Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Who survives, Nokia or RIM?

Previous  123  Next
Author Who survives, Nokia or RIM?
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2012-06-18 17:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-06-18 13:39:00, Bonovox wrote:
Why are they releasing crap like the Lumia 610 making Windows even more restricted.

Lol, I can reply with another quote from this same thread :

On 2012-06-18 11:56:00, Bonovox wrote:
Smartphones is where its at now.

This is the purpose of the Tange (Refresh) update: making (WP) smartphones available to people who are not willing to pay hundreds of their hard earned bucks for a phone (or simply can't afford to do so). For this reason Nokia has the Lumia 610, Samsung the Omnia M and (on the android side) a bunch of cheap droids, and HTC the Wildfire (S).
All these cheap and chearful phones (on either WP or Android) have hardware restrictions, compared to the flagships, but they're sufficient for people who don't fiddle with their phones all day, but simply want a smartphone for email, internet and social networks. They sell well, even though they will never be appreciated on mobile phone forums, but, as we all know, forums don't represent the real world

On the topic of this thread: I hope both Nokia and RIM will survive, without them, the (smart)phone world would be less interesting and there would be less to choose for many of us, even though I personally won't buy a BlackBerry in the near future, but they're still very popular here in NL, not only among business users, but among teenagers aswell.
[ This Message was edited by: Marly on 2012-06-18 17:53 ]
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-18 18:51
No what I mean is Nokia did so well with the specs and low price with the 710. And the 610 is a low RAM 256 & 800mhz speeds. The speeds don't matter but that RAM does. What's the point in making a so called Windows smartphone but restricting what it can do putting in low RAM. It cannot run certain apps and reviews have said it is often laggy which is unheard of in Windows phones. I just don't see why Nokia would release something so useless. I loved the 800,900 & the 710. But going as low as the specs on the 610 was just plain daft. Many similar priced Android phones will have more RAM speed and specs. I just think it was a waste of money Nokia releasing it. Also to start competing Nokia seriously needs to start releasing their Windows devices faster and they need more high end ones too. There is not enough. They seem a bit slow. I still love Nokia don't get me wrong. Elop is confusing me saying we are concentrating on Windows now it's S40 He needs sacking sorry

Sony Xperia U
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-06-18 17:55 ]
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2012-06-18 19:35
A small doubt.
If NOKIA is really close to shutting shop,why don't they just jump the boat to Android?any reason they cant?Maybe produce both Androids and WINDOWS?
The HW is great,they just need Android!
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-18 20:04
They signed a deal with Microsoft that's why. And they ain't shutting up shop
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-06-18 21:23
They simply need to ride the storm what is the adoption of an OS in its early stages, Windows Phone.

Look at Android when devices ran versions older than Eclair, it was nowhere in the market. Two or three years on, and look at Android now.

I expect WP to do the same, Nokia just need to ride it out.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-06-19 11:12
I am sad at what Nokia did.First,they released Maemo powered devices and then the Nokia N9.But even before release,Elop said that there's not gonna be any more support for MeeGo.
So,Maemo and MeeGo dead.And that's not it.Nokia released Ashas which were powered with Meltemi,a Symbian S40 touch alternative.And they apparently killed Meltemi too.Same for Symbian.I'm sad,very sad.
And no one had much luck with Microsoft.Elop became CEO in Macromedia just 3 months before the company bankrupted and was bought by Adobe.

I don't hate Lumias,but they better release something different,because all the windows phones now are different from each other by a few megapixels,screen size or resolution and a few buttons.I could buy a good WP Samsung aswell instead of Nokia..
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-06-27 10:56
I think you guys would love to read Eldar's view on Nokia's future

http://mobile-review.com/articles/2012/birulki-176-en.shtml

^^ Some of his points reflected with what I have said previously on this thread, Nokia's downfall is worse than in 's 5 years ago.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2012-06-27 09:57 ]
10 years at Esato
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 10:57
My initial thoughts when this thread was started were that Nokia will not make it, but now after RIM's announcement of delaying their BB10 phones I am beginning to think that they are as good as dead.

All of a sudden Nokials chances look slightly better particularly after the Windows 8 unveiling.

Tragic for RIM as I am still going to get the N phone to replace my P1i next year when it comes out.

I wish I had a magic wand to save RIM... only for its QWERTY phones and a very promising BB10 OS.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 11:06
I have to agree Dups, when i read that i began to wonder if we will even have RIM come 2013.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-06-29 12:53
I have never been a big fan of RIMs offerings as I have always thought of them as old, difficult phones but with the popularity of BBM I think RIM will always a stand a chance of coming back. Waiting until 2013 when so many would have the latest iPhone during the holiday season and perhaps then looking to new offerings from Samsung and others only makes things worse for and I don't see how they can get to many sales then to make up.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-04 11:48
I put my money on Nokia... honestly, I own 15 shares of their stock
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
hibiskus
BlackBerry Z10
PM
Posted: 2012-08-04 13:02
if RIM stops competing with apple and samsung and focus on bussiness models than yeah it might have a chance. Concerning Nokia, if M$ again dont allow customisation to manufacturers, than I dont see with what can Nokia stand out of a crowd?Pureview Win8 ok, but how many zeros it will cost?
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-08-04 20:07
it all depends on Windows Phone 8.. by the looks of it Microsoft is going to go strong after corporate america, and if RIM loos the battle there, they are done.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-08-04 21:44
I beleive RIM's reputation was severely damaged by their outage they priviously suffered. I see BB phones everywhere but I think that really did them damage.
Phone?? What phone??
michelletan
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-08-13 18:00

On 2012-06-18 13:39:00, Bonovox wrote:
Yes if Nokia went Android they'd perhaps be as big or bigger than Samsung are now. Their Lumia 800 & 900 are great but not mind blowing. The 710 has been a fair success for it's good specs for low price. But also what worries me is two other things. Why are they releasing crap like the Lumia 610 making Windows even more restricted. And why are they so slow in releasing their new Windows phones?? I was expecting a huge influx from Nokia. I still like many of their handsets but am starting to worry. Their Lumia 900 is a success in US and some northern European countries but it's not enough I don't think

Nokia was smart didnt go for android. For a fanboy android is actually dying.

No.1 due to fragmentation problem
No. 2 Google aquired Motorola it you notice Samsung Galaxy Nexus are getting updates first because its google. If Google focus their newer OS and updates what happen to other manufacturer like samsung, HTC and etc
No. 3 Too many competition until they running out of ideas like samsung voice command become S-voice , NFC becomes S-beam. Their competition are not only famous manufacturer but also china competition.
No. 4 A single core windowsphone can outbeat a dual core android. Just imagine a quad core WP vs a quad core android that will make android a joke with its constant lag.

No. 5 Android keep getting over price and over price example samsung galaxy SIII plastic and cheap casing with quad core cost of an iphone with nothing special.

For windows phone user they will notice the marketplace are getting more and more apps even famous apps are available including games and social app. The trend is same last time was symbian then become iphone then blackberry then android after ppl bored of android guess where will they switch?
[ This Message was edited by: michelletan on 2012-08-13 17:07 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi