Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Author From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-19 23:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I am not angry masseur more irritated by Apple
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-19 23:54
sounds like paranioa to me (just kidding!)

I'm no Apple fan. I never liked the products before the iphone but since having had one, I haven't found anything else that suits my needs as much as it does. its just a simple fact. Similarly for the ipad.

I have a macbook that sits collecting dust most of the time except for when I get the odd interest to try and come up with an app to give me an early retirement. so far thats a fail!

everything else I own is NOT Apple as none of their other products fit my needs, not even the Apple TV despite me having not yet found the perfect streaming device for my TV from my PC/external drives etc.

I do like to keep things in perspective though, and when everyone is ranting about Apple claiming to have invented everything when they have either designed something and got a broad patent, or aquired such patent by other means.

I can understand the points being raised about this being anti-competition/innovative etc but if one company doesn't do it, its likely another will since it really all comes down to the bottom line and return for investors etc etc. This is just the way the technology is going these days and its not just in the mobile phone arena.
kewsvnet
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-19 23:54
wow this has turned into quite a debate! well from the title...i think i expected it to!

i am an android fan i have to admit, but i do admit that the iphone was quite an innovative device and very well designed. but even when it first came out, i knew it was not a phone i would want to get. why...because it did not offer some of the features that i had come to expect in phones that even feature phones at the time had

>no mass storage support
>no bluetooth file transfers
>locked down to using itunes (at that time)....this was the reason i steered clear of all ipod as well...I DO NOT LIKE BEING LOCKED DOWN TO ANYTHING

enter android...sure in many ways it did build on the UI of iOS (or iPhone OS at the time) but it brought with it all these features that apple were never going to provide for me. so it actually filled a gap in the market which existed....it delivered a nice touch UI with all the features I wanted. if apple had listened to customers requests and brought these features in...i may not have seeen the need for android

what i hate is the current patent system, i feel it hinders progress and innovation rather than help it. in technology these days nothing is new! everything is built upon works of others. now if people sue everyone for building on something they have done previously...how is it ever going to be possible to make any progress forward....its like asking them to reinvent the wheel everytime u have a new car design!

apple seems to abuse this patent system to the maximum!! which really annoys me...because they cannot and will never give me the product i want and then they stop other companies from giving me the product i want!!!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:01

On 2011-11-19 23:54:20, masseur wrote:
sounds like paranioa to me (just kidding!)

ah yes something somebody said elsewhere here. Paranoid over a mobile
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:02
I truely hope so Massuer, as ive always held your opinion quite highly. Moreso when you were the one who years ago gave me my first Gmail invite which ive used ever since. Hows that for irony !

Funnily enough, i find its the people defending Apple who seem to be the ones more aggressive. Boinng is the obvious example, where he jumped to make a huge post to counter what i said earlier in the thread, which made out like i had not understood the link i posted, that im against Apple for all the wrong reasons. Which i simply am not.

I love all smartphones be it an iPhone, a Symbian, an Android or even Blackberry. If i could afford one of every type i really would carry about on my person 5 different mobile phones with various operating systems.

Something funny happened yesterday, an iPhone 4 owning friend showed me his phone running iOS5, and when i pulled down the notifications area he was like whats that !!, even i a guy whos never owned an iPhone knew how to use it better than he did. I also had to setup his phonebook for him since his contacts were all messed up.

Put it this way, if someone gave me a 4S, i'd keep it, use it and love it. I love the phone, i just dont like the company behind it and the nonesense they churn out to the media, the lies they tell and their attitude of its our way or no way (via court intervention) !
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-11-19 23:03 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:09
agreed there's no mass storage support but we've had 32gb in an iphone for a couple of years and there is now 64gb. How much do you propose to add to your nexus?

and anyway, there are 3rd party solutions for using sd cards etc if you really want to.

I think since the T68 came out, I have done about 5 bluetooth transfers. Is that really something that is so common that alternative methods for transferring content are not enough?

itunes is exactly the reason I like the iphone ecosystem. all my phone content is in one place and I don't have to start up several apps each morning to get what I need onto my phone. it just happens.
but, as I have said before, you only ever had to use itunes for activation. there are plenty of alternatives to get content on the phone if you don't want to use itunes. these days you don't even have to use itunes to activate!

so, are Apple abusing... or using... the patent system? is Apple at fault or is the patent system at fault? big question...

anyway, its clear now you'll be very happy with your nexus. it looks to be a good device from what I have seen.

@etaab, the respect is definitly mutual
[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2011-11-19 23:13 ]
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:30
I don't think the nexus has microSD support either tbh it's not the most impressive phone, when seeing what's out there, the only thing going for it is the fact it runs ICS, but without it, it's just a relatively (overpriced) high end boring phone with nothing new or innovative hardware wise. I see it having a market for people who want a true google experience, or can't wait till ICS comes out on other devices.
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-11-19 23:31 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:33
Like on the previous Nexus S why did Samsung again choose not to put Gorilla glass on the Prime??
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:36
Both my wife and my daughter have had the iPhone 4 since autumn -10 and they are happy with it, but they both had to get it replaced after 9-10 months due to the home button stopped functioning The replacement phone my daughter got is lagging and freezes a lot, camera is really slow to. That is poor quality imho. My wife lost content because she had not taken back up and that wouldn`t be necessary if there was a memorycard slot Not everybody are technofreaks who know how to back up properly For me this is the advantage of expendable memory, content is safe if my phone crashes
So I prefer Android for these reasons:
- expandable memory
- blutooth file transfer (use it every day, phone to pc, phone to phone)
- Filemanager (copy-paste-move files etc)
- Mass storage (copy paste)
- Date and time on camera pictures (when viewed on the phone)
- Widgets
- Customize the phone to my needs and wants

And I prefer to pay a company that has it main focus on developing technology instead of trying to stop others
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:38
True me too!! I have seen a video of transfering files between NFC devices. It looks even more easy than BT
Phone?? What phone??
kewsvnet
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:45

agreed there's no mass storage support but we've had 32gb in an iphone for a couple of years and there is now 64gb. How much do you propose to add to your nexus?

its not about the size its just i like for the memory to be removable and swappable...and i would much rather have it in my phone than need a 3rd party solution for it

I think since the T68 came out, I have done about 5 bluetooth transfers. Is that really something that is so common that alternative methods for transferring content are not enough?

i did use it quite regularly...may be a little less at the moment...but still use it from time to time...and the other solutions seem like a little more effort or require signing in to other services which I am not keen on

itunes is exactly the reason I like the iphone ecosystem. all my phone content is in one place and I don't have to start up several apps each morning to get what I need onto my phone. it just happens.

yeah i think i did mention itunes being a reason 'at that time' but the google system works great for me on android!

so, are Apple abusing... or using... the patent system? is Apple at fault or is the patent system at fault? big question...

IMHO i think both at fault the patent system is shit! and apple are taking full advantage of this shit system! till they started suing everyone there was a lot less of this patent war going on! so they are one of the prime examples who have shown us what a shit system it is!

anyway, its clear now you'll be very happy with your nexus. it looks to be a great device from what I have seen.

actually after using a touchscreen only device...i realised i prefer physical keys...another feature i will never get with apple...and hence probably not going for nexus either...i m quite happy with xperia mini pro!!

PS these are all just my own personal preferences!! and i m sure there are many out there with other preferences that are not fulfilled by iPhones! hence the need for choice!

the point i was making is apple should stop suing other manufacturers who can provide customers with devices/features that they can / will not and instead of suing other step up their game and provide the features that people want or not worry about them! this patent war is only stifling innovation!
[ This Message was edited by: kewsvnet on 2011-11-19 23:48 ]
kewsvnet
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 00:51

On 2011-11-20 00:38:55, Bonovox wrote:
True me too!! I have seen a video of transfering files between NFC devices. It looks even more easy than BT

i am not 100% sure on this...but i think NFC is just used to identify the devices and establish a BT connection between them for transferring the files so BT is still required!

"Android Beam is a new way of triggering almost any type of proximity-based interaction. For example, it can let users instantly exchange contacts, set up multilayer gaming, join a chat or video call, share a photo or video, and more. The system provides the low-level NFC support and the sharing UI, while the foreground app provides lightweight data to transfer to the other device. Developers have complete control over the data that is shared and how it is handled, so almost any interaction is possible. For larger payloads, developers can even use Android Beam to initiate a connection and transfer the data over Bluetooth, without the need for user-visible pairing."

Source
[ This Message was edited by: kewsvnet on 2011-11-20 00:09 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 01:00
@etaab, I'm sorry if you think I'm being "agressive" in my replies, I'm used to be painted as the apple fanboy around here (although like masseur I never owned or was interested in an apple product before the 3G iPhone). It is a bit ironic that while I'm jumping around angrily, you're the one being busily "enraged" about things and typing all your responses in bold.

You've misunderstood the patent thing, for all your protests - Apple didn't patent location services for the sake of it, or even at all, they simply bought an existing patent from someone else who *would* have used it against apple and probably every other company that infringes it otherwise, because that's how the patent system works - if you don't defend your patents, you lose them. Your assertion that they're now going after everyone else or expecting others to pay them is baseless. I guess they might become fodder in the Samsung suit because that's how both sides have to play it, but to suggest that they got this patent just to beat others up with is completely wrong.

I find your selective memory over "antennagate" strange. Yes Apple's first response (and jobs infamous though factual "you're holding it wrong" email) was poor. But then they held their hand up and offers amends. And while the antenna design on the 4 may have had a particularly acute and easily illustrated problem, no, I don't think they were lying when they pointed to similar issues on other phones, I've seen it happen and the notion of internal antennas performing better or worse depending on how you held a phone certainly wasn't a new one on me. In fairness one of their examples was actually the previous iPhone, and they had a video up of that doing it too.

As for being enraged at the iPhone 4S for not matching the fictional iPhone 5, I guess you're not alone, but to me it's still a pretty absurd poison to take. Whether its the phone for you or not, the 4S is a perfectly competitive, and objectively in some areas at least "market leading" smartphone for late 2011, early to mid 2012. Any other company would have put thin a different case, called it the iPhone 5, and probably a lot of slightly silly people would be happier now, but instead it's an S to the 4, just like the 3GS was to the 3G before it. The mythical iPhone 5 on the other hand was a fiction dreamt up by tech bloggers and an unimaginative press, to be enraged by its non-appearance is as sensible as being enraged by the non-appearance of unicorns and pixies. As day follows night there will be an iPhone 5, and a 6 and a 7, but which train you wait for is up to you.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 01:16
I think I am loosing the will to live, what a better way to spend a Saturday night...

Anyway to your last point about the name of the 4s, they went for that name and it's nothing to do with the fact that they were trying to be honest about the lack of features this brought from its predecessor, people aren't stupid if they had called it the iPhone 5 people would have still been annoyed, the name of a phone hides nothing when the facts are clear. New camera, new processor, nothing else. Also your last sentence we wont be waiting for an iPhone 5, because it already exists.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-20 02:12

On 2011-11-20 01:16:13, adsada wrote:
I think I am loosing the will to live, what a better way to spend a Saturday night...

That made me chuckle
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic