Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Apple IPhone 5 Thread And Discussion

Previous  123 ... 192021 ... 333435  Next
Author Apple IPhone 5 Thread And Discussion
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-10-21 09:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Here is a pic I took couple of weeks ago.. its really easy to get acceptable results if the conditions are right, but as soon as the light goes away, things go downhill very quickly. Color reproductions tends to be on the yellow/cheerful side, not very accurate most of the time, which has been the case with all iphones so far.

I would say the iphone 5's camera is more than enough for most people, and it can easily replace a point and shoot.

On 2012-10-20 10:04:34, admad wrote:
And what's the deal with iPhone 5 video being played back vertically ?:D When it was recorded horizontally?

I don't know.. iOS 6 messes up the orientation all the time, in pics and video. Also, 920 does have the same mic as the 808, but its not stereo.. so ya, technically no rich recording.

On 2012-10-20 23:29:16, etaab wrote:
Trust me, every innovation thats tucked inside the 808 will get carried over to Nokia's Windows Phone phones eventually.

Im sure when Nokia have managed to miniaturise the 808 technology into a Lumia slim styled body it'll appear on Windows Phone.

Actually, most of the tech in the 808 is kind of tied to a real-time kernel (RTOS), which is what Symbian is. Windows NT is a monolithic kernel, so they will have to make some heavy modifications to the hardware, or they need to get the latency in the wp8 kernel very, very low for the system from the 808 to work properly. So yes, eventually.. they will make it work somehow.. we hope.

If it was that easy, they would've been a Windows Phone version of the 808 already.. but there isn't. Counter to popular belief, Symbian is a pretty cool OS when it comes to certain things.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-21 21:08
Nice photo on Iphone 5 but nothing I have not seen before. It's colours look rather pale
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-10-21 21:49
@ cu015170 - i was referring to the actual camera hardware rather than the software of the device using it.

Currently to get the 808's Pureview technology the whole camera module creates a noticable bulge. If Nokia are to compete with the iPhone 5, which i believe they're attempting to do with the 920 they're aware they cant have such a bulge on their flagship devices.

The only way Nokia can survive imo as a major player is to differentiate themselves from the competition. Going for Windows Phone they've done the foundation. Bringing some Pureview innovation adds more weight to battle other WP devices, such as HTCs. Then they've gone well overboard and invested heavily to make their Lumia phones stand out.

For the first time since the N95 Nokia look dangerous again to the other manufacturers. The N8 and 808 are both fantastic phones but never stood a chance against the new operating systems.

I really hope the 920 does well, i'd love one so much. The iPhone 5 is clearly Apple's last phone that will probably keep such a massive lead over the market. Apple's snail pace of innovation doesnt guarantee them success at all and hopefully the consumer will notice it.

Hell the 920 makes Android look boring.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-22 02:21
According to Windows Phone Central pre order sales charts are positive for the 920. I think it'll do pretty well
Phone?? What phone??
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-10-22 02:39
This Image Obtained Starting Of IPhone 5 Show Clearly The How Satisfactory Are Their Photographic Results For Situations Everyday All That Ally The Simplicity Of Use Show That The Smartphone Of Apple It Is Also a Good Photo Solution (And Better Solution Photographic When Compared To Xperia T, Optimus G And Galaxy S III) !!!

P.S: As To a Windows Phone With Capacity Photo Equal Or Higher To 808 PureView Pro Unfortunately Only In 2014 Before Thereof IMPOSSIBLE !!!
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-10-22 04:46

On 2012-10-21 21:49:18, etaab wrote:
@ cu015170 - i was referring to the actual camera hardware rather than the software of the device using it.

I was trying to say that to control that hardware properly, you need an RTOS.. which is what symbian is.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-10-22 22:18
Im sure Windows Phone is quite capable of implementing all the functionality of the 808 given time. The OS is younger and wont support as much now but will in future.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-10-22 23:17

On 2012-10-22 22:18:02, etaab wrote:
Im sure Windows Phone is quite capable of implementing all the functionality of the 808 given time. The OS is younger and wont support as much now but will in future.

This is going to go way off topic, but..

So here is what I've gathered as far information on the subject.

Currently, there is no SoC (system on a chip) that can handle more than 20Mpix, therefore Nokia had to implement an additional processing chip that is built into the camera module, and that way the processing load is spilt between the main GPU and the secondary unit. The main GPU and the companion chip need to be perfectly synchronized, so that all the oversampling and the other software tricks work properly. For that to happen, you either need an RTOS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_operating_system / or a very, very low latency Monolithic kernel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_kernel

Android, iOS, and Windows Phone are all monolithic, Symbian is RTOS.

So, as far as I can tell, there are four options here:

1. They wait until there is a chip set powerful enough to handle the processing load coming from the camera module in the 808, and that way they bypass all the sync issues.

2. They create a secondary (very primitive) OS that handles the camera system separately, and runs under the main OS.

3. They bring down the megapixel count to 20Mpix, and don't perform any oversampling so that the system can handle the load.. and compensate with physically larger pixels.

4. They somehow manage to bring the latency in Windows Phone low enough, to where there are no sync issues.

There is also the question of Xenon, which requires a mechanical shutter.. more sync issues.

This is my own summery. Now.. if it was that easy, like a said before, there would be a PureView PRO Lumia already.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-10-22 22:23 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-10-23 02:45

On 2012-10-21 09:22:25, cu015170 wrote:
Actually, most of the tech in the 808 is kind of tied to a real-time kernel (RTOS), which is what Symbian is.

Symbian ... never was, never has been, and never WILL be a RTOS! Not in S60, UIQ, or that forgotten Japanese/Chinese version.

QNX is a REAL-TIME-Operating System as its CORE Kernel component.
You cannot separate the radio stack for WiFi independently from cellular networking, you cannot separate power management independantly of the power on/off control, nor can you independently control Speaker sound from music playback, from the cellular call, nor from the VOIP call done over wifi.

Find me proof specifically where Symbian is listed as a registered RTOS, please.

http://www.arm.com/community/[....]real-time-operating-system.php

Symbian is a SMP; a symetric multi-processing OS, but it is NOT an RTOS.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 04:25
Maybe it isn't.. I am just going by what I've read in the following sources:

http://www.developer.nokia.co[....]iki/EPOC_Kernel_Architecture_2

http://www.developer.nokia.co[....]Internals/01._Introducing_EKA2

"This book was written to provide a detailed exposition on the new real-time kernel, providing the reader with the insights of the software engineers who designed and wrote it."

http://www.amazon.com/Symbian[....]8-1&keywords=symbian+real+time

Maybe I am confusing Real Time OS with a Real Time kernel, but either way, its better suited for the PureView PRO system found in the 808 than any of the other 3 OS systems I mentioned.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-10-23 03:32 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-10-23 22:04

On 2012-10-22 23:17:39, cu015170 wrote:

1. They wait until there is a chip set powerful enough to handle the processing load coming from the camera module in the 808, and that way they bypass all the sync issues.

You're right its going way off topic, so my last comment would be that i think your first point would be the most likely, and the most possible at this point in time.

I dont think its out of Nokia's expertise to develop with their chip makers such custom SOC components for that purpose. If the iPhone 5 can have its own custom chips made for its cpu from existing technology im sure Nokia could do the same for their WP Pureview phones ??
dizzybee
Apple iPhone 4
PM
Posted: 2012-10-28 19:01
Has anyone on here got the black one? How bad is the whole scuffgate thing? Prefer the black over the white but the whole scuffgate thing is making me think white
iPhone 4
McBride
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-10-29 08:56
well,the iphone5 finally come in September,I really love this phone,especially the 4.0 inches screen and A6 processor,it will makes the playing games experiences more amazing,I really love it,I am lucky I donot buy the iphone 4S last year,now I really want the iphone5.
[ This Message was edited by: McBride on 2012-10-29 08:01 ]
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-01 01:32
iPhone 5 is Old news now lets jump aside to the 5S launched under a years time
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
below24
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-11-03 19:05
@ dizzybee - I have the black one, and the first day scuffed the metal around the screen and i haven't even dropped it yet. So i have immediately put a cover on it. But i have seen some black iPhone 5's that now have a silver band around it, quite unsightly. Go for the white.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 192021 ... 333435  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic