Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 693694695 ... 122712281229  Next
Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 01:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think that given the choice most people would prefer Xenon.
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 01:22
just a step back...

what does XR stands for?

it looks like XR means higher probability something will be true, but I always wonder if XR is a symbol or abbrev of words/phrase?
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 01:23
I think I'd rather have no Xenon if that would make the phone thinner. The phone with a 5" screen is big already and make that thicker, it would be huge enough to turn off people from buying it. I think if Sony wants to market Honami as a mainstream phone, the size should be comfortable enough for most people to use.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-16 02:17
The extra weight is probably due to the mysterious lens mounting system and/or a better larger lens. S4 Zoom is 200g+. I would expect something looking closer to that than current smartphones from Sony.
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2013-06-16 01:18 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 02:27
I can't believe people here are saying they don't need xenon flash, if that's the approach that you want Sony to take then I think the camera technology is going backwards in which the absence of optical zoom on these so called camera killers are the first downgrade, Honami is supposed to properly replace compact cameras and given it's price, It'll be disappointing not to have one. those who thinks xenon flashes are not an essential imaging tool must have never heard of "flash photography" and how enthusiast photographers can produce great photos with them.
10 years at Esato
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-16 02:31
i think it's funny that when rumors tell us there won't be a xenon flash, everyone is in an uproar with disappointment, but now that we are most likely getting xenon flash in honami, some people are like "eh.. whatever.. don't really need it" hehe.

goes to show, no matter what, there's no way to please everyone.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 02:35
yeah true, my hype meter suddenly went down after hearing ramu's latest info

I guess I don't trust Sony that much
10 years at Esato
katamari201
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 02:47
I highly doubt there's a lens mounting system. It would be impractical on a smartphone as well. Unless you are crazy and carry around a duffel bag full of lenses to use with your phone.

There should be no xenon. It's cheaper, thinner, and xenon doesn't mean better quality. Most photographers will tell you to avoid flash completely if you can. It's on most cameras simply because of tradition, and they can afford the thickness increase. Smartphones cannot.

180g is not heavy. The Lumia 920 is heavier than that, and it has a 4.5" screen and no fancy large sensor. My Note 2 is also over 180g and it feels relatively light. It's less about the weight and more about the density. The Note 2 feels way lighter than the Lumia 920 simply because the weight has more room to distribute. Honami should probably be closer to a Lumia 920 in footprint (the 920 has large bezels), which many people don't have a problem with.

I'm hoping for a nice metal design, similar to the Xperia T, but more polished and less ugly and dull looking. It'll probably be easier to implement a shutter button on a metal phone as well.

I wouldn't read into Japanese sales of smartphones as meaning much. The worse case scenario is if it becomes a Japanese only phone. There are too many of those as it is.

I wouldn't mind sacrificing the processor for a vanilla Snapdragon 600 instead. It will reduce cost and increase battery life and make the phone thinner with a smaller battery. I honestly doubt anyone can tell a difference between it and the 800. I wouldn't mind it having dual-core either. The performance difference between dual and quad core is very minor outside of benchmarks. For most apps that can't fully utilize quad core, and that's most of them, there won't be a difference between the two. That's why high-end i7 processors in many light and thin laptops are only dual-core, because the minor performance increase jumping to quad isn't worth it for the extra battery drain.

I am not that jazzed about making the phone water resistant, mainly because I've heard it can compromise the rest of the device, like the lens quality and the speaker quality. Some people have blamed the lens on the Xperia Z for poor image quality, and it also doesn't have a very good loudspeaker. And who knows what other sacrifices are made, including the extra cost. People dropping their phone in the toilet has never really been a rampant problem outside of internet freakout stories. Underwater imaging is also a pretty niche use. Like xenon, it would be great to have, but you can't have everything and gotta make sacrifices in the name of physics and a thinning wallet.
jianlin
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 02:47

On 2013-06-16 02:35:30, razec wrote:
yeah true, my hype meter suddenly went down after hearing ramu's latest info

I guess I don't trust Sony that much

hmm...xperia doesn't put all effort as sony can...
let's hope when it comes out suprise everyone...
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 03:10
So katamari, you're all set for a galaxy zoom

Seriously, yes i would avoid using flash in most situations if possible, and it would be great to have 8MP on a 2/3" sensor, a sensor tech of the rx100 for noise reduction and a 2.0 aperture lens or faster - wishful thinking list.

But in the end there are a few instances where flash can help get the pic done quickly and sharply, and the majority the users are non photographers, including me, and will end up using it. Then it is good to have a reliable xenon, at least it seems the majority of people here want it.

I am not worried about the footprint, all the more if they release a smaller screen version later that is supposed to compete with the iphone, then it can be thinner and LED flash like iphone.

I think smartphone sales number in japan are much more important to sony than korean numbers to samsung: this is where they need to focus first to be profitable. And so far xperia z has done much better that acro hd, and xperia A is doing even better than z. Samsung has a small footprint in japan, and the real match will be when iphone releases, will honami manage to be on par with it? That is interesting!

本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 03:20

On 2013-06-16 02:47:52, jianlin wrote:

hmm...xperia doesn't put all effort as sony can...
let's hope when it comes out suprise everyone...

I think some people here would be frustrated if the package is not compelling and the excuse is that it will be better next year. So maybe it is good to lower the expectations a bit as it sky rocketted recently which would unavoidably create frustration.

Let's be reasonable, in the end we just need a package that is satisfactory and better than the competition. Next year model will be better than honami, it is logical so no need to feel frustrated about it I think. I just hope next year model introduces new tech, not tech that could have been used for Honami.
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 03:20

On 2013-06-16 02:47:00, katamari201 wrote:
There should be no xenon. It's cheaper, thinner, and xenon doesn't mean better quality. Most photographers will tell you to avoid flash completely if you can. It's on most cameras simply because of tradition, and they can afford the thickness increase. Smartphones cannot.

I call BS, there are a handful of things you can do with a proper flash, xenon flashes are useful because of its ability to freeze action which helps prevent handshakes especially at extreme lowlight. Tradition? try asking pro photographers why they get all those expensive speedlites if that's the only reason they want/get a flash.

I am not that jazzed about making the phone water resistant, mainly because I've heard it can compromise the rest of the device, like the lens quality and the speaker quality.

Another BS, waterproofing does not reduce lens quality, filters, lens alignment and special coatings play a huge role on getting good lens performance, I bet you haven't heard of the likes of Nikon G or Canon L weatherproof (read: fire and water proof) DSLR lenses or even the likes of Sony TF1 and Canon D20 compacts. besides Xperia Z's camera had bad image quality because Sony screwed up with the JPEG engine and that is what Honami shall correct with its rumored brand new processing algorithm.

Again it may seem like I'm storming the thread like crazy just for that alarming (at least for me) lack of Xenon flash rumor for Honami but seriously people, that thing, whether it is of less importance to majority of people should still be on Honami, afterall this is a flagship device with an expensive pricetag, an All in one device, with focus on Imaging, and is supposed to properly replace compact cameras. so I don't get why people are seemingly holding back their opinion on what a flagship should be, I remember back then that there were people complaining for the 2012 Xperia's having slower (outdated) chips even though they can run Android apps and games as fluid as the reigning benchmark champs like the S3 and OneX.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-06-16 02:41 ]
10 years at Esato
jianlin
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 03:41

On 2013-06-16 02:47:00, katamari201 wrote:
I wouldn't mind sacrificing the processor for a vanilla Snapdragon 600 instead. It will reduce cost and increase battery life and make the phone thinner with a smaller battery. I honestly doubt anyone can tell a difference between it and the 800. I wouldn't mind it having dual-core either. The performance difference between dual and quad core is very minor outside of benchmarks. For most apps that can't fully utilize quad core, and that's most of them, there won't be a difference between the two. That's why high-end i7 processors in many light and thin laptops are only dual-core, because the minor performance increase jumping to quad isn't worth it for the extra battery drain.

s800 got integrated modem vs s600 separated...
s800 adreno 330 50% more power than adreno 320
Hpm vs Lp process
krait 400 vs krait 300
quick charge 2.0 vs 1.0
dsp 600 mhz vs 500 mhz
s800 support usb 3.0 and 4k video
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-16 04:16

On 2013-06-16 02:27:20, razec wrote:
I can't believe people here are saying they don't need xenon flash, if that's the approach that you want Sony to take then I think the camera technology is going backwards in which the absence of optical zoom on these so called camera killers are the first downgrade, Honami is supposed to properly replace compact cameras and given it's price, It'll be disappointing not to have one. those who thinks xenon flashes are not an essential imaging tool must have never heard of "flash photography" and how enthusiast photographers can produce great photos with them.

Of course Xenon flash is better than LED flash, but given a choice, I would have opt for LED flash that I use frequently as a torch. You probably cannot get more than 1 meter with an LED flash. If you ask me, I would rather have it as an accessory like the one in T68i

Anyway, Sony would most likely to include Xenon flash in Honami, because it is suppose to be show off device.
venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-06-16 04:20
Then why not both? K850 and Satio both have dual flash so you get the best of both worlds anyway why should there be choices when Sony can do both?
10 years at Esato
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 693694695 ... 122712281229  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic