Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?

Previous  123 ... 78 91011  Next
Author From iPhone to Galaxy Nexus - How is the Android experience compared to iOS?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 15:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'd simply point out that people have been confidently predicting the failure and end of what we now call iOS since before the first iPhone was even released - it's nevertheless hung in there somehow and consistently built on its own user base year on year, month on month, despite the ever more intense competition. Don't forget that when you include tablets and other devices (like the iPod touch) IOS still dwarfs android - its only in smartphones that android has a lead.

It may only be gradual evolution but iOS has changed continually too - this is the OS that originally had no third party software support at all and then fathered the first AppStore, after all. Ironically Apple and Jobs' original vision was all about web based apps using html5, so what Facebook are doing is just catching up with that past.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 20:09
Apple didnt father the first app store, they fathered their own first app store.

I dont know who did, but my Nokia N93 had the Download! app store in 2006. It was a simple webpage like store where you could buy apps, download them for free all in one place on a Nokia server.

I must admit when the first iPhone appeared i snubbed it due to its not being a smartphone since it could not install apps on it. It was like a really expensive dumb phone that at the time i compared with a friends and admitted it was pretty and lovely to use, but very basic. Back then, i didnt think the iPhone would fail but i did think it would be king of the dumb phones. I was really surprised when Apple launched their app store with their iOS update which came with it.

I still dont class any iPhone as a true smartphone to this day if its multitasking isnt true multitasking. Sorry Boinng.

Id still love an iPhone 4S though, but it couldnt be my primary device.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cobbler
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 20:11
Starting to get a little bit worried now after all the stories of bugs with the volume. I hope mine is alright when it arrives. Can't wait to play with Android though.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 20:16
I doubt it'll be an issue to be honest, it might not even be a software bug but faulty batches of hardware which is often the case.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 20:47
Well,is it not down to Google now with ICS for bug fixes & updates?? Not Samsung??
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 21:03
Both, but primarily Google. If it were the S2 it would be a different story.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 21:27
@etaab - the Apple appstore was the first incarnation of what we now know by the term - more than a webpage but a fully integrated system for finding, installing, and (most usefully in some ways) updating apps - it set the template for Android and even established players like WM and Blackberry, not least because it was astronomically more successful than anything that went before it.

I also snubbed the first iphone, and dismissed it as a smartphone for its lack of third party apps - I'd long since bought into the idea of the smartphone as a "proper" little computer in your pocket, and the original iphone just wasn't that, it was a feature phone with a nice screen, web browser, and ipod. I remember looking at it in the store and making a point of being unimpressed, with my thick-as-a-brick Tytn II weighing down my pocket. Now that was a "proper" pocket computer, with a little tilting screen, keyboard, multitasking, HSDPA, GPS, the works. Of course it was an unbearable POS to actually use, but it ticked every possible box you could use to qualify the term "smartphone" at the time.

Then the iPhone 3G arrived, complete with fledgling appstore and Exchange support. I switched, and even though it was the fourth smartphone I'd owned, and the only one that didn't do multitasking (at all, at the time), it was also without doubt the best, most enjoyable, most useful, and most productive smartphone I'd ever had. And the rest is general Esato-annoying history.

I've no idea what intangible criteria you're basing your rejection of IOS's multitasking on (which has moved on considerably since the 3G), and I don't really mind, I wouldn't swap the iphone's implementation for anything - the day I find myself looking at a task manager and manually killing apps again is the day that my smartphone experience steps back at least three years.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 21:39
The only thing i can remember the Download! service didnt do was install if for you, or update the app. That was all manual, but it was an app store prior to Apple's. This is another typical example of where Apple, not the iPhone or its users such as yourself annoy me, becaue im sure in the past they've probably claimed they did create the first app store which they didnt. They simply modernised the concept just like their UI did on touch screen phones.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:00
But seriously though, if Nokia's own "download" service on the phone couldn't install or update the apps, then how it can really be compared to the appstore - ok, I get that you could describe it as "a store for apps", in the same way that you could describe the ZX Spectrum section of WHSmith's in 1982 as "a store for apps", but neither is an appstore in the modern sense of the word. Apple's appstore was a success because of the ease with which you could not only buy but install apps, in one seamless process all on the phone, with updates delivered automatically in the same way - that wasn't done before Apple, and it's exactly what the other stores have tried to emulate since, Nokia's included.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:12
I remember the Nokia Download! function on my N95 and it was rubbish. Its name was literally describing all it could do, and it didn't do that well.
This post from elsewhere pretty much summed up most peoples feelings of Download! at the time and this one from Steve Litchfield here summed up its demise and Nokia's lack of foresight.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:30
The first iphone Boinng could not be taken seriously as a smartphone as it never even had 3G
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:41
It doesnt matter whether it was rubbish or not, or who actually made the service. In fact im sure SE aswel as Samsung and other manufacturers had their own app stores. The point is, it was an app store, as was N-gage for Nokia which was an app store for games. That did install the games for you too. All this is an example of course of one important point.

Apple were not the first to give birth to app stores.
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:48
I used to download apps to my k750
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:50
the first iphone had EDGE, providing speeds up to 384kbps and which was called 2.5G. EDGE was developed as part of the 3G initiative by the 3GPP (3G partnership project).

But your argument is flawed in that many (many) phones before the iphone that were only 2G were considered smartphones. For example the P800, the Nokia communicators etc etc, even the Ericsson R380 before those which had a large lcd display.

@etaab, sorry, I was just giving my opinion of the facility and not commenting on who was first as this discussion seems now to be getting into the pedantics of what constitutes an app store, and once again that is open to interpretation and subjectiveness of what one expects constitutues an app store. I don't think I'm going to get into that one!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-11-21 22:57
Agreed, i just get the idea from most iPhone owners (which isnt really their fault since they're not phone geeks) that they think only the iPhone can download apps (not true) and Apple invented apps (not true) and app stores (not true).

Also i agree that data speeds do not constitute what is a smartphone.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 78 91011  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic