchased at $100CA most worth it as it packs a solid bass for its size, most impressive).

Pictures: Z10 Executive Edition Box.

[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-04-14 02:36 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-04-13 22:00
Hardened, thanks a lot for your highly knowledgable and detailed posts, you do a far better job than most reviewers, always good to read your posts here and at HoFo, I only realized today that you're SupaFly at HoFo.

Looking forward to seeing those pics!
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-14 04:26

On 2013-04-13 22:00:22, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Hardened, thanks a lot for your highly knowledgable and detailed posts, you do a far better job than most reviewers, always good to read your posts here and at HoFo, I only realized today that you're SupaFly at HoFo.

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

Thanks man ... yes I'm SupaFly at HoFo ... originally there and here I was Prom1 (I previously had Prometheus or some iteration of that name back in 2001 when i first registered for any online db and it was Esato). Add me as a friend. Thanks for the compliments.

Everyday I'm finding out a few things with the Z10, lately mostly as as consumer as I'm presently not working so no BES10 details from me, unfortunately. One particular thing I've noticed is about the Calendar; UF TUF 17 Finale was scheduled in my Calendar using the app UFC.TV (great app btw) and before 9PM the entry was purple (matching with my Calendar colour coating preference), after 9PM EST (the start of the event) it turned green (HUH?). Probably to signify that the event started, a nice touch that is not explained on any press by BlackBerry nor in their public troubleshooting database (blackberry.com/btsc)

Other details I've noticed in the past 40 days:
Device lock password - cannot be sequential (i.e 1234) or simple common 4 letter words (i.e. test); this is explained during setup and entry of a lock pw btw,
Browser loads super fast ... I mean faster than Nexus 4 (DC-HSPA+ Telus Mobility), iPhone 5 (Rogers Wireless/Telus LTE or Telus DC-HSPA+); for loading simple or complex web pages like CNN/BCC UK, or even youtube.
Youtube is not an application, yet a launcher for the browser. At first this confused me, however since BB10 supports Flash, this makes perfect sense! Youtube is a website not a mobile app nor a service and thus should be presented in a real browser, just like on Win7, OSX, or Ubuntu and other Linii systems.
BBM Video Calling and Screen Sharing - not only does it work on HSPA/LTE/WIFI but its amazing smooth and clear! If your provider supports HD Voice then it'll use it for both parties or yourself.
Peek & Flow, and the Hub! Man ... I cannot tell you just how simplistic this is, and how powerful and time saving it is. After just 4 days I cannot imagine not having this even should I choose to move to another platform. I'm actually VERY shocked Google didn't think of this first for Android.
API's ... newer API's are currently being hardened by BlackBerry and will be VERY welcome!!
- an example. Even after enabling Music Controls in Settings for my Z10, if I close Youtube site or the music player - using the central Play/Pause button will not work, Arrgh! I just accepted this for the past week, yet today I used the BlackBerry Mini Stereo S speaker and pressed its Play button and BOOM the Music Player Opened up and played VERY quickly (less than 1 full second)!! - I don't get this but I was PLEASANTLY surprised!!

PS: Don't ask me about the Camera for another 2 more weeks as I hardly use it, lol. Since the iPhone 5 last summer I've felt no need to use cameras as often (way too much work until late last month). The 2MP Video Call Camera is outstanding though!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi