Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia Lumia 920 PureView Thread

Previous  123 456 ... 515253  Next
Author Nokia Lumia 920 PureView Thread
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 08:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm Sure The Lumia 920 PureView Will An Excellent Smart/Cameraphone... However Also I Am Sure That Will Less The Photographic Aspect To 808 PUREVIEW And NSERIES N8 !!!
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 09:59
I'm pretty sure some fanboys here will attack/insult/bash me after this but I think 920 isn't a real pureview to me, I don't know if the Nokia engineers behind the 808 development were already laid off and the company is left only of smartasses such as Elop and the current VP who decided to rebrand this phone as a pureview device despite not being qualified enough for the title.

I've always known pureview tech as nokia's technique for creating the better 5/8MP image utilizing pixel-binning complemented by a large sensor which is key for achieving very good pixel-noise ratio, Nokia's decision to use a very large sensor on 808 brought them an advantage on achieving the class-leading depth of field as well, also the fact that they used a very powerful xenon flash further adds up to the lowlight capabilities of the phone but somehow I failed to understand why would they forgo those things and with a small sensor being used on 920, and I don't think it will be better than N8 either, no matter how the only guys left at nokia try to convince their buyers of the phoney imaging prowess of 920, I think it's just a glorified iPhone 4S/Xperia P with optical image stabilizer, a large aperture would've been useful for 1/2.3" BSI sensor or larger but for a 1/3" with BSI or not there's not much helping on it. also 920 will surely lose the amazing bokeh effect on 808 with that small sensor. btw I don't know what sensor is used on this device (if anyone knows please correct me) but I wouldn't be surprised if they would also use the same sony sensor that's been used on 4S/S3 and Xperia P. so to sum them up, imho, 920 is a downgrade from 808 and N8 as I see it. and it's not a true pureview phone for me

Nokia's decision to forgo xenon flash mirrors what they also did to N86 8mp and to refresh everyone's minds here Nokia stated before that their so-called 3rd generation LED flash (which is 2-3 times more powerful than conventional LEDs) are more than adequate for handling lowlight, since it uses variable aperture and at that time N86 8mp had the widest aperture of all cameraphones, Nokia more or less expects N86's flash to perform as good as N82) but everyone knows what happened, not only it failed to beat the one year old Samsung innoV8 with smaller sensor (i believe N86's sensor size is 1/2.5" just like N82) in image quality and C905 remained the lowlight king for its powerful Xenon flash. I know my post seems to be a form of bash against 920 and the company itself but despite being a "Hard-core" Sony fan (as someone deliberately mentioned before) I appreciate innovation, and I don't detest any brand that competes with Sony or I like the past Samsung for aggressive designs and the current Samsung for extreme aggressiveness on spec race.

sorry for the long post and for typos, as I'll be less active in esato than I used to.

10 years at Esato
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 10:16
@razec, why would anyone think You are bashing? You are jest telling the truth, and what some of us think, me included. The sensor in 920 isn't present in any other phone (8,7 MPx hints that, never heard of a phone with such resolution).

I would really love to see 41MP on a WP8 phone (on Android it would be overkill but it won't happen ). At least now I don't have to make a chocie Android vs WP8 since Nokia did nothing special there.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 10:44
The "bottle neck" is the OS.

The system on the 808 requires TWO silicon chips to work in sync (GPU+DSP) in order to process all the raw information from the sensor. So.. the only way to do that without any latency issues is a REAL TIME OS, which is exactly what Symbian (EKA2) is .. and that is why it works so well. Win NT, andro, and iOS, are all monolithic kernels, and it will be much harder to do all that.

In order for them to do that on WP(same for android), they will have to wait for a single SoC that can handle all that processing, and there isn't one on the market at the moment, most of them can handle up to 20Mpix, but event then, I don't know if they are powerful enough to do all the oversampling, which is the key with the 808.. otherwise the pixels are still very small @ 1.4 microns (just like the 920 and all the other flagships on sale), but with combining pixels, they kind of remedy the issue. You can still see the weakness tho.. the DR on the 808 is way weaker than a camera with physically bigger pixels..

THe 808 is supposed to achieve pixels sizes of around 3.0 microns in 5Mpix pureview mode, and from what I've seen on mine, i sort of believe them, there is simply no other way to achieve such quality with native 1.4 micorn pixels, which is basically what it has, but... LOTS of them

The optics helps A LOT of course..
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-09-07 09:50 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 10:48
Completely agree with your post razec

Also I think 920 is using a Toshiba sensor and not Sony.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 10:50
^ Toshiba makes BSI sensors ?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 10:53

On 2012-09-07 09:59:49, razec wrote:
I'm pretty sure some fanboys here will attack/insult/bash me after this but I think 920 isn't a real pureview to me, I don't know if the Nokia engineers behind the 808 development were already laid off and the company is left only of smartasses such as Elop and the current VP who decided to rebrand this phone as a pureview device despite not being qualified enough for the title.

I've always known pureview tech as nokia's technique for creating the better 5/8MP image utilizing pixel-binning complemented by a large sensor which is key for achieving very good pixel-noise ratio, Nokia's decision to use a very large sensor on 808 brought them an advantage on achieving the class-leading depth of field as well, also the fact that they used a very powerful xenon flash further adds up to the lowlight capabilities of the phone but somehow I failed to understand why would they forgo those things and with a small sensor being used on 920, and I don't think it will be better than N8 either, no matter how the only guys left at nokia try to convince their buyers of the phoney imaging prowess of 920, I think it's just a glorified iPhone 4S/Xperia P with optical image stabilizer, a large aperture would've been useful for 1/2.3" BSI sensor or larger but for a 1/3" with BSI or not there's not much helping on it. also 920 will surely lose the amazing bokeh effect on 808 with that small sensor. btw I don't know what sensor is used on this device (if anyone knows please correct me) but I wouldn't be surprised if they would also use the same sony sensor that's been used on 4S/S3 and Xperia P. so to sum them up, imho, 920 is a downgrade from 808 and N8 as I see it. and it's not a true pureview phone for me

Nokia's decision to forgo xenon flash mirrors what they also did to N86 8mp and to refresh everyone's minds here Nokia stated before that their so-called 3rd generation LED flash (which is 2-3 times more powerful than conventional LEDs) are more than adequate for handling lowlight, since it uses variable aperture and at that time N86 8mp had the widest aperture of all cameraphones, Nokia more or less expects N86's flash to perform as good as N82) but everyone knows what happened, not only it failed to beat the one year old Samsung innoV8 with smaller sensor (i believe N86's sensor size is 1/2.5" just like N82) in image quality and C905 remained the lowlight king for its powerful Xenon flash. I know my post seems to be a form of bash against 920 and the company itself but despite being a "Hard-core" Sony fan (as someone deliberately mentioned before) I appreciate innovation, and I don't detest any brand that competes with Sony or I like the past Samsung for aggressive designs and the current Samsung for extreme aggressiveness on spec race.

sorry for the long post and for typos, as I'll be less active in esato than I used to.

THIS!! +1
Completely agree!

Also going by what cu015170 said, it seems Nokia set the bar a bit too high with the 808 for themselves, and were forced to throw in a average camera in 920 and not a proper PV camera.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 10:59
^ They had to.. since they are not using Symbian on the 920, there is no way to make the 808 system work, at least in its current state.
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 13:05
I know that every company does exaggerate, but with lumia 920, and its heavy focus on OIS and camera, its dissapointing to know they faked both the images and video. Even saying stuff like its better than an slr camera.

I guess both nokia and microsoft have realised that wp8 wasn't going to be a big news, so they have created this hype over fake claims, that will definitely get them more unaware customers.

More over, I donot know why anyone would need an s4 in such a "capable os" that did not need vague improvements such as dual cores and quadcores to do everything. If wp8 was more efficient than wp7, they should have just downgraded the cpu to 800mhz just to prove it
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 18:20
Nokia hasn't been able to show more, because WP8 isn't ready yet.
A guy I know from a Dutch forum works for Microsoft NL and he already has a Lumia 920, but he's still getting a new build almost daily.
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 19:07
Razec

For The First Time, Since I Frequent This Forum, I AgreeFull all What You Wrote, Absolutely Nothing The Add !

Certainly Lumia 920 PureView Will Image Quality Less Than NSeries N8 And The 808 PureView Pro !

My Hunch Is That The 920 PureView LITE Will Be As Good As IPHONE 4S And Lightly Better The Excellents XPERIA P, SAMSUNG GALAXY S III, SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE II !!!
[ This Message was edited by: Guarulhos on 2012-11-26 22:51 ]
Yakkaimono
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 19:14
Take a look at this.
Exclusive photos: We put Nokia's controversial Lumia 920 PureView camera to the test

That is quite impressive for a prototype 920 if you ask me. I think with finalized software, this phone will be worthy of the PureView brand.
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 19:17
Cu015170...

As Usual, Your Settings Are Perfect !

Just To Complement, 3.91 Microns In 5Mpix Pureview Mode And 3.07 Microns In 8Mpix Pureview Mode !!!

Randomuser...

Guess...Just a Guess !!! Think The Nokia Are Using a CMOS BSI Image Sensor TOSHIBA On Lumia 920 PureView Lite !!!
[ This Message was edited by: Guarulhos on 2012-11-26 22:54 ]
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 20:31
"TRUE" Sample Image Nokia Lumia 920 PureView (PROTOTYPE) !!!

[ This Message was edited by: Guarulhos on 2012-09-07 19:33 ]
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-07 20:35
Yakkaimono...

Great Post !!!

Analyzing Carefully And Thoroughly No Doubt Of All The Mobiles Tested The 920 Was The Best, Overcoming To Even The King Of Cameraphones (808 PureView Pro) !

Which Is Something Really Amazing !!!

However Is Clear That The 808 PUREVIEW PRO Not Was Configured Appropriately For The Scene In Question, Which Leads To Significantly To The Final Result !

But I Understand That The Result Of Lumia 920 PureView Was Very Superior To Results Presented By The LUMIA 900, ONE X, 808 PUREVIEW And "Lightly Better" IPhone 4S And Galaxy S III !!!

P.S: At Least This Is My Opinion !!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 515253  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic