Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Apple > Apple ends China iPhone store sales after launch issues

Author Apple ends China iPhone store sales after launch issues
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2012-01-15 02:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thanks Ricky,

I am not sure yet, I guess maybe I will only want a Chinese - English - Chinese dictionary that has an English menu!

Maybe I will not even bother with one if I find the applications on my phone and iPod are good enough

Sent you a pm!

Ofiaich
[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2012-01-15 01:21 ]
esato since Nov, 12, 2001
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-15 16:36

On 2012-01-15 01:17:59, Ricky D wrote:
I'm pretty sure parts come from all over the world. Doesn't the camera module come from Sony Japan, screen from Samsung Korea and the glass is Corning I believe? That's just the high profile parts. The main boards are made by Foxconn in China.

Ah,I remember now but I thought the Retina display was made by LG?? And where are Corning Glass based??
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-01-15 15:37 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-16 14:21
I've just been reading about this more on a Chinese forum.

Apparently these scalpers are extremely organised and there's not just a few of them but hundreds.

There are organisers who advertise for people willing to queue for 10 hours for a payment of 100yuan (~10 pounds).

People who go and agree to the job get a coloured armband or hat to signify which group they are part of and so they know which group to follow to claim their wages for queueing and buying the handset.

The fights weren't all aimed at Apple, some of the fighting was because once Apple decided not to release the iPhone 4S that morning (probably because it was quite obvious what was going on) these 'workers' went to go claim their 100yuan from their employers because they had effectively done their job of queuing.

The organisers then didn't want to pay up because they hadn't got their product so the workers turned on the organisers and some organisers turned their work force against Apple.

There are some reports of groups of 500 people coming into the city by way of several coaches/minibuses, all of which working for the same group.

The sad thing is that some confused elderly people thought that the queuing was for train tickets (because train tickets are the only thing that have ever been worth queuing for in China leading up to Chinese New Year when everyone wants to go home to their families) and spent the whole night queuing for train tickets to find out that the queue was for iPhones and that even they weren't going on sale!

Images from the day

This stuff really is beyond belief.

@Bonovox I thought the screens were Samsung actually but either way I think you get my point
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-16 15:44
AFAIK, LG do make the IPS Retina Displays for iPhone. Samsung make AMOLED displays.

Thats incredible Ricky D
Shows you how important it is to have a clear understanding ofevery market you go into, realy bad PR for Apple.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-17 01:33
In China this hasn't hurt their reputation at all but quite the opposite. Everyone in China (when I say everyone I mean literally everyone who is Chinese), believes Apple products to be the best and wanted an iPhone because it shows their status. Now you can't buy the Phone 4S in every shop in the street the 4S is even rarer and therefore more valuable than before (and people were selling kidneys and virginity for the old iPhone 4!). Having a 4S shows an even higher status because you're part of the elite who knows how to get one.

In terms of world rep, not many people outside of China read about this, they would ave seen the headline about fighting outside the stores but not about the stupidity, short-sightedness, selfishness and lack of civilised behaviour of the Chinese. It doesn't affect the average person outside of China.

Once again Apple wins.
[ This Message was edited by: Ricky D on 2012-01-17 00:39 ]
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-17 01:47
Explains why so many luxury brands are all fighting to get in to China, i heard Burberry saw a huge upwards spike on profits once they launched in China.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson also spoke of how important it is to own a German car to gain status in China, it actualy explains a lot of what ive seen here in South Africa, we have a growing Chinese population, and many of them are prepared to buy a big Mercedes S-Class, and put their kids through the most expensive private schools while they live in a small 2-3bedroom apartment.
Its all about status for many of them.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-17 05:01
It s absolutely about status. You're right that Burburry is one of the big brands that have a big reputation here. Louis Vuitton and Chanel also, Mercedes/BMW when it comes to carsalthough they're getting a taste for Maserati recently. I've seen more Maseratis here than in London.

It's not just brands that the world see as luxury though. Many of the middle classes and 'new rich' in China haven't actualy been abroad to see what the world perceives as luxury so they are buying any foreign brand that is pitching itself right and mas it's prices up. The thesis is "price is directly proportional to quality and luxury", so what we're seeing is nobody brands or budget brands from overseas are coming into China and marking their prices to luxury price bands and selling like hot cakes.

Top example in my mind is Clarks shoes from the UK is an average standard shoe company. 20-80 average for a pair of shoes. Here they start at 200 and go up through the roof and people buy them!
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi