Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?

Previous  123 4 ... 91011  Next
Author From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 23:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think itunes is dreadful software. All it ever does is constantly freeze or crash. You may think it a dim view of it but talking to your phone for it to do something. Why?? I can see it being handy when your driving but otherwise what does it do your fingers can't??
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-14 23:52
While that might be true of itunes in the early days, or those with unreliable pc's with all sort of junk installed, I can't recall when itunes last hung or crashed for me and I regularly run the betas (i.e. all during the iOS 4 and iOS 5 beta cycles).

No disrespect but I think I mentioned your limited view of the world previously, and if you don't think that we'll all be talking to every device in the future then certainly you should reconsider. Most sci-fi movies have people talking to the computers as far back as 2001 - a space odyessy, dark star, blakes 7, star trek, tomorrow people etc etc. its an expected eventuality as it is a far more efficient interface compared with manual data entry. The limitation has always been computer comprehension but we're starting to get the processing power and technology to achieve that so it won't be long before we're talking to our microwaves, TV's and more as this becomes more an everyday feature...
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 00:03
I know iTunes can be lousy on the PC, and that's a shame. A while after I got my first iPhone (the 3G) I was so impressed with it, that when I was shipping for a replacement for my old laptop I ended up with a MacBook, and iTunes on the mac is such a different beast that to not use it would just be bizarre. It's fast, easy, crashproof, everything it really ought to be on windows.

I'm mixed on Siri, it's fun when it works and it has the potential to be far more than it is at the moment (certainly in the UK). The idea goes way beyond just saving you a few keystrokes - this is a proper attempt at AI coupled with voice to produce a real personal assistant - something you can hold a long conversation with, that will learn and attempt to answer/perform any task, not just what's in its repertoire. In reality it's more limited than that, and I'm one of those that - right now - feels a little awkward trying to talk to it in public. But that may change, and certainly not everyone has that hangup, a lot of people are getting on with Siri just fine.

Siri isn't the killer feature of the 4S for me, that would be a toss up between the speed and the camera. The effortless speed and graphical perfection of the thing is immense. The camera meanwhile is superb, the first time I've ever genuinely felt like I probably don't need a separate camera anymore, the phone in my pocket can actually outperform some of the standalone cameras I've chosen to use in the last couple of years and I enjoy using it too.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 00:38

On 2011-11-14 23:52:55, masseur wrote:

No disrespect but I think I mentioned your limited view of the world previously, and if you don't think that we'll all be talking to every device in the future then certainly you should reconsider.

I don't think not seeing the point of talking to a phone or pc is a narrow view of the world I am a very open type person about everything. I just don't use or see the point in these features. Maybe you might think I will if I used it for a day but seeing many videos on it I don't think so. As for itunes,I have Windows 7 64 bit with Quad core pc & I recently downloaded it to get an exclusive to itunes track(annoying) & it just was slow,crashing & having to constantly restart my pc all the time. And itunes is useless at finding most of the album artwork. Sorry I just don't like it
Phone?? What phone??
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 00:40
I agree that I cannot stand iTunes, though I've only ever experienced it on a PC but its just frustrating to use I went back to WMP which (although the latest version on Win 7 is poor) when downgraded I prefer it, maybe it's to do with it being from a mac, I'm not a fan of the interface on OSX with the tiny circles as the window buttons and is just don't like it. Getting back on topic, I think Siri is the future though I will not like how Apple will almost certainly take the credit for it, even though the idea has been around for ages. I think the S2 has a similar feature? But there is already app like Vlingo, but Siri being a main selling point for the 4S and the 4S getting all the media coverage that the iPhone is used too it will stand out as the start of it all, and although Apple bought it from the people who created it, I think this will be forgotten.

It inevitably will be the future, I can't say I feel confident enough to use it properly though in public and don't think it will catch on for a while. It's one of those things that just now is still quite gimmicky and most people will try it out when first getting the phone, and not look at it again. Android users, there is a copy cat app called iris on the Market which it quite fun to mess around with, and yes I am sure it wont be as good as siri but still not bad considering it's freeware

Think its a bit cheeky actually from Apple to buy siri and take it off the App store, then sell it as a stand out feature for the 4S just to have 'more' reasons for 4 users to upgrade. Like hell it can't work on the 4 or even the 3GS! (yes I'm sure they've developed it since it was on the App Store and integrated it into iOS, but still... does it really need the A5 processor to run it?
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 00:57
I think what people don't get with the whole "Siri could run on the 3G" argument is that it's much more than just an app on the phone - in fact the phone side of things is pretty trivial. At its heart Siri is a complex cloud service that will be costing Apple money to provide en masse in terms of server time, development etc. For 4S users that's covered in the purchase price, but for the older phones it would be a loss-making freebie. It would also MASSIVELY extend the potential user base to several times that of anything the 4S is likely to generate in the near future, and considering the current beta service is occasionally oversubscribed as it is , that would probably be disastrous.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2011-11-15 00:02 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 00:59
@bonovox, I'm running a Sony Vaio with windows 7 ultimate on an i7 chip with 8gb and itunes starts instantly everytime and is superb at downloading all my morning video podcasts without issue so I can't explain your issues.

@adsada, I see you still can't comment on something without somehow discrediting Apple. As it happens, Apple took on Dag Kittlaus, the co founder and CEO of Siri who was an important part of the continuining development of the software taking it to what it was when released on the 4S.

and of course if Apple buy a product and take on the CEO they are going to remove it from the App store until they can develop it more with the originators help and make it an integral part of the o/s. I'm not sure what the issue is with that? All the big companies (Microsoft, IBM, HP etc etc) are always buying upcoming outfits and integrating them into their products but somehow unexplicably the fact that Apple did this with Siri seems to be singled out?

Siri is an important part of the 4S, but its only one factor of its selling points, except for those that wish to dismiss everything else about the 4S and focus wholly on that as its an easy target since its still in beta.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 01:33
Yes masseur I have also 5 gig of pc ram and it's 2.93ghz so my pc is fast. My internet connection is the new 40% faster 3UK dongle which is is very fast. But I do notice a lot before that it froze when connecting to iTunes store. But I cannot see it being my internet making it crash surely. Never mind I uninstalled it now
Phone?? What phone??
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 01:55

On 2011-11-14 21:08:21, cobbler wrote:
But I think the best phone i ever owned in all my time was probably the P900i.

I hear that... The P800 was the step forward, but in a Fisher Price kinda style, and the P900 was the real deal that followed... Great days they were...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting the G-Nexus... You guys chatting about iOS and Android have got it good... I'm using a Bold 9900 and crappy OS7! I prefer Android for my personal use, but for my mum its iOS all the way!

Roll on the release I say!
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-15 11:28

On 2011-11-15 00:59:33, masseur wrote:

I see you still can't comment on something without somehow discrediting Apple. As it happens, Apple took on Dag Kittlaus, the co founder and CEO of Siri who was an important part of the continuining development of the software taking it to what it was when released on the 4S.

and of course if Apple buy a product and take on the CEO they are going to remove it from the App store until they can develop it more with the originators help and make it an integral part of the o/s. I'm not sure what the issue is with that? All the big companies (Microsoft, IBM, HP etc etc) are always buying upcoming outfits and integrating them into their products but somehow unexplicably the fact that Apple did this with Siri seems to be singled out?

Siri is an important part of the 4S, but its only one factor of its selling points, except for those that wish to dismiss everything else about the 4S and focus wholly on that as its an easy target since its still in beta.

You've miss understood what I was saying, I don't have issue of taking down a product down to develop it, what I find kind of cheeky is this app was taken and then made to be used as a stand out feature in the 4S, and sold as if it has some innovative USP. Does this glorified app really deserve to be a main seller feature for the phone? Yes sure they've developed it since it was an app and integrated it into the OS, but it's not that amazing or special and think of the people who had this by downloading it off the store who have the 3GS then being told it doesn't work on older devices even though this has been proven through illegal methods. Similar to facetime this will be a product that Apple created which wasn't the first, but the way they kick and shout about it, people will lend to believe that it was.

And I don't understand your last paragraph sorry
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-17 23:09
The thing which concerns me at the moment as always is Apple's megalomaniac attitude in attempting to stop everyone else doing anything. How ? see todays news:

Apple granted yet another patent, forces everyone else to cough up. Everyone !

If this is their way of getting my custom, by forcing me to buy their phones because nobody else can offer what i want because of Apple's throw money at it to buy your custom attitude, they can stick their iDevices up their unmentionbles.

After reading this news, Apple have made me angry yet again !!

This is exactly what companies like Sky do, they buy rights to tv shows which then you can only get on Sky. For example, the Lost series, which were aired on UK terrestrial tv years ago and then when season 3 came around, i would have to fork out £40 a month for a Sky subscription. So i refuse, i'd rather go without. Everytime i get stopped in the street or in the supermarket by Sky salesmen, i tell them to off, with a specific four letter word prior to it.

Apple are the very same. I actually think i now hate Apple.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-17 23:14
Don't get me started on this crApple are to me nothing special. So in their world everyone should pack in now & give up??
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-17 23:30
Even though your comment is very anti-Apple, and im sure Masseur will be here any moment to do the usual Apple defence comments, its very true.

Apple enraged me in July'10 when they attempted to downplay and deny their antenna issues with the 4. They enraged me again when they got the Galaxy Tab banned across europe, which then only took place in Germany. Only now can Samsung sell their Android tab there now its been redesigned. They enraged me yet again several more times during this past 6 months with their continuous court battles. Some would argue its tit-for-tat and Samsung et al are all doing the same, but really Apple started the ball rolling and have filed the most legal complaints to get their competitors products banned or at least with lesser features.

They enraged me again only last month with their pathetic 4S upgrade, or lack of. Same screen, same lack of features, same speech about how great their product is. Siri ? its the same product as Vlingo but just developed a bit more. They talk like they invented the wheel !

And now this news i posted, where Apple apparently could file suits against everyone who has location based services which literally applies to every software house and hardware manufacturer out there.

Apple need to do one and stick to making iPods, at least they were virgin products which made Apple look innocent. As time goes on with each new iteration of iDevices, Apple come across more and more as big fat cats who are so greedy and want to pay to bully their way to success.

Rant over. Final straw. I hate Apple.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-11-17 22:33 ]
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-17 23:51
And all the Apple fans buy it like lambs to the slaughter. It annoys me when they try to stop Samsung selling a product of theirs cos it MAY look similar.
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-17 23:51
Apple is always acting like they have invented everything and too many people are stupid enough to believe them
[ This Message was edited by: rikken on 2011-11-17 22:53 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic