Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 06:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@unknownC151A, @unknown13x
thanks for the insight.

Some similarities between launches of anticipated phones and Space shuttle launches

What are we now, T - 60 days? I hope no more than T-90 days.

So at this stage before launch, can we assume that hardware specs are now locked down? (whatever the result/decision may be)...

I am so interested in the backside story of how those decisions came to be. Lets take the sensor size as an example.
When kaz announced the intention of the ultimate phone, naturally they would have looked at the best hardware available at the time. If they are really pioneering, then maybe create a totally new bespoke sensor for this phone.

They built prototypes with 2/3'' sensors. For the sake of this conversation, lets say for some reasons they have given up on fitting this sensor (we still don't know, and this is not what I wan to speculate about). What possible reason could they have had to go for smaller sensors? Is it purely packaging issue? If there is no dedicated chip for image due to packaging constraints, was it SoC and sensor performance/combination issue? Cost? (I have no idea)
Knowing how bureaucracy in Japanese companies are, could it be that the big boss said to camera division '' help the mobile phone division!'' but they were not pleased about the existance of such device that might hurt their own divisions sales performance in the future? Same for walkman/mp3 players... it could become redundant. My point is that self preservation might override and obstruct this dream team combo play.

Could it be like Moore's law, where they have the capability to create something way better, but decide not to. Just like energy conservation in a marathon race, If sony decided that winning (just) is enough (beating the competitors spec wise) and blowing them out of the water is not (setting word record) necessary, it is possible that they have left space for possible improvements that are to be introduced in later (and ever more frequently appearing) flagships?

Some other random comments....

I respect those with intentions to buy ONLY IF the camera hardware specs live up to the (best) hype rumoured, but I am one of those who will buy the Honami, even if the specs turn out to be combinations of the most underrated specs, because even at that, it will still be an awesome all-rounder. I guess it will be price dependent at that stage. I will see what is offered, and ask if I can stretch my wallet to justify the cost performance.

I am equally interested in the Walkman side as the cybershot side of the phone... Judging by the amount of talk on the walkman side, there is nothing much to write home about? Less interest? For me there are days whenn I do not take photos, but there are no days without music.

I am glad that sony is going for thinner device philosophy. With no disrespect to those who feel so, some complain about the bezel, and ask that it (honami) be made thicker in sacrifice of ridding the bezel. Looking at the purchases of phones I have made in the past (like all) I learnt through mistakes and got to understand my priorities better.

So Sony, u have at least one supporter (in me) in the design direction u are taking.

Same for water proofing. Way to go. It is in fact more Japanese market trend rather than Sony's unique feature (more Japanese phones are waterproof than not, a trend that started a while ago). I have lost 2 phones due to water ingress... Once dropped it from shirt pocket into the toilet bowl when bending over, other time splashed by a big puddle x big truck that went by when I was on my bike...

I bought Nokia N80 when it was talk of town back then. I hated the way it was like a cube, but that got masked by satisfaction of the super-specs that the phone boasted at the time.

The one after that was Dopod 808 or 838 (whatever it was), then moved onto HTC pro. Didn't think much of the thickness at the time, but when I moved onto HTC Sensation, I realised what a virtue thinness actually is. If only it was lighter...

I have used my HTC sensation for over 2 years now, during which time I nearly bought the Arc, and more recently nearly bought the Z, but then found out about ZU. Still torn between the ZU and Honami..
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 06:12
And a question to you all Honami-Holics

Which websites do you regularly check for possible intel gathering on Honami?

Dear mod,
Is it OK to ask such question? Please delete if inappropriate.

I found this site very recently, and nothing seems to beat this place for freshness of info. All the sites I used to visit for Honami leaks, now I know a lot stems from here.
vikeviki
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 06:24
^
Are you a blogger
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 06:37

On 2013-07-17 06:24:31, vikeviki wrote:
^
Are you a blogger

nope...
are u?
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 06:44

[ This Message was edited by: u2jewel on 2013-07-17 09:35 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-17 06:48
u2jewel - don't double post. edit your previous post if you are not responding to someone.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
XperiaCute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 07:06

On 2013-07-17 06:04:24, u2jewel wrote:
@unknownC151A, @unknown13x
thanks for the insight.

Some similarities between launches of anticipated phones and Space shuttle launches

What are we now, T - 60 days? I hope no more than T-90 days.

So at this stage before launch, can we assume that hardware specs are now locked down? (whatever the result/decision may be)...

I am so interested in the backside story of how those decisions came to be. Lets take the sensor size as an example.
When kaz announced the intention of the ultimate phone, naturally they would have looked at the best hardware available at the time. If they are really pioneering, then maybe create a totally new bespoke sensor for this phone.

They built prototypes with 2/3'' sensors. For the sake of this conversation, lets say for some reasons they have given up on fitting this sensor (we still don't know, and this is not what I wan to speculate about). What possible reason could they have had to go for smaller sensors? Is it purely packaging issue? If there is no dedicated chip for image due to packaging constraints, was it SoC and sensor performance/combination issue? Cost? (I have no idea)
Knowing how bureaucracy in Japanese companies are, could it be that the big boss said to camera division '' help the mobile phone division!'' but they were not pleased about the existance of such device that might hurt their own divisions sales performance in the future? Same for walkman/mp3 players... it could become redundant. My point is that self preservation might override and obstruct this dream team combo play.

Could it be like Moore's law, where they have the capability to create something way better, but decide not to. Just like energy conservation in a marathon race, If sony decided that winning (just) is enough (beating the competitors spec wise) and blowing them out of the water is not (setting word record) necessary, it is possible that they have left space for possible improvements that are to be introduced in later (and ever more frequently appearing) flagships?

Some other random comments....

I respect those with intentions to buy ONLY IF the camera hardware specs live up to the (best) hype rumoured, but I am one of those who will buy the Honami, even if the specs turn out to be combinations of the most underrated specs, because even at that, it will still be an awesome all-rounder. I guess it will be price dependent at that stage. I will see what is offered, and ask if I can stretch my wallet to justify the cost performance.

I am equally interested in the Walkman side as the cybershot side of the phone... Judging by the amount of talk on the walkman side, there is nothing much to write home about? Less interest? For me there are days whenn I do not take photos, but there are no days without music.

I am glad that sony is going for thinner device philosophy. With no disrespect to those who feel so, some complain about the bezel, and ask that it (honami) be made thicker in sacrifice of ridding the bezel. Looking at the purchases of phones I have made in the past (like all) I learnt through mistakes and got to understand my priorities better.

So Sony, u have at least one supporter (in me) in the design direction u are taking.

Same for water proofing. Way to go. It is in fact more Japanese market trend rather than Sony's unique feature (more Japanese phones are waterproof than not, a trend that started a while ago). I have lost 2 phones due to water ingress... Once dropped it from shirt pocket into the toilet bowl when bending over, other time splashed by a big puddle x big truck that went by when I was on my bike...

I bought Nokia N80 when it was talk of town back then. I hated the way it was like a cube, but that got masked by satisfaction of the super-specs that the phone boasted at the time.

The one after that was Dopod 808 or 838 (whatever it was), then moved onto HTC pro. Didn't think much of the thickness at the time, but when I moved onto HTC Sensation, I realised what a virtue thinness actually is. If only it was lighter...

I have used my HTC sensation for over 2 years now, during which time I nearly bought the Arc, and more recently nearly bought the Z, but then found out about ZU. Still torn between the ZU and Honami..

when I first saw your post , I side " why I would read this lengthy spamming post "

But from the moment I started reading until I end up to the last word , I felt all the amount of write you had done

is just one line with highly encouraging and supporting words that really pleasant to read at esato .

thank you for such an awesome post
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 07:09

On 2013-07-17 06:48:38, moogoo wrote:
u2jewel - don't double post. edit your previous post if you are not responding to someone.

Thanks for your notice.
Sorry, I want to make right...I do not want to offend anyone or brake the rules..

In double posting, do u mean posting 2 times in a row, or quoting someone and not replying (which is what I understood it to be )

If it was the latter, what I was trying to say is that since Honami is High-end, and that according to unknowns info it could well be developed in Japan, I was mystified by the fact that I cannot find any leaks in Japanese.

moogoo, pls tell me which bit I need t erase.

Thanks
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 08:00
@u2jewel

moogoo mean't making 2 posts in a row
nightwing369
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 10:17
Why can't you have a 16:9 aspect ratio for 20MP pictures? This would be awesome if the Honami had this.
Check this for the latest on the upcoming Sony phones for 2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AreyfktYnDHtdHN0bVFPdUFJd0ZiNzZQcjMwV1I5M0E#gid=0
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 10:24

On 2013-07-17 10:17:41, nightwing369 wrote:
Why can't you have a 16:9 aspect ratio for 20MP pictures? This would be awesome if the Honami had this.

because it's impossible, physical wise Honami's sensor uses 4:3 format, so cropping the sensor to 16:9 despite using up all available horizontal photosites will only yield a total of 13.6MP (5248*2592), so it's impossible to expect anything more than 13mp.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-07-17 09:58 ]
10 years at Esato
nightwing369
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 10:33
Is it me or does the supposed leaked render of the Honami look very similar to the Sony Xperia C670X mentioned many months ago?

Supposed Honami Render (Above)

Sony Xperia C670X (Above)
Check this for the latest on the upcoming Sony phones for 2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AreyfktYnDHtdHN0bVFPdUFJd0ZiNzZQcjMwV1I5M0E#gid=0
Azerila
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 10:39
2 questions
1- Will anything other than Honami be announced on August 4th?
2- Is Honami going to have carrier support from the first day? and Wikll the European carriers support it like they did with Xperia Z?
auchengyu
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 10:51
1. you mean september 4th? during IFA
I think maybe Honami as MAIN, and accessories as sub.
or together with Honami mini version. not many others I guess, in order to keep it Honami-aimed
2. have no idea >.>
[ This Message was edited by: auchengyu on 2013-07-17 10:00 ]
D.B.C
unknownC151A
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 11:08

On 2013-07-17 02:24:33, rss_ndrsn wrote:
Well, the dimension of Honami is really disappointing, especially now that it's sensor is smaller. It sort of lost its uniqueness and interest value. I think it will not be successful.

@XYZ, I dont think S800 have something to do with the phone thickness as Samsung S4 LTE-A's dimension remained exactly the same as S4. It should actually do the opposite as this new SOC have the modem built-in already compared to the one that can be found in ZL.

Besides, I have teardown Xperia ZL and I dont really think It would not be that impossible to fit all these features in a body close to ZL. I guess it is the thickness that is considered in Honami's design above all things. That's why.

I just really hope that Sony releases a Honami's L version with exactly the same features in similar body as ZL's. I would not mind an extra 2 mm of bezels but same thickness or even a 4.8" screen but anything more than that is quite uncomfortable to hold.

There's nothing so special about the S4 and it's so successful. Esatoians should start thinking based on the customers' viewpoint and NOT Nokia fanboy's. Generally, most consumers DON'T GIVE A DAMN about camera quality, moreover camera sensor size. As long I'm able to take decent photos quickly and upload it to Facebook, customers will buy it. I'm an avid Facebook user and guarantee the photos uploaded from phones are not the greatest of quality. Stop praising Nokia. The 1020 is indeed a great camera phone, but not the best smartphone. C690X will be a great smartphone with a great camera. You guys MUST STOP thinking it as a CAMERAPHONE. So sick of those useless trolls who declares that due to the camera sensor size, it's automatically a failure.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 930931932 ... 122712281229  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic