Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > The tablet Apple tried to stop - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Previous  123  Next
Author The tablet Apple tried to stop - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 18:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2011-12-18 18:24:53, etaab wrote:

Which is why im still asking people like Masseur who are Apple users to give us their opinions of what Apple think their competitors products should look like.

well, if I could answer that I'd be a millionaire and (probably sueing all sorts for my patent breaches )

But really, its not a question just for Apple users... The question is open to all. What do people want interfaces to look like if not icon grids on multiple pages as most have ended up with?

I suspect there is a real good idea out there for the next interface, perhaps something more minimalistic as voice recognition improves closer to 100%?
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 20:14
There is quite a difference to what Apple seeks to do versus the normal patent litigation. Apple has stated that they are not interested in licensing their major patents and they have sought, more often than not, to have competing products banned whereas they could have settled.

I cannot recall any major products being banned the way Apple is seeking to do with Samsung products therefore I cannot say that it is correct to assert that there is just more publicity over Apple's lawsuits. From where I stand Apple is being overly aggressive.

Apple's behaviour is not like a single engine failure, it is a twin engine out as in the B772 that crashed just short of the Heathrow runway a few years ago, a major event warranting the attention it gets.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-19 21:53
@ Masseur - heh, you'd make a great politician, when asked by someone about something you're very good at avoiding giving a reply.

I'd just like someone like Masseur who owns many Apple products to read what Apple have stated other companies should do to not put themselves in Apple's patent crosshairs, and then maybe share with me - just for fun like !

Even if Samsung released a tablet that looked like the Nokia 7700 tablet from years ago, i think Apple would still find something to whine about !!

Oh yeah, look its black, therefore its in violation of Apple's patents !

Apple get over yourself will ya' !
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-12-19 20:55 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-20 00:53

Sorry it just made me laugh
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-22 23:56
Right well seeing as nobody from the Apple owning camp wishes to reply to the question of what they think a competitors pad device should look like, lets roll on with the latest news from Apple's attempt at world domination.

The news which i woke to this morning has had me bugged all day long. Today i woke to the news Apple wins another patent to make it harder for other smartphone platforms. The clue is in the title. Apple have taken this patent out to make it harder for every single other smartphone manufacturer out there to release a phone which has even basic fundamental functions that have been around longer than any Apple products at all.

So to cut the long story of this patent short, basically Apple do not want people being able to use other functions of a smartphone whilst making a call. Now, first of all Apple didnt invent that function, i was using said function years before the original iPhone hit the market. So what right have Apple got to this function ? are they actually taking the p*** !?

Secondly, which is even more important, does this mean that any new Android, WP7, Symbian, Blackberry OS and the rest out there will be forced to perform no other function whilst making a call ? what will we do when we need to make a note ? add a calendar entry ? send a SMS whilst in the call ? browse the net for something you need to tell the person on the other end of the line ? All basic functions any decent OS provides !

Here is another example of patent issues, Hasbro has decided to sue Asus over the Transformer Prime name of their pad which to me is fine, i think they have a case, Hasbro simply want to protect their brand name and / or property. Apple have no right to what they have been granted in this patent

So compared to Apple ? Well Apple just simply do not want competition, they want to be the only device makers out there. They're bullies with their over offensive legal intentions to dominate the market and make it so consumers have no choice. I walked past my local Apple store only last night and saw it packed with hundreds of shoppers all like sheep buying into the Apple nonesense. I feel like i want to go in there, pitch a tent and boycott their stores with this last straw of information.

I'd love to see what the ever loyal Apple fans think about this new patent won. They'll probably think its a good thing. I know for sure i'll probably never buy an iPhone even if Apple get what they want and nobody else is able to sell mobile phones without paying Apple for every damned feature it has !!!
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-12-22 22:59 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-22 23:59
The latest I have heard is HTC phones may be banned altogether in the US. The function of being able to use the phone whilst in a call was there on even feature phones
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-12-22 23:01 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:08
That was news from the day before. Which again was ridiculous, but easier for HTC to fix with a software change.

This latest patent Apple have been granted is to deny basic features of any smartphone. They're attempting to turn other phones into dumb phones which have less function than the iDevices. The ironic thing is, Apple's devices didnt even start out with these functions back in 2007 !

The bare faced cheek of Apple, it makes perfect business sense to put your competitors out of the market, but this is taking it too far which has a direct impact on the consumer, especially people like us here on Esato and other forums who look forward to all these new functions and features our phones provide.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:10
you do seem to miss the point of patents.

if a patent is granted (and remember that is a long and drawn out expensive process, especially if it is a worldwide patent), then the patent owner expects a licence fee to be paid if other manufacturers wish to use the substance of the patent.

I am certain Apple, with all their patents, do not wish to prevent other manufacturers from using the same technology. I am certain that their patents are merely to protect their intellectual property rights, duly granted by law, in order to gain compensation in the form of license fees from other manufacturers if they choose to use them. This is a cross industry standard way of business and not unique to Apple.

It is not anti competitive unless Apple simply will not give such licences... but I have seen no news topic suggesting that anyone has even applied for such licence of these Apple patents. Everyone just wants to jump on the "Apple is getting every patent it can in order to styfle competition" bandwagon, but why would they not want to make money out of their patents?... again, that is the major reason for having such patents.

I'll be happy if anyone can post postive proof that the competition has fairy tried to aquire a licence to Apple legitamately granted patents and been denied?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:10
Well,now even BT has taken Google to court I think with the rate of the current Android sales nothing is going to happen to the competition!! I am pretty sure of that
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:21
I havent missed the point at all. Masseur, i thoroughly understand companies protecting their property and in doing so can licence it to other manufacturers. But this isnt Apple property - is it ?? you know it, as much as you wouldnt want to admit it.

Why should Nokia, Google, Samsung and the rest all suddenly have to start paying Apple for something they've had for years ? i dont know who invented this function but it wasnt Apple.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:24
I am neither in agreement or disagreement. just merely getting to the bottom of the topic

so in fact you're argument is not against Apple at all, its against the various worldwide patent authorities that grant local and/or world wide patents?
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:32
Oh no its definitely with Apple. Definitely.

You hit the nail on the head yourself when you said you've not seen any other OEM apply for such patents. But then why would they unless they have a motive of either getting competitors devices banned or by taking a chunk out of their profits !?!

I think the bottom line here is that Apple have brought a new type of innovation to the market here. But its more behind the scenes innovation. They're basically going to try to get a patent for everything. Hell, that could be a new Apple slogan.. "theres a patent for that !"

I also think the patenting agencies throughout the world need to be a little more educated, or there needs to be some ruling that governs companies taking out patents for ideas or inventions they didnt even create.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 00:41
but... Apple don't own the patent authorities (unless you're suggesting something subversive?)

also, Apple have always been in it for innovation so its good that you recognise that Given the new economic climate, businesses have to protect themselves by all means possible and available to them. This has probably not been previously so realised and used, but Apple with its resources has the money to fund this new direction.

however, you're final statement seems to somewhat agree with my previous assertion? or are ALL the patent agencies in the world so naive? I don't think so given the various recent Apple patent bans that have been subsequently overturned...
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 01:05
No i dont think Apple have any influence on them, unless the people granting the patents are pretty happy and naive iPhone users. I truly hope its not that simple otherwise we're all in trouble - Apple will probably want to patent the act of humans breathing oxygen. Or dogs chasing cats.

So basically what you're saying is, in the current economic climate Apple being a business are merely protecting themselves ? i very much doubt that. Since the world economy has been in such a poor state this past four years or so, the smartphone market has gone completely the opposite way. Theres more smartphones out there now and happy owners than ever. Moreso with the introduction of the iPhone and Android.

I think the recent Apple bans which have been overturned merely show Apple didnt have grounds in the first place. We had the same discussion a little while ago where an Esato member said all the other manufacturers have copied the iPhone, but really, how else would a touchscreen phone look with no buttons - they're all bound to look alike ! I myself cannot tell the difference between a Samsung, LG or Motorola phone when viewed face on these days, or at least the definite model even if i can tell who made it.

This all means bad news for us as consumers though. If Apple are able to keep such a patent as this, they can choose not to licence it so future smartphones are not so smart. Or, worst of all companies like Google have to pay Apple a sum of money for every phone sold. Who then has to pay for that ? not Google, not Samsung or any other manufacturer - its us the consumers.

And what happens next ? Apple buy more patents, so over the years the price of these phones keep rising. If Apple owned for example 20 patents, which cost companies like Google around £5 per patent to pay to Apple, a phone which includes all of them would cost £100 more to buy than it should do. Thats an extreme example and im sure theres rules governing how much a company can make which in turn forces competitors prices up so high they're not competitive anymore but you get the general idea.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-23 01:21
Here is a copy cat Apple phone,not a Samsung
www.gsmarena.com/meizu_mx-review-696.php

PS Sorry for another GSM Arena link Mass
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi