Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?

Previous  123 ... 8 91011  Next
Author From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 23:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There isn't any doubt that apple didn't bring along the app store that was nothing like had been seen before, but then at that time when the most popular type of phone was of a nontouch 2" nature and had a keypad. How could you expect something like the app store, all phones had their own store from SE with their Play Now! to Nokia as mentioned. But app stores we see today were inevitable, as phones developed to be more powerful, apps would be developed to take advantage of this and to provide a great user experience and help achieve things made otherwise difficult.

I am now going to step back from this rather heavy debate. It has become pretty stale...
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2011-11-21 22:07 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 23:20
Ok, to be honest it is all semantics, let's just agree that Apple's first appstore was a bit of a leap forward from "Download" anyway.

@Bonovox, I think you might be showing your age there a bit, as Masseur says there were many entirely serious smartphones around before 3G itself even existed. Ericsson started down that path with the R380 but Nokia had the first Communicator a few years before that. My first smartphone was SE's P800, which predated the iphone by five years and was thoroughly 2G too.

If you read my post above you'd see I didn't think the first iphone was a smartphone either, though for a different arbitrary reason - the fact that it couldn't run any third party apps (or first party for that matter, other than those built in) didn't fit with my own definition of the word. The addition of the appstore a year later changed that, although the fact that the iphone 3G was (a) faster, and (b) cheaper to buy certainly helped my decision too.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 23:32
... although of course the first jailbreak came out very soon after the first iphone did, and not long after that there were apps aplenty via that method
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 23:52

On 2011-11-21 23:20:19, Boinng wrote:
Ok, to be honest it is all semantics, let's just agree that Apple's first appstore was a bit of a leap forward from "Download" anyway.

@Bonovox, I think you might be showing your age there a bit, as Masseur says there were many entirely serious smartphones around before 3G itself even existed. Ericsson started down that path with the R380 but Nokia had the first Communicator a few years before that. My first smartphone was SE's P800, which predated the iphone by five years and was thoroughly 2G too.

If you read my post above you'd see I didn't think the first iphone was a smartphone either, though for a different arbitrary reason - the fact that it couldn't run any third party apps (or first party for that matter, other than those built in) didn't fit with my own definition of the word. The addition of the appstore a year later changed that, although the fact that the iphone 3G was (a) faster, and (b) cheaper to buy certainly helped my decision too.

I am 40 in January I think I said it wrong. Yes,I am old enough to remember the old Nokia Communicators & I myself had the P800. What I mean't to say was the first iphone was not 3G enabled when 3G had been out for a long time before. To me a smart phone THESE days without 3G is a useless device. I know we have Wi Fi but that's not always possible to use everywhere
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-22 00:17

On 2011-11-21 23:32:06, masseur wrote:
... although of course the first jailbreak came out very soon after the first iphone did, and not long after that there were apps aplenty via that method

Very true, I guess I've just always been a bit of a prude about jailbreaking - I hated the idea of spending so much money on buying into a phone only to start taking it apart (figuratively speaking) and relying on random hackers for updates etc. I think personally I needed official support for it to count...

@bonovox fair enough, I'm only a sprightly 37 myself! I think "smartphone" has always meant different things to different people and I guess it's changed over time, I'd have accepted a 2G smartphone in 2007 if that was the only thing wrong with it, but I've come to appreciate 3G a bit more since then.
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-11-22 00:25
Smartphone or not...iOS gave me the best experience that a mobile OS could offer.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 19:17
Clearly Apple's store is the best by far, i'll hand that to Apple.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 19:35
A smart phone to me means I can do everything in my hands there & then wherever I am. I don't need apps unless the app makes it easier or requires me to do it. A smart phone to me lets me,surf,email,communicate anywhere,have fun with media & photos,share things with other people wherever I am,or even save my life if I am in trouble. It makes even internet banking possible on the move,navigate walking or driving. Basically,it is now the age of your pc on the move in your pocket!! And make calls too I think now no matter what,who or where makes our devices we should all be happy & get along & forget if we don't like Apple or HTC or Samsung!! Even though Apple may annoy alot of us I think we should just forget it all. Apple won't destroy the competition & that's that
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-23 19:34 ]
Phone?? What phone??
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 20:03
Well said. I get defensive about apple because there's so much hate (and love) out there for the iPhone, but really I don't care who makes my phone, as long as it does what I want and fulfills that dream of that full-on computer in my pocket that I, and many of us here at esato have been chasing for years. That's what the smartphone is for me, and it is all about what you can do with it, and the sheer usefulness of it. To be honest without the AppStore the iPhone, for example, still doesn't do all that much more than a regular phone out of the box - and less than some - so it falls to all those 3rd party devs to do the rest, but luckily they do a pretty good job.

The old P800 showed me the way personally, and I like to think that the iPhone (and, yes, Android) picked up that ball and ran with it.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 20:16
Yes,I have come to a point now & decided to stop arguing on here about who is better & what's crap!! It's just making the forum less of a nice place to be with people rowing. Although yes it's still good to have a debate
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 20:18
@Boinng... ditto...

OMG: I feel a group hug coming on!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 20:19
Dont go too far Mass, i still hate Apple.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-23 20:21

On 2011-11-23 20:18:45, masseur wrote:
@Boinng... ditto...

OMG: I feel a group hug coming on!

I like that!! @ etaab,you should buy an Apple on Orange network,your life would be fruitful
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-11-23 19:32 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2011-11-24 01:37
Ahh, the P800... Oh the memories... and not forgetting the 9110 Communicator, great memories a plenty...

The big G has come out and said they have a fix lined up for the volume bug so dont fret or fear...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-24 01:40
I preferred the p900 to the p900. Anyway that's good for the bug fix and I guess they had to fix it quickly.
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 8 91011  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic