Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Sony announces Xperia Tablet Z - 10.1-inch waterproof with a 1920 x 1200 pixels resolution display

Author Sony announces Xperia Tablet Z - 10.1-inch waterproof with a 1920 x 1200 pixels resolution display
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-05-30 13:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Arrrrrrrgh! I'm so envious!!

Post some pics soon Ricky.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-30 16:29
Ok, just for you goldenface

I've tried to get a few shots of the details. You notice the notification LED is on the side not the front, there is a small notch and latch for the USB port cover to latch back and stay open (very nice little touch) and the power button is machined aluminium but doesn't have the surrounding bezel like on the Xperia Z handset.

I also dropped in a screenshot of my single screen desktop. The text in the bottom is my SSID, on touch it connects to my VPN. Minilistic Text clock. All the major shorcuts I use are in the folders at the bottom. I like to keep it simple.

If you want more photos, tell me what you want to see and I'll take some in better lighting tomorrow.

Edit: another nice touch is an option in the menu to wake the screen on double-tap. This is so much easier than fishing for the button.
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2013-05-30 15:31 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-05-30 22:49
Thanks Ricky. It's such a good looking tablet and it looks amazingly slim, even from the photos. Do you have the same live wallpapers as the Xperia Z? Or are they different?

How is the battery life so far, does it last more than a day with normal use?

Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-05-31 04:26
Battery hasn't been an issue for me. Not had it up to 100% charge and run it down to zero yet, but early indications are that it performs on battery at least as well as my mother-in-law's iPad (I think it's an iPad 3 but I don't know to be honest, they're all the same). I've dropped some screenshots below. I'll test a bit more.

Stock live wallpapers I've shown in the screenshot below, looks like the same as on my Z but not certain (I un-install live wallpapers when I get a new device/FW), adding wallpapers from another Xperia device shouldn't be difficult.

The screen is something spectacular for blacks and viewing angles. Best I've seen on any Sony device.

I'm having compatibility issues with some apps not being built for tablets and play not letting me install them, but this is mainly the more obscure apps, the major ones are there.

The Tablet is really comfortable to hold with one hand even in landscape and the seemingly very wide aspect ratio.

I found the spot where the magnetic sensor for a 'smart cover' type accessory is (just to the left of the front camera). I think I'll be adapting my leather sleeve to accommodate a button magnet when it arrives.

If you want any other info ask.

I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
winnerzero
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-06-01 08:45
just got my black 32gb tablet z, arrived yesterday...this is the best looking, lightest tablet ever...its just amazing they packed all this tech into such a slim profile... one thing ive noticed is that everything on the tablets seems to think its just another android phone...many tablet apps that i previously used are now 'your device is not compatible'...also, there is no more power widget to turn off wifi, bluetooth etc...instead i am using the small app toggle which is prob better...we'll see...
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-01 12:21
I use widgetsoid for desktop toggle widgets, works quite well and you can customise the appearance.

For toggles in the notifications, there is a limited selection of toggling options if you touch the clock you can toggle flightmode, WiFi, auto-rotate, brightness and notifications.. at least you can on my FW.

I only had compatibility issues on a few apps, and I found if I search for them (instead of pick them out of my apps) there were actually tablet versions listed seperately on the Play Store. Which apps are you having difficulty with?
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-06-06 10:47
Just found it online for £367.26.

i-store-online.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2013-06-06 09:47 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-06 15:46
I paid 460 GBP for mine including expedited shipping from Japan, but I did get the 32GB white.

The hardware on my JP model is exactly the same as the 32GB UK model and perfectly flashable with any of the global FWs. I've managed to load Linux Ubuntu desktop on the tablet and it runs, although a tiny bit laggy. I think it's laggy because the desktop runs through VNC.

I'm going to use it to run a local web server for development of web apps when I don't have my laptop handy or I'm away from my PC.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-06-14 14:23
10.1.1.A.1.307 update out!
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 15:57
I had a good old play with white version in John Lewis this afternoon. Makes me want it even more.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-16 16:05
You didn't get your credit card out once you had a look and feel? I don't think I'd have had the same self-restraint.

Best electronics purchase I've made in well over a year. I think Xperia Arc was my last 'true love' electronics moment.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 18:41
You're THAT impressed with it? Nice. I want to see one in real life... If only I could walk into a phone shop without being attacked by salesmen...

Did you manage to get ubuntu on it then?
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-17 02:36
It really is that impressive. I can't believe it hasn't had more press and fanfare.

I'm running ubuntu, yes, using mainly the terminal to command it though. I can only get the desktop to run through VNC which isn't very responsive.

I was really hoping to get Ubuntu on Android working but there is seemingly no-one working on that project anymore and no source codes were released.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-21 21:53
http://m.techradar.com/news/p[....]ablet-so-hard-to-find--1160816

From an iPad mini to a satisfactory android tablet.

Sony seems to be pretty good at taking iFans.

@Ricky D

Typical Sony regarding promoting best in class products.
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-06-21 23:44 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-06-21 23:34
PocketNow has done a good review on this. Gives it a good 8/10. It's beautiful.

link
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic